Author Topic: People who just installed an new OS  (Read 688 times)

mskarl

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
People who just installed an new OS
« on: 7 March 2002, 21:43 »
I thought that I'd start this new topic because I was reading on her Wednesday March 6th and decided to say Fuck Big brother M$ and get off their bull shit.  So far I installed SuSE lastnight and have managed to forget my root password.  Oh well that's my fault and not Linux's javascript: x()
Smile.  

So I'd like to hear other people that have recently became non-M$ owned and their reasons why.  

Mike
Fuck the Big Brother M$
Big brother Microsoft sucks!!! (And my spelling is horrible)

foobar

« Reply #1 on: 7 March 2002, 22:40 »
Well, mike, for one thing: i share your opinion.
About a year ago, i was a happy winblows user. I didn't thought there was anything else except Mac,
and i never had the money to buy any pc, so i also never had a mac. I heard mac was really more simplified than windows and i was happy 'cuz i thought i was smarter because windows was a *harder* OS.

Damn, how f@$# wrong was i.

Some time earlier, a friend's dad had bought SuSe Linux. I had seen the OS, and thought it looked *very* nice (KDE desktop, i later found out)
so i asked him to lend me the first cd of the seven cd's you get if you buy it in store. (Compare to macroshaft: you get 7 SuSe cd's + 2 books of troubleshooting and setup help for 'bout $50 in Holland, and for 'bout $350 (!!) you get the latest Raw-Socket-Protection-Failure of Macroshaft: Windoze xpee) I used SuSe for a while,
who ran like an angel on my slowass p133, as fast
as winblows did. But i stepped over to slackware 3.1.0 (from '96) and learned alot about linux.
The more i used linux, the more i started hating windows. You should read 'The death of a thousand strings', i don't know where it is, but if you look @ >> MES >> Other Operating Systems >> Linux/UNIX >> All reasons to hate macroshaft
you can find the link to the great article. Windows and Outlook Express are breeding nests for viruses. A friend of mine uses netscape for 5 years now and never had one single virus.

* Microsoft doesn't give you freedom, and doesn't
give diddly-squat about you. You are a method to make more money for them, and that's all.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: -=f00bar=- ]

Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

mskarl

« Reply #2 on: 7 March 2002, 23:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=f00bar=-:
Well, mike, for one thing: i share your opinion.
About a year ago, i was a happy winblows user. I didn't thought there was anything else except Mac,
and i never had the money to buy any pc, so i also never had a mac. I heard mac was really more simplified than windows and i was happy 'cuz i thought i was smarter because windows was a *harder* OS.

Damn, how f@$# wrong was i.

Some time earlier, a friend's dad had bought SuSe Linux. I had seen the OS, and thought it looked *very* nice (KDE desktop, i later found out)
so i asked him to lend me the first cd of the seven cd's you get if you buy it in store. (Compare to macroshaft: you get 7 SuSe cd's + 2 books of troubleshooting and setup help for 'bout $50 in Holland, and for 'bout $350 (!!) you get the latest Raw-Socket-Protection-Failure of Macroshaft: Windoze xpee) I used SuSe for a while,
who ran like an angel on my slowass p133, as fast
as winblows did. But i stepped over to slackware 3.1.0 (from '96) and learned alot about linux.
The more i used linux, the more i started hating windows. You should read 'The death of a thousand strings', i don't know where it is, but if you look @ >> MES >> Other Operating Systems >> Linux/UNIX >> All reasons to hate macroshaft
you can find the link to the great article. Windows and Outlook Express are breeding nests for viruses. A friend of mine uses netscape for 5 years now and never had one single virus.

* Microsoft doesn't give you freedom, and doesn't
give diddly-squat about you. You are a method to make more money for them, and that's all.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: -=f00bar=- ]

Thanks for the reply.  I couldn't find "The Death of a thousand strings" on the site.  Can you paste a lint to it?
Big brother Microsoft sucks!!! (And my spelling is horrible)

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #3 on: 8 March 2002, 02:32 »
I started out with Win 95 about 5 or 6 years ago. I was perfectly happy with it, having seen nothing particularly special about Win 98; Win ME seemed rediculous coming right after Win 98, and with Win 2000 on the way. I figured it was just a play on all that new millenium hype. So the old system was getting a bit long in the tooth, and I figured it was about time for an upgrade. I figured I'd just go ahead and get a new system with Win XP. Up till then, I'd heard about Linux, and never gave it a thought.

Last summer, while awaiting the arrival of XP, I started hearing about this new thing: WPA. The more I learned about it, the less I liked it. How could this be? They expect me to pay them for the priveledge of being treated like a criminal? If I trust M$ to give me value for my money, shouldn't they trust me to abide by their EULA? I decided that if my word, when I click on that "I Accept" button, isn't good enough for Bill Gates, then my money isn't good enough for him. The more I learned about WPA, M$, and Win XP, the less I started liking it.

Finally, I got disgusted enough over the whole thing, that I decided that Win XP wouldn't be on any new system of mine. So I took a real good look at Linux, and decided this was the way to go. So last November, I sent off for the Mandrake CDs; got me some good books on Linux from Amazon.com. As they say, the rest is history.

The more I hear about Win XP, the more convinced I become that I made the correct choice. I still keep Win 95 around on its own little partition since visiting children can play games on it, and it does run Quick Time, necessary for viewing the videos that sometimes come with audio CDs. I also want to try out the cross-platform compilation that Linux programming aids, such as FOX or Qt promise. Other than that, I don't have much use for it at all.

So far, I've installed Mandrake as the main system, Red Hat as it's the "GNOME" Linux (I've got KDE on 'Drake - I actually prefer it over GNOME, although GNOME has some great apps), and QNX.

I've since found that Linux isn't *nearly* as hard as they make it out to be. It runs great, the documentation beats the living hell out of Winders documentation (I had to figure out about 90% of what I know about running Win 95 by trial and error) comes loaded with apps, and I don't have to keep forking $$$ over to Symantec for subscriptions to WinVirus updates.

Cutting the ties to Redmond really isn't all that big a deal, not with these new Linux distros anyway.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

foobar

« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2002, 17:25 »
Ey, Anti-MS,

i was searching for a while for this article, but the result was still negative, until i found the 'history of replies' handydandy function this forum has.

Sorry for the late answer.

You can find the great article from Robert Jung at:

http://www.digiserve.com/eescape/mac/Death-of-a-Thousand-Stings.html

Enjoy!
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2002, 17:54 »
i just installed red hat 7 a couple of weeks ago...
no broadband so will need to wait to get a newer one (mandrake 8.2 i hope)
it's a huge bunch of stuff that i will take a long time to learn. How long did it take to put linux together? no wonder it takes so long to put it to work!
unlike windows, it allows you to change everything and use all its features to do what you want, so it is much less intuitive than windows. For a few years now though, people have been working on the interface problem and it's coming along nicely i reckon, and by hell it's much more stable than windows.
I do reckon that X, GNOME and KDE could do with cleaning up their act a bit though, they will give linux a bad name in the GUI based exodus from windows that will be happening in thge next few years...
X needs to be more stable and GNOME and KDE need to be more customisable. They have both dumbed it down too much, and they still aren't totally compatible with each other...
just my thoughts on my own new OS!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2002, 21:45 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:

So I'd like to hear other people that have recently became non-M$ owned and their reasons why.  

Mike
Fuck the Big Brother M$

When I first came here it was under the nick of Alpha. You can get my story/reasons from this post.
Another thread on this forum
Later
Centurian

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2002, 00:50 »
well... i started off on win 3.11, that was  a long time ago. Then i got upgraded to win95 and then 98.
I heard about Linux while i was using win 95. My brother had it on his computer, it didn't "look" as good as win95 and it loked confusing when he whizzed through commands, so i hadnt given it very much thought, till about a year later (about 2 or 3 years ago)

Win98 was boring, i wanted something that i could customize and do whatever i wanted on.
     So i got myself a copy of Linux-Mandrake 7.1 (i think) and installed it. Well, it pissed me off, because it didnt like some of my hardware, particularly my monitor. I ended up installing KDE and GNOME. I set the resolution (in the install) to the max, 1040X700 or whatevevr, and it showed up on my GUI as huge. It looked like it was 320X200.
So i re-installed linux a couple times and changed things in the install. Then it still didnt work, so i formated my linux partition and kept going with win98.

The past couple months i have been noticing just how bad windows is. I found it slow, un-customizable... I have to learn registry editing and hex-editing (for explorer.exe) to customize anything!

The other day i got pissed off desided to re-install win98 and wait a week (till i get my new motherboard) to install linux-mandrake 8.1.

But windows didnt want it that way. It wouldnt install, after 3 tries, i decided to give up, format everything (on my OS partition) and put on Linux-Mandrake right then/there.

So now i am using only linux-mandrake 8.1 with KDE as the GUI. It doesnt run at an incredible speed, but definately a lot faster than windoze does on my 200MHZ 80MG RAM machine.
I got a big book of linux which i got from my brother at my last install (see above), the book is a couple years old, but it still aplies to most things here.
Linux is so much easier than windows.

i have found out that:
"microsoft is not the answer,
microsoft is the question,
the answer is NO."
           --quote from someone's signature here.(cant remember whose)
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

mr6re9

• http://www.execulink.com/~mr6re9/
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2002, 21:59 »
I remember using win98se and all the time I spent searching for freeware/shareware. From well known sites like download.com /etc. So what if you get a few trojans on the side. Right?

Those days are gone now. It's as simple as opening GnoRPM, and clicking WebFind. You then choose a mirror to suit your distro and voila! Hundreds if not thousands of binaries.

I needed a sniffer, lets call it tcpdump. Within 5 minutes I was capturing packets from the win box on the Linux box. And no reboot! There are some interesting things coming from that win box I'll tell ya. ET phones home at each reboot. The number is windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Enjoy your new OS.

farmer6re9

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2002, 20:59 »
When XP and product activation were announced, I knew then I would never buy another MS OS.Ive used every Mandrake Linux since version 7.2, and now I have 9.0 installed on 3 computers here at home. What they dont realize is that people will not pay more for less features. I cant change my nic without asking for Microsoft's permission with XP. I dare any Windows XP user on this forum to tell me that they like this feature.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net