Author Topic: Question for void main or other senior members  (Read 781 times)

Mr Smith

• Kudos: 0
Question for void main or other senior members
« on: 13 December 2002, 08:58 »
I am asking for your help void main because I have seen your posts and you seem to know what you are talking about. And from what I have heard you are old and wise. Well, your old anyway.  :D  I was just wondering where you would recommend purchasing a Linux distro. Thank You for any help you can provide.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill

distortion

« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2002, 21:22 »
i may not be the god-like deity know as void main, but i think i can help you. first, you need to figure out what distro you want. if you just want something easy like red hat or suse, they're readily available at your local best buy, or something of a similar nature. in case your wondering about price, it's going to be about the same regardless of where you go.

but, every linux distro is available for download, including red hat and suse. most (and some of the most popular like slackware and debian) are only available for download.

check out www.linuxiso.org

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: distortion ]

Dr kelso; Didn't you get my memo about looking professional, and whereing your lab coat at all times?

Dr. Cox; well you know what? i did...and i threw it away. But then i didn't feel like that was a strong enough gesture so i erected a life like figure of you out of straw, put my lab coat on it, put your memo in the pocket, and invited all the local neighborhood children to light it on fire and beat it with sticks!

heard it on Scrubs, quite possibly the funniest show on tv

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2002, 21:26 »
I would have to ditto what distortion said. In addition to that you can order most distros online and have them shipped to you. I personally would recommend trying before buying, that's one of the great things about Linux. If you don't have a high speed connection maybe you know someone who does that can download some CDs for you.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2002, 13:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Smith:
I am asking for your help void main because I have seen your posts and you seem to know what you are talking about. And from what I have heard you are old and wise. Well, your old anyway.   :D   I was just wondering where you would recommend purchasing a Linux distro. Thank You for any help you can provide.

crikey! that's a hard one! i'd better not answer this since it's directed only at void main and other senior mambers! I don't think i'm up to the task...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2002, 13:57 »
You can also get some very reasonably priced Linux CDs at: Linux Central nice, professional CDs, and none over $10.00 (they also have the BSDs available too). You won't find a better deal than Edmunds Enterprises. Distros for as little as $0.99, although the selection isn't quite as expansive as Linux Central. They also have Linux soft available as well. I use either one or the other since all I have is dial-up.   :(  

Still, a far, far better deal than buying Win XP    

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Mr Smith

« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2002, 15:40 »
Outstanding. Thank you. Dont worry, I dont use XP but win98 is bad enough!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2002, 22:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by distortion:
i may not be the god-like deity know as void main, but i think i can help you. first, you need to figure out what distro you want. if you just want something easy like red hat or suse, they're readily available at your local best buy, or something of a similar nature. in case your wondering about price, it's going to be about the same regardless of where you go.

but, every linux distro is available for download, including red hat and suse. most (and some of the most popular like slackware and debian) are only available for download.

check out www.linuxiso.org

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: distortion ]

suse iso image isnt available for download legally i believe. Neither is OpenBSD.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2002, 00:19 »
So those two lose out.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2002, 04:43 »
You can legally host them. . . (SuSe).

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2002, 08:14 »
OpenBSD does it for some sort of security reason or something i heard. I know its extremely easy to just dl the 5 OpenBSD packages and out them on a CD to install it. Or just use the boot floppy and then dl the packages while installing.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2002, 08:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Master of Reality:
OpenBSD does it for some sort of security reason or something i heard. I know its extremely easy to just dl the 5 OpenBSD packages and out them on a CD to install it. Or just use the boot floppy and then dl the packages while installing.

Yeah, I posted about that a few months ago after talking to a few people who were involved in oBSD or something like that. . . They're doing it so people don't make ISOs with security hazards and pass it off as the real thing.