Author Topic: redhat macosX & win2k  (Read 528 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
redhat macosX & win2k
« on: 21 March 2003, 05:26 »
well. redhat rocks. i open up nautilis and type smb;/// and my network shows up, and i can access both my mac & my win box. easy. i can write to everyshare, no problem. on my mac, i cannot access it at all. it doesnt even show up. on my windows box, it shows up, but i cant open it. i tried to ping the linux box from windows and that failed. but i can ping it from the mac. strange. i have no idea what is going on. im pretty sure windows just sucks, so fuck that machine. im mostly concerned with the mac. id love to be able to mount the share to my desktop so it would be easier to update my site....
i suppose i could use nfs or something. anyone have any luck getting jaguar & linux to talk freindly??

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
redhat macosX & win2k
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2003, 05:49 »
well.... i know the theory behind it. I use samba for my networking because it works with linux and windows and i have some windows computer hooked up to my network. You must setup samba on your linux box to share a directory. To do this you must edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, smbpasswd. amd smbusers.
Try "man smb.conf" and look at www.tldp.org for a HOWTO on samba.
I think redhat comes with a script that will make the smbpasswd file for you call "mksmbpasswd.sh" so just type "mks" then hit tab and see if it comes up.
But first you must make the smbusers file. it is easy.
it goes:
"real user name" = "samba user name"
i usually have both the names the same so mine looks like:
mor = mor

then you edit the smb.conf and it is commented pretty well to explain easily what you must do, i think you might be able to figure it out. I only have my home directory and my music directory shared on mine, i wouldnt suggest it but it is just as easy to share all the directories.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

xyle_one

• VIP
redhat macosX & win2k
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2003, 06:01 »
i have the smb.conf file setup. i used Void Mains as a guide. i know that it is working because i can access the other machines. i do not, however, think that i modified the smb users files. ill play with it. i had a thought though. does smb use a particular port?? becuase i could just have it blocked, whereas the other machines are open. letting the linux box access the other machines and keeping the other ones from accessing the linux box. that was just a wild guess    
anyways. thanks for the help....

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
redhat macosX & win2k
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2003, 23:07 »
yes it does use a specific port... It will say in /etc/services what port it is. I know SWAT (samba web configuration tool) uses port 901. If you are making a firewall you can just put the service name, such as "swat" instead of the port..... but i'm not sure if the service name for samba is "samba" or "smb"
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

xyle_one

• VIP
redhat macosX & win2k
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2003, 01:22 »
that was the problem. the port was blocked. all solved now. works perfectly. word...