Author Topic: Who posted this distrubing thought...  (Read 1757 times)

HibbeeBoy

• Kudos: 0
Who posted this distrubing thought...
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2002, 23:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

Heh, Linux programmers have enough trouble making Winmodems work in Linux..so I seriously doubt they would be able to make Linux work on a Wineverything(not just winmodem) machine...or maybe it would be more appropriate to call the hardware a WinCPU and WinMotherboard.

That's a bone of contention with me, modems that only half work. I have an internal modem that only works with Windows. I didn't know that when I bought my PC and really I didn't care. Now I do, more fool me for buying a Dell 3 years ago. Seeing a PC with the "Designed for Windows" sticker on it is like the health warning on cigarettes, people read it but don't pay any attention to it. It's a warning poeple, not a certificate saying it's good.
Fuck it, I will just buy an external modem that will work with Linux AND Windows. That's what's meant by being in control.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2002, 23:33 »
It's not hard to make a driver for a device when you have the blue prints for said device. These modem vendors work exclusivly with Microsoft to develop a Microsoft only piece of hardware. How is not having the blue prints for said device in any way a sign of being inferior? You just have to know what you are buying and don't buy the equipment that plays favorites.

That's like trying to make an exact duplicate of the Twinkie without having the recipe, Microsoft has the recipe for the winmodem devices. No one else does. Actually the Twinkie would be easier to produce than the modem drivers. You could get "close enough" in replicating a Twinkie so that most people would not be able to tell the difference. With the modem driver you have the be "exact" or it will not work.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #17 on: 22 October 2002, 00:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
It's not hard to make a driver for a device when you have the blue prints for said device. These modem vendors work exclusivly with Microsoft to develop a Microsoft only piece of hardware. How is not having the blue prints for said device in any way a sign of being inferior? You just have to know what you are buying and don't buy the equipment that plays favorites.

That's like trying to make an exact duplicate of the Twinkie without having the recipe, Microsoft has the recipe for the winmodem devices. No one else does. Actually the Twinkie would be easier to produce than the modem drivers. You could get "close enough" in replicating a Twinkie so that most people would not be able to tell the difference. With the modem driver you have the be "exact" or it will not work.

I bought the PC 3 years ago from Dell with an internal modem and I didn't know or care how it worked. As Blackadder would say "I wear cotton but have no idea how it works". I wasn't alluding to the modem being inferior, it's just that it will only work with Windows so in that sense, it's not suitable for my needs. As I delve more into Linux the driver issues do become more apparant but that is something that will be ironed out in time.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #18 on: 22 October 2002, 00:21 »
I wasn't actually responding to your note directly when referring to the driver issue. I was more responding to Zombie and how he claimed that Linux was inferior because of this issue. This issue has nothing to do with inferiority, it has everything to do with proprietization.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2002, 00:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
I wasn't actually responding to your note directly when referring to the driver issue. I was more responding to Zombie and how he claimed that Linux was inferior because of this issue. This issue has nothing to do with inferiority, it has everything to do with proprietization.

Sorry about that. I should have spotted that.