Author Topic: KDE is slow  (Read 1528 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
KDE is slow
« Reply #30 on: 7 April 2004, 07:12 »
Ah, good old SimpleText  

BTW, this thread is WAY off topic.  DukePuke, sure you have been using Linux only a week, but upgrading KDE and compiling a kernel are not hard at all.  The kernel directions come in the download, and for KDE just do what I said in my post back on page 1.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

DukePuke

• Kudos: 0
KDE is slow
« Reply #31 on: 7 April 2004, 13:36 »
At last we returned on-topic
Actualy I will think about KDE, but idea about compiling/installing kernel makes me considering much, because:

1. i compiled lots of apps during this week. Only few of them worked after compiling. Much of them spited errors during ./configure, much of them during make.

2. My komp is slow, it kompiles 10 meg data about half of hour. Dunno how about kernel, he is bigger i think. I believe my comp realy will stuck with him.

3. reformat swap.. oh man , this sounds scary. Actualy yes, i fear, and most important i forgot hda# for swap..

btw thanks

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
KDE is slow
« Reply #32 on: 7 April 2004, 15:08 »
hey, buddy.

if half the stuff won't compile for you, why don't you try a different method of installing? binaries, perhaps?

grab Mandrake or SuSE and run them for now. When GenSTEP comes out, get it. It'll kill all of 'em.

Then, when you've got more experience under your belt, then give Slack another try.
Go the fuck ~

DukePuke

KDE is slow
« Reply #33 on: 7 April 2004, 16:45 »
heard somethere that new kernels has serious problems with old shitty motherfuckerboards ch!psets, like my via one (manufuckturer dfi)

[ April 07, 2004: Message edited by: DukePuke ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
KDE is slow
« Reply #34 on: 7 April 2004, 19:07 »
vim is powerful. Both in Konsole/xterm/runmode3 and X.

Just open an html file with vim (in X), it's COOL  

Commander

• Kudos: 52
KDE is slow
« Reply #35 on: 10 April 2004, 01:03 »
i know people that hate vi or vim with all their power.  i, personally, dont mind it.  it's fast and mostly simple (although i hate the fact that the backspace doesnt work and i still haven't figured out how to delete unwanted newlines).  it good for quick edits since it;s faster to type 'vi' then nano, pico or emacs!  :D
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

DukePuke

KDE is slow
« Reply #36 on: 10 April 2004, 02:05 »
You can rename pico in yout bin direktory to one stupid letter : "p", and you will race around all vi's with speed

savet

• Kudos: 228
KDE is slow
« Reply #37 on: 13 April 2004, 08:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Commander - useSuse:
i know people that hate vi or vim with all their power.  i, personally, dont mind it.  it's fast and mostly simple (although i hate the fact that the backspace doesnt work and i still haven't figured out how to delete unwanted newlines).  it good for quick edits since it;s faster to type 'vi' then nano, pico or emacs!   :D  

To delete a line, position the cursor over the line you want to remove. Type the command "dd" and it'll cut the entire line.

*side note* you can undo your cut with the "u" command, or you can paste the line somewhere else using the "p" command.
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

flap

• Kudos: 137
KDE is slow
« Reply #38 on: 13 April 2004, 15:33 »
quote:
If vi is so "simple", then why can't people just sit down and use it? Why do I find myself always reaching for emacs if I'm in the terminal, or TextEdit if I'm not?

You're making the mistake of confusing user friendliness with usability. Vi isn't "simple" to use and it's certainly not user friendly, but it's highly usable and very powerful, which is why people use it. You always seem to assume that everything should be user-friendly. Not everyone who uses a computer is a novice.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca