Author Topic: Linux At School  (Read 3498 times)

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
Linux At School
« on: 31 January 2005, 11:39 »
if i can find a good livecd that has x, samba, openoffice, ect installed i might be able to persuade the net-admins to let us run them any1 know of a good livecd like that? (preferebly KDE as gui)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Linux At School
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2005, 12:26 »
the net admin will let you run software which would let you have full access to their hard drive?

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Linux At School
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2005, 13:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
the net admin will let you run software which would let you have full access to their hard drive?

Nah, just the local machine's.   ;)

If it were me, I'd let them do it, but I'd also be running damage control to isolate each box from every other on the LAN and restrict outbound connections to port 80 of the WAN.  I might open 5190 if I'm feeling generous, and 3389 for users I trust who happen to run Windows on their home boxes.  If they're running IIS, though, they're lumped with the port 80 users.   :cool:

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Stryker

• VIP
Linux At School
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2005, 13:50 »
if you run a live cd, you can easily wipe out the hard drive, or read the contents of c:\documents and settings which, in the insecure windows world, contains a local copy of every user's files who have logged in.

so, you'll be able to access other users' files, format the hard drive, install viruses or spyware onto the machine, change the administrator's password, anything on that 1 machine. while it may not affect the network, it can still negatively affect that machine. I really doubt you will, or should, get permission.

now, if the school were to install a wifi network, and you were to bring a laptop, that would be good.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Re: Linux At School
« Reply #4 on: 8 February 2005, 16:33 »
convince the admin to let you put linux on some machines... thats what i did
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 8 February 2005, 18:02 »
Quote from: Master of Reality
convince the admin to let you put linux on some machines... thats what i did

Convince the admin to let -you- put linux on some machines? It would make since if the admin installed it and the students were NOT given root access. But giving a student that power just doesn't make sense.

I was able to bring my computer to one of my classes, and keep it there for the year for my personal use.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #6 on: 8 February 2005, 21:27 »
our school has 500 students and is pretty slack about almost everything. Im kind of surprised they even have electricity.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 9 February 2005, 09:07 »
I learn Linux at my school, but we aren't allowed to go on the internal network with anything other than the computers with Windows 2000/Novell Client.

Where are the open access points when you need one?

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 9 February 2005, 14:32 »
Quote from: Refalm

They are exactly where you need them, bring a router to school and plug it in somewhere discreet. ;)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #9 on: 9 February 2005, 14:39 »
Quote from: Stryker
They are exactly where you need them, bring a router to school and plug it in somewhere discreet. ;)

Yes, but the sysop at my school isn't a moron. He's monitoring all connections and he can see when a weird MAC address is connected...

Gotta love Novell ConsoleOne :p

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 9 February 2005, 14:49 »
Anyway, I learn Linux at school. I already know most stuff anyway, but I discover some new things I didn't know from school.

We learn it from Red Hat 9. It's old, and I kinda dislike Red Hat, but it's Linux, so I don't really mind :)

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 9 February 2005, 15:52 »
You do anything like creating a console server, pppoe server, clustering, or network logins? You should talk to the school about allowing the linux machines to use their own subnet so that they can communicate with eachother. Linux without networking is pretty sad.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #12 on: 9 February 2005, 16:00 »
Quote from: Refalm

my school net-admins are as thick as a brick, they have wi-fi pionts all over the place, WEP disabled and ssid broadcast enabled :) and the ip addresses and machine names of all the boxe's and points are written on them so its easy to get ip's
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #13 on: 9 February 2005, 17:22 »
Quote from: Stryker
You do anything like creating a console server, pppoe server, clustering, or network logins? You should talk to the school about allowing the linux machines to use their own subnet so that they can communicate with eachother. Linux without networking is pretty sad.

We have our own switch for Linux training...

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #14 on: 9 February 2005, 17:48 »
What make me laugh is at work we have a few Linux/Unix machines and we're not allowed to connect them to the network for security reasons.:D This is because the network was security approved by an external body and they didn't include Linux in their approval which is very silly.

Being a company that works on MOD contracts we should be running Linux/UNIX on all our machines. I suspect the reason we're not is because Linux won't run all the software we use and the retards in the IT department are mostly Microsofties.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: