Author Topic: Where can I download Linux?  (Read 634 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Where can I download Linux?
« on: 18 September 2003, 10:02 »
I will soon start learning Linux so I must know...
where can I download the following latest versions. I'd appreciate some direct links because last time I tried I had trouble finding them:

Knoppix
RedHat
SuSe

Also which Linux do you recommend (and why) for someone who's been learning to inside outs of Windoze for the past  8 years and now wants to shove the registry up Bill Gates' ass? Which Linux is the easiest to learn any why?
Thanks

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2003, 10:18 »
linuxiso.org

when at linuxiso you will see two icons beside the name of the ISO the CD with the folder is a lsit of mirrors, and the CD alone is a link to download.

You can download the SuSE Live Evaluation CD (runs off the CD non installible) form Linuxiso

if you want the whole thing on your system goto
SuSE.com.

or you can buy it.  I totally support buying distros, I think that you should show your support.

I recomend downloding them with Opera, it has the best download manager I have ever seen, an dis also a cool browser.

opera.com

Seth

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2003, 10:32 »
I can't tell which one is the best as I am just a noob when it comes to Linux.
At preset I am using RH 9. Go here and download the appropriate .iso images. If you want to install on a system with x86 architecture, download the shrike-i386-disc1,2,3.iso and the MD5SUM aswell.

Now, go here to download a Windows version. Run this utility to make sure your downloads were OK.
Follow the instructions on how to burn the .iso on discs.
If you wish to use RH's updating services, after installing the OS, download from here to make your OS RH friendly.
Or you can go here and follow the post-installation instructions.

Good Luck.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2003, 11:19 »
Red Hat is NOT a newbies Distro

I don't know where the idea of RH being easy came from, but I have always thought of RedHat as the defacto Corperate desktop, nothing else.

A new user should be starting with Mandrake, it's free and easy and flexable, so even if you get better at using Linux, Mandrake can accompany you all the way up.

Mandrake has just as much support on the net as RedHat, so if you get stuck you can usually find an answer.

Mandrake is also RPM based so you only have to "Build from Source Code" as a last resort.

SuSE is a good choice too but download the Live eval first and see what you think of it before buying it.

I recomend that you as a noob stay with big names to find support, then later move off to the smaller more operation specific distros.

have a look at
distrowatch

erosnemesis

« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2003, 12:24 »
Since you are a n00b i am thinking that you have been using a windows based system. So just for you i have found a linux that is just for people who are moving from windows to linux in just the easiest way possible. I have used it before once but i thougth it was way to easy for me. here is the URL http://www.elxlinux.com . After you are there just click on the download link. the distribution is called ElX Linux.
"If money isnt made from trees, then why do banks have branches"

Doctor V

« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2003, 18:24 »
Red Hat may be a little bit more complicated than Mandrake, but it shouldn't be beyond anyone with good knowledge of computers and software, even if they've never tried Linux before.

Mandrake is nice, and more geared towards newbies (some say dumbed down).  Its worth a look though.

That tennisvarsity guy is just a stupid troll, ignore everything he posts.

V

Seth

« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2003, 21:24 »
After toying around with RH 9 for about a week now I am going to try Mandrake 9.1 this weekend. After doing a google I came across thissite.
The info is pretty straight forward for a newbie.
Wish me luck.   :D

erosnemesis

« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2003, 00:51 »
bull crap elx is a totaly dumbed down version of linux. i learned how to use linux threw this. dont listen to that guy.
"If money isnt made from trees, then why do banks have branches"

insomnia

« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2003, 07:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Seth:

Wish me luck.     :D  

You don't need luck. Mandrake is easy.

Just enjoy.  ;)

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2003, 08:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by tennisvarsity#2:
bull crap elx is a totaly dumbed down version of linux. i learned how to use linux threw this. dont listen to that guy.

You, sir, are an infidel.

Seth

« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2003, 21:30 »
Well, I downloaded the Mandrake 9.1/i586 ISO image from the Texas site (Tex Tech Uni). Checked the MD5checksum and made the CD copies. Installed the first CD and booted my computer and got the Mandrake's F1 for (further info) or 'Enter' for upgrade/install screen.
I pressed 'Enter' and my computer froze.  :eek:
I did uninstall RH 9.0 from my 2nd HDD using
fdisk /MBR and deleted all the partitions too.

Actually, I wanted to keep both RH 9 (2nd HDD) and Mandrake in 1st HDD with XP Pro.

Checked with the RH 9 disks again and the installation went fine.

I am going to try with the Mandrake (boxed version) later today and see if it will install.

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Seth ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2003, 03:54 »
Another good way to get Linux is to go out and buy any number of "Linux for dummies" type books that include your choice of distro on CD.

These will not only give you media in hand, but you can avoid the possible hassle of corrupt downloads. They'll also come with good noob-oriented installation instructions that take you through the task of installing it, which is pretty damn easy to begin with, if you stay to the more mainstream distros.
Go the fuck ~

Seth

« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2003, 21:24 »
Well, this is getting better and better.    

Apparantly the .isos I downloaded will install/work but only in a text mode    

Even in a text mode, the installation wasn't difficult at all...
I just went with the KDE, Gnome Guis, and the Office products, thinking that what I needed I would download anyway.
Then the installer wanted to go online to download security and bug fixes, and I clicked OK.
Then it asked to reboot...OK.
The computer reboots and I get three choices (text mode)
linux-enterprise...   failsafe   windows

I typed linux and I get this message from some virus checker (Trendy virus checker ?)stating that there is a virus in my computer's boot sector.  

What the hell ?   :mad:  

I immediately reboot to XP pro and run my Norton, and of course there are no viruses.   :confused:  

Any ideas ?

It is a message from Trend ChipAway Virus...
Their website is http://www.antivirus.com

What is this doing inside Mandrake ?

[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Seth ]

Faust

« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2003, 14:54 »
I would say your BIOS is doing it.  Go in there, there is probably a setting about turning off boot sector virus protection blah blah.  My asus motherboard has it enabled but Ive never had a problem...

While your at it you may like to email your motherboard makers and tell them they suck donkey balls, and that there is a fair chance things trying to modify boot sectors may actually be non Windows OSs, and that it may be nice to actually check that.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Seth

« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2003, 20:33 »
Faust,
      Yep, I already emailed ASUS about it. Weird, it didn't have any problems with RH 9.
      Mandrake installed fine but I have no graphics. During installation, I configured my GeF4 and ViewSonid monitor but no dice.
      Even dowloading another distro off Rutgers Uni gave me the same thing. Text only installation.
      Well, I am going to buy the boxed version today (might aswell contribute to Mandrake), that is once the traffic settles down; game today in town and the traffic is atrocious.
       Yep, I am going Mandrake!   :D     :D

[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Seth ]