Author Topic: Debian Installation Help  (Read 406 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Debian Installation Help
« on: 20 August 2002, 18:56 »
First time poster, long time reader...
I have installed over 20 versions of linux with 100% success. BUT, Debian is being a bitch. To be more precise, Debian 2.2R7. I'm attempting to run it off of a Toshiba Satelite 1805-S204. Hardware details at:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=128925&ct=DS&BV_SessionID=@@@@0338651007.1029851966@@@@&BV_EngineID=jadcelhjgkijbfekcghcfmfdglj.0

I get no sound, no video, no ethernet. I'm not sure about the mouse as I haven't been able to test it. It's the only version of linux I've ever had a problem of, with the exception of RH7.2, which I got the updated XFree86 stuff and it worked fine. (but of course I went right on to 7.3 which is a lot better anyways) Anyways, I heard debian was good and I want to be able to see it before I give it a sound opinion myself. Thanks people.

creedon

• Kudos: 0
Debian Installation Help
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2002, 19:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
First time poster, long time reader...
I have installed over 20 versions of linux with 100% success. BUT, Debian is being a bitch. To be more precise, Debian 2.2R7. I'm attempting to run it off of a Toshiba Satelite 1805-S204. Hardware details at:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=128925& ct=DS&BV_SessionID=@@@@0338651007.1029851966@@@@&BV_EngineID=jadcelhjgkijbfekcghcfmfdglj.0

I get no sound, no video, no ethernet. I'm not sure about the mouse as I haven't been able to test it. It's the only version of linux I've ever had a problem of, with the exception of RH7.2, which I got the updated XFree86 stuff and it worked fine. (but of course I went right on to 7.3 which is a lot better anyways) Anyways, I heard debian was good and I want to be able to see it before I give it a sound opinion myself. Thanks people.

I've never done a laptop install, so I may not be much help.  
You have no video?  Have you tried setting up Xwindow?  What version of X are you using, 3.3, 4.0, 4.1, or 4.2?
I think you're using "Potato", right?  That comes with Xwindow 3.3 in the earlier versions.  Of course, without an ethernet card configured, you can't apt-get update to a newer version of X.  Damn, I can't really help you- I just don't know enough about a laptop install.  IF you can establish an internet connection, I'd seriously suggest prowling around Debian's website; 2.2 is no longer the latest version, 3.0 "Woody" is, so 2.2 "Potato" has been moved to "archive"; you can still use apt to update, but you have to change /etc/sources.list to the new source for "Potato", and I don't know what it is.  I'm sure your thouroghly confused now, but if you can use apt to do an upgrade, I think you'll be in a uch better position to complete your install; 2.2 "Potato" was around for about a year and a half, and LOTS of changes were made, especially in the area of laptops.  Good luck, I wish I could be of more help, sorry.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

Stryker

• VIP
Debian Installation Help
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2002, 19:49 »
I'm thinking I'll just reinstall RedHat 7.3. I've tried enough to know it is the best for me. I have a windows motherboard though  :(  BUT redhat came with all the drivers for everything right out of the box. I have to install everything in winblows. I think i'll find it near impossible in debian and I heard 2.2R7 doesn't have KDE. (I love kde...)

creedon

Debian Installation Help
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2002, 21:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
I'm thinking I'll just reinstall RedHat 7.3. I've tried enough to know it is the best for me. I have a windows motherboard though   :(   BUT redhat came with all the drivers for everything right out of the box. I have to install everything in winblows. I think i'll find it near impossible in debian and I heard 2.2R7 doesn't have KDE. (I love kde...)
Yeah, Debian had a problem with QT for a while; it was something about QT not being open source- that DOES NOT mean you can't use KDE for Debian; they just wouldn't provide a package on their servers; KDE has worked in Debian sincee at least Debian 2.0.  All that's ancient history now; my Debian 3.0 Woody uses KDE as the default WM right from the official CD's.
BTW; if you have a friend that has a high-speed internet connection, have him D/L the installation from Debian's website, and burn it for you- Woody is very stable, and IMHO, the best distro available, and Woody is laptop friendly.

Stryker

• VIP
Debian Installation Help
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2002, 21:30 »
I have a fast dsl connection. Along with 20 computers in the lab next to our living room. I'll put the burner in one of them and download the 3.0 version. Although it'll have to wait till tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes when it's installed.

creedon

Debian Installation Help
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2002, 21:52 »
EXCELLENT!

TU

Debian Installation Help
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2002, 01:09 »
Woody is TOO stable for most i'd suggest testing (one up from woody) sarge you get newer software quicker and generally don't have to worry about using unstable stuff (my X is comming out of a seperate place than the rest cause i need ATI support so my X is super uber unstbl. hasn't crashed once.!)

creedon

Debian Installation Help
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2002, 19:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by TU:
Woody is TOO stable for most i'd suggest testing (one up from woody) sarge you get newer software quicker and generally don't have to worry about using unstable stuff (my X is comming out of a seperate place than the rest cause i need ATI support so my X is super uber unstbl. hasn't crashed once.!)
True.  I use Woody for my everyday stuff; I've also got Sarge for playing with and I'm gonna set up SiD this weekend; I'm doing a demo install for a couple of Linux converts.  I've got the space; all I gotta do is edit /etc/sources.list to point to "unstable" and off I go.