Author Topic: KDE is slow  (Read 1530 times)

DukePuke

• Kudos: 0
KDE is slow
« on: 5 April 2004, 19:26 »
Actualy yes, I have 3.1 version of KDE , and that windows managing, browsing files/internet is actualy not fast, i have to wait about 1-1.5 seconds to wait until directory opens, etc. Can you give some tips , how to configure enviroment for faster work? Actualy I realy have problems (slow) then 10 web pages is opened, it damn slows down much.

My komp is AMD duron 850@900MHZ
128 MB RAM
8MB integrated video

I keep turned all animations off, but cool tweak advices would be acceptable  

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
KDE is slow
« Reply #1 on: 5 April 2004, 19:32 »
The slowness is due to the QT core.

If you have that much VGA memory, just use XFCE instead. You'll be able to use all your favourite KDE programs, but it runs faster.

DukePuke

KDE is slow
« Reply #2 on: 5 April 2004, 19:36 »
man, I typed xfce in console, it added another panel in top of window, man I need to tweak, not to make my system on knees

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
KDE is slow
« Reply #3 on: 5 April 2004, 20:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by DukePuke:
man, I typed xfce in console, it added another panel in top of window, man I need to tweak, not to make my system on knees

Hahaha, no  

Do this:
Instead of logging in to your system at the console and typing the startx command to start the X Window System, you can configure your system so that you can log in directly to X.

You must edit one file, /etc/inittab, by changing just one number in the runlevel section. When you are finished, reboot the computer. The next time you log in, you will have a graphical login prompt.

Open a shell prompt. If you're in your user account, su to root by typing

su

Now, type vi /etc/inittab to edit the file with vi. The file /etc/inittab will open. Hit the INSERT button. Within the first screen, you will see a section of the file which looks like this:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

To change from a console to a graphical login, you should change the number in the line id:3:initdefault: from a 3 to a 5.

After you're done, hit the Escape button and type
Code: [Select]
press Enter and type
Code: [Select]
and press Enter.

Reboot, and you'll see a nice login screen from which you can boot KDE, Gnome or XFCE  

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
KDE is slow
« Reply #4 on: 5 April 2004, 22:41 »
Just to point out - the X11 mode in Slackware is runlevel 4, not 5 as in most distros.

As for KDE, you can speed it up by updrading to 3.2.1, or getting a 2.6 series kernel.  However, you may not be ready for that.

And try Gnome first if you want to ditch KDE.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

DukePuke

KDE is slow
« Reply #5 on: 5 April 2004, 23:39 »
Actualy Refalm, thanks, but I like way choosing/launching X style with wmconfig and startx.
btw about vi redaktor, I havent understood how it works yet    (I prefer more... uh forgot its name, beggining with "p")

WMD:
and about new KDE and Kernel... Do upgrading them realy increase my performance much? I dont want to compile this shit all night just for 2-5% performance increase.

BTW thanks!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
KDE is slow
« Reply #6 on: 6 April 2004, 00:20 »
Vi is easy. It begins in non-edit mode. To switch to edit mode, hit the INSERT key.

To save a file, you've got to leave edit mode. Press the ESC key to enter non-edit mode.

Type :w to save, type :q to quit. If you can master vi, you'd never have to worry about "hey, is pico going to be installed on that system?" ever again  ;)

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
KDE is slow
« Reply #7 on: 6 April 2004, 10:17 »
try nano or pico, FAR mor intuitive than vi for doing text editing.

just these people think that poor UI design is a good thing.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

WMD

• Global Moderator
KDE is slow
« Reply #8 on: 6 April 2004, 10:50 »
quote:
WMD:
and about new KDE and Kernel... Do upgrading them realy increase my performance much? I dont want to compile this shit all night just for 2-5% performance increase.

BTW thanks!

For KDE 3.2, you can upgrade by running pkgtool at the console, removing all the KDE packages, and then downloading the new ones from ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-cuurent.  (Or use a mirror that's faster.)  Then use pkgtool to install those.
I'm not sure how much faster 3.2 is, but its faster.

As for kernel 2.6, you'll have to configure and compile that (but it takes 30-45 min., not all night).  The instructions come with the tar.gz file.  Then you (unfortunately) have to reformat your swap after booting the new kernel: mkfs.swap /dev/hda3 or whatever your swap is.  The 2.6 kernel will help more than the KDE upgrade, but its a bit tougher.

EDIT: Use pico, it's easier than vi.  Actually, vi  is only easy to Vi fanboys.     ;)

[ April 06, 2004: Message edited by: WMD ]

My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

WMD

• Global Moderator
KDE is slow
« Reply #9 on: 6 April 2004, 10:59 »
Alright, for upgrading KDE:

1.  Exit KDE and set wmconfig to something else.

2.  Uninstall the packages listed here:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.0/slackware/kde/

3.  Download/install the packages available here:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/kde/

4.  Re-choose KDE in wmconfig.  Start it.
My BSOD gallery

DukePuke

KDE is slow
« Reply #10 on: 6 April 2004, 17:38 »
i dont know. i just fear. I will mess everything up and stick with gnome of other graphical enivronment (checked some alternatives and they all so sucked, lol). No no maybe in weekend,my ISP dont count data transfer during this.

Btw vi is stupid, file editing is total mess, you press insert, ok, but you go one line above and all edited stuff dissapears, lol. Finaly i got bored of this shit, end hit Esc, and I typed :q
Vi shitprompted me that file modified, not saved, and do it every time i wanted to quit.
":q" means quit right?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
KDE is slow
« Reply #11 on: 6 April 2004, 17:45 »
Damnit, vi rules  :(

insomnia

KDE is slow
« Reply #12 on: 6 April 2004, 18:06 »
quote:
i dont know. i just fear. I will mess everything up and stick with gnome of other graphical enivronment (checked some alternatives and they all so sucked, lol). No no maybe in weekend,my ISP dont count data transfer during this.

Btw vi is stupid, file editing is total mess, you press insert, ok, but you go one line above and all edited stuff dissapears, lol. Finaly i got bored of this shit, end hit Esc, and I typed :q
Vi shitprompted me that file modified, not saved, and do it every time i wanted to quit.
":q" means quit right?

Vi and Emacs are the only good editors.
People who don't know this simply can't use them.
Their's no sain reason for calling Vi bad.

On your system KDE shoudn't be slow.

Don't use an other kernel(2.6) yet.
First make 2.4 working like it shoud.
Compiling a kernel mostly means disabling stuff you don't need.
If you don't do this your kernel will use alot more mem. than needed.
This is what makes your system run slow, not KDE.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

insomnia

KDE is slow
« Reply #13 on: 6 April 2004, 18:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sauron: GenSTEP Fanboy:
try nano or pico, FAR mor intuitive than vi for doing text editing.

just these people think that poor UI design is a good thing.

They don't.
They only don't care about people who fail to understand that simplicity is much more important.

[ April 06, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

DukePuke

KDE is slow
« Reply #14 on: 6 April 2004, 20:32 »
about editor vi, ppl who uses them and proud of it i can understand. Its psichologicaly explainable

"I can use vi, and you try to learn it and still dont understant, lol, i am above you, you are n00b".

Actualy we need to look at this situation from third person view. What usefull jobs you do with text editor? Actualy dont know, but probably editing some files, some configuration, or even take a look at some scripts, or misc ascii filetypes just to see structure of them. Actualy this is NOT big deal. Editing files with text editor its very small , little-taking work for most users (probably 1-15 minutes in sum per day).So why should i learn vi, read manuals and damage my eyes, then i can use pico, which is very easy to use and almost dont require learning how to use it.

And btw topic related stuff : I thinked about my situation, and i've made decisions, i am not ready to update kde / kernel. lol I am using linux only 1 week allready

thanks