Author Topic: Any openBSD guru's around?  (Read 592 times)

triston1976

• Kudos: 0
Any openBSD guru's around?
« on: 24 February 2002, 23:07 »
I have a junker 350Mhz box I put together with spare parts, and painfully walked through the openBSD format and install.  In doing so I setup the three network cards 2static 1dhcp, got issued a dynamic IP from my DHCP server... Then the fun started (I know openBSD is locked down, but damn...)I checked my ifconfig everything looked good & pinged my network cards locally, but I can't even ping the box from any other system...

Another bit of fun the Xserver won't start(it just gives some bullshit error) I tried another video card just in case(obviously not the problem)then I installed SuSE and all the hardware worked fine...

I haven't had time to do much research, but I'm trying to expand my mind to the OS that boasts of 4 years without a remote hole...

Any openBSD guru's out there wanna bail me out?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2002, 04:56 »
If you *can* ping any of your cards from a machine on the same subnet but not from a machine no another subnet then that would indicate you do not have your gateway address set.  Can you ping the DHCP assigned card?

Better yet, give us the IP settings that you have assigned to each card (paste in the output from "ifconfig"). Also what is the output from a "netstat -rn"?

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

triston1976

« Reply #2 on: 3 March 2002, 08:44 »
I don't think your catching what i'm throwing void... I can ping the box locally "ping 127.0.0.1 or ping localhost", but when I ping it from a seperate system residing on the same subnet I get no response..."ping HOSTNAME"...I was just wondering if there were any BSD guru's who could save me a little time opening this thing up a bit...OH I almost forgot! Why dont you print out all of your ip and service information? Better yet why don't you give me your ip address after doing the following...
1. login as root
2. then type the following:
#touch .rhosts
#vi .rhosts
3.when vi opens up type the following:
a+
4.hit escape
5.then type the following:
:wq!
6.thats about it let me know when you done.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #3 on: 3 March 2002, 21:27 »
What the hell is the matter with you?  You get someone trying to help you and you give them shit. I assumed you had the machine on an off-net network address (192.168.*.*, 10.*.*.*, etc) in which case if you post your IP information there isn't a damn thing anyone can do with it. Even with a public IP there is nothing anyone can do with it as long as your system is secure.  But *I* certainly wouldn't post it on this message board if it is a public address.

I was going to take you through some trouble-shooting procedures but since you obviously do not need any help then we will leave it at that.  If you *do* have a private network (off-net addresses) I would get it working there first.  I assume the interface is up and you have an IP address bound to it (ifconfig will give you that answer).  Use the "netstat -rn" command to determine if your routing is set up properly.  Can you ping the IP address that is bound to the ethernet card (*not* 127.0.0.1, and *not* the host name)?

And by the way, by your attempt at describing how to create a .rhosts file I can tell you aren't very familiar with UNIX.  Are you sure you are not an MCSE?

You don't have to "touch" a file before editing it and if you don't change the permissions to owner only then it won't be used. And of course you have to have rshd up in your inetd.conf.  This would have been easier:

echo + > ~/.rhosts; chmod go= ~/.rhosts

Ok, I have my .rhosts all set up for you to log in to my machine as root.  My IP address is 10.10.0.49.  Come and get me.

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

gerry

« Reply #4 on: 3 March 2002, 12:20 »
....and the fight is on!
I'm running Win ME(Microsoft Excrement)
Everytime I touch my keyboard I feel dirty.

lost

• http://www.23.org/
« Reply #5 on: 8 March 2002, 04:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by SuSEFuckingRulZ:
I have a junker 350Mhz box I put together with spare parts, and painfully walked through the openBSD format and install.  In doing so I setup the three network cards 2static 1dhcp, got issued a dynamic IP from my DHCP server... Then the fun started (I know openBSD is locked down, but damn...)I checked my ifconfig everything looked good & pinged my network cards locally, but I can't even ping the box from any other system...

Any openBSD guru's out there wanna bail me out?

Ok the 127.0.0.1 interface is just a virtual Loopback device.  Not the actual interface.  Couple things to check, are any of the nic cards conflicting with each other?  Are there any irq conflicts with the NIC on the DHCP server?  can you ping other boxes from the BSD system if you cannot ping the bsd box from other machines on the network.  Is the BSD box doing any type of firewalling with ifp denying ICMP?  thats all i can think of without knowing more info.  No smart ass replies.  Just trying to help out since i know openbsd.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

[email protected]