Author Topic: My experiences with RH 7.3...  (Read 401 times)

AlexMax

• Kudos: 0
My experiences with RH 7.3...
« on: 25 August 2002, 05:48 »
For reference, I run a AMD 400 megahertz processor with 64 megs of RAM.

It took some getting used to.  Things are slow as hell to start up, but once they are up, they are like...

*click*

BOOM!  Done.  Would you like fries with that?

In spite of longer loading times, the GNOME interface (maybe due to X itself) is much slicker than Windows on the same computer.  I used to have a problem with 'ghostly multiple windows' when dragging a window in Win98.  No more in Linux.

One problem.  GNOME crashes when I login as root under the graphical shell (I use graphical login so my sisters are under the illusion that I have made Linux easier for them to use).  But...

A. I shouldn't be using X if I'm root anyway
B. I hardly need to use root due to the handy 'give me the root password when I need to use their functions ' functino.
C. I can just CTRL+ALT+Backspace kill X and re-login if need be.  No messy reboots.

And I'm downloading updates as we speak.

My ATI Rage Fury Maxx is also only being recognized as a Rage 128 with half the memory.  Plus I am too lazy to find my monitors exact refresh rates (so I'm stuck in 800x600 16 bit...even with the large screen 8-bit is an eyesore)  But the Fury Maxx had it's own share of problems anyway, even in Windows, and besides, I'm sure there is a fix.

Will I ever go back to Windows at this rate?  Even with its differences (and maybe a flaw or two) my answer is a resounding 'hell no'.

Oh yeah...RPM's are a dream to use.

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: AlexMax ]

Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?
Windows XP LOSER! Go fuck yourself!

mr_nobody

• Kudos: 0
    • http://akirasys.tripod.com
My experiences with RH 7.3...
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2002, 18:25 »
What are the min. and reccomended system requirements for RH 7.3?
"The next generation of interesting software will be made for the Macintosh, not the IBM PC." -Bill Gates, 1984

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...