Author Topic: sugestions welcome  (Read 719 times)

Faust

• Kudos: 0
sugestions welcome
« Reply #15 on: 3 September 2003, 15:43 »
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

quote:

3.1 Which versions of NTFS can Linux read?

The Linux Driver can read all the versions of NTFS. Each version is slightly different, but the driver only has to interpret the files and directories. All the indexes that NTFS maintains can be safely ignored.

When the driver becomes able to write to an NTFS Volume, then it may be that the abilities will vary according to the version of NTFS it is writing to.

Back to the top
3.2 Can the Driver write to an NTFS volume, too?

Not really, but if you only need to copy files from Linux to Windows on a dual-boot machine, see "How to write to NTFS" below for a possible way to work around the lack of write support. For write support in Linux, read on.

There are two drivers, currently. The original driver, in 2.4 has some write code in it, but it is extremely dangerous to use it. The possibility of destroying your filesystem is very high.

The new driver, introduced in 2.5.11, has some write code, but it's very limited. The driver can overwrite existing files, but it cannot change the length, add new or delete existing files.

Adding write support will take a long time. NTFS is built like a database. Any changes you make, necessitate making changes in many places, for consistancy. Make a mistake and the filesystem will be damaged, make too many mistakes and the filesystem will be destroyed. Also, the current developers are only working on NTFS as a hobby, during their free time. If you'd like to help, please email me: [email protected].

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
sugestions welcome
« Reply #16 on: 3 September 2003, 23:58 »
EAT MORE BEEF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow that felt good.  My doctor says that I should not worry about microsoft so much.  Even with medication just the knowledge of how many millions of people buy wintel machines each year gives me a hard time sleeping at night.   Its difficult really.  My only hope is to surround myself with penguins and Apples.  YES THATS IT !!

PENGUINS AND APPLES !

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!
All your base are belong to us.