Author Topic: The revolution begins...  (Read 2265 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
The revolution begins...
« Reply #30 on: 21 July 2004, 00:49 »
quote:
Yes, sorry, the command line does have it's place.
This is a main criticism I have with NT and Windows in general.

I don't. I used the classic Mac OS for years and never needed a command line. It has none at all. Classic Mac OS can't boot without a video adaptor.

quote:
All versions before Win95 used the DOS kernel to allocate memory. Win95 provided DPMI which slowed things down a lot, they should have just rewritten DOS to be 32bit.

No they shouldn't have. And Windows/386 did not use DOS for memory management.

quote:
Also every new feature was always implemented in Windows and never in DOS, if the just added it to the DOS that Windows runs on, it would be a lot better. They used separate drivers for dos and windows, if dos was 32bit the same drivers could be used.

When Win95 was released, you didn't need DOS drivers unless you specifically intended to use DOS on its own. The DOS box in Windows would use Windows drivers for everything.

quote:
NT should also have a DOS like commandline without the need to load the GUI.

Recovery console. Included with 2000, XP, and Server 2003.

quote:
MS should have never ditched DOS completely, they should have just made it unnecessary for normal people to know it.

I fully disagree. DOS was a crutch. It was seriously holding the software back. Look at the difference in Windows Me and Windows 2000. They're very similar, save for Windows Me is built on the Win95 kernel, and 2000 runs on NT.

quote:
The same should happen in Linux!

The command line should be there just in case the GUI goes down, and for vary rare ocasions where it is more efficient to use the command line.

You mean kinda the way it is?
Go the fuck ~

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
The revolution begins...
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2004, 01:01 »
quote:

That mode doesn't run multiuser, or network, or anything else.  It's like "linux -s".
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
The revolution begins...
« Reply #32 on: 21 July 2004, 01:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:

I think he means that all settings should be don from a GUI (= a very bad idea and not how UNIX-like systems work)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
The revolution begins...
« Reply #33 on: 21 July 2004, 01:17 »
quote:
That mode doesn't run multiuser, or network, or anything else. It's like "linux -s".

very good point.

I thought Server 2K3 added "Recovery Console with Network"

quote:
I think he means that all settings should be don from a GUI (= a very bad idea and not how UNIX-like systems work)

It always worked for NeXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, and OS X.

but, I do agree... and GenSTEP will be fully open to the console. there should be console versions of all hardware configuration for UNIX, since you could do something like change a graphics setting in X11 and render it useless... if you don't know how to edit the config file, then you should have a good way to change these settings
Go the fuck ~

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
The revolution begins...
« Reply #34 on: 21 July 2004, 02:21 »
Jimmy you didn't answer my question. I hate you.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
The revolution begins...
« Reply #35 on: 21 July 2004, 02:26 »
I was refering to this distro when I said 64MB  of RAM.

quote:

That's why a command line should be even more integrated in any GUI.
A GUI itself is bloat

True.

quote:

What you seem to want is GUI build in the kernel.
That must be the worsed idea ever.
Do you really think any Linux user would like this.

No.
I just mean that it should be totally unnecessary to learn the command line.

quote:

Even Windows for Workgroups used a native Windows protected mode for some things.

Yes, you could install a 32 bit library and even run some Win95 software in Win3.11

And there was an earlier implementation of Win32 which is the one I think you're referring too. If I remember rightly it only let you allocate 32-bit memory for data, it was shit because you couldn't executed any code in these "extended 32 bit segments" although you could swap it in and out of them.

quote:

No they shouldn't have. And Windows/386 did not use DOS for memory management

Then why did you need HIMEM.SYS loaded to run windows?

quote:

When Win95 was released, you didn't need DOS drivers unless you specifically intended to use DOS on its own. The DOS box in Windows would use Windows drivers for everything.

They souldn't have used MS-DOS in the true sense of the word.

quote:

I knew someone would say this.

Have you ever used recovery console before?

Do you know how much shit it really sucks?

You can't run any programs, either 32-bit console or 16-bit DOS.

It doesn't even allow you access to My Documents.

It doesn't load any CD burning or USB drivers so even if it did it would be fucking useless.

quote:

I fully disagree. DOS was a crutch. It was seriously holding the software back. Look at the difference in Windows Me and Windows 2000. They're very similar, save for Windows Me is built on the Win95 kernel, and 2000 runs on NT.

I agree with you.
DOS Sucks.
This was just a bad choice of words on my part.
NT should have a proper command line interface. You should have been able to boot Win95 and run 32-bit console programs, use the USB, printer, CD-ROM, all with the windows drivers in text mode. In short, they should have ditched DOS16 back in 95, and used NT, but made the GUI optional. You don't need a GUI for a file server.

Anyway why the fuck are we arguing about Windows?

Windows!

It's not even worth discussion!

I try to do my best to forget the old Windows shit!

quote:

The command line should be there just in case the GUI goes down, and for vary rare ocasions where it is more efficient to use the command line.

Sort of true, but will knowledge command line be even less inpotant in Komodo Linux?

It would be fucking excellent if all the setting could be adjusted in the GUI. Linux being an operating system that promotes choice, you should also be allowed to use the traditional command line without any graphics if you wish.

How easy will it be to install, set up and troubleshoot new hardware?

You've even said it your self:

quote:

the system needs to be greatly simplified in the respect of hardware troubleshooting.

If you don't believe me Jimmy then check out this thread: http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002564&p=3
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
The revolution begins...
« Reply #36 on: 21 July 2004, 02:37 »
quote:
Jimmy you didn't answer my question. I hate you.

What question? It's possible I missed it with everybody blathering about this off-topic bullshit here.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
The revolution begins...
« Reply #37 on: 21 July 2004, 03:03 »
Tux was just ripping the piss out of me, for saying:

quote:

Anyway you haven't answered any of my other questions Jimmy.

This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
The revolution begins...
« Reply #38 on: 21 July 2004, 03:06 »
quote:
I was refering to this distro when I said 64MB of RAM.

That's totally unrealistic. We're not making a bare-bones, stripped-down system here. Grow a pair and buy some more RAM.

quote:
I just mean that it should be totally unnecessary to learn the command line.

But you just said that there should be a command line in Windows for troubleshooting. Make your damn mind up.

quote:
Yes, you could install a 32 bit library and even run some Win95 software in Win3.11

>sigh<

Thick. There were parts of Windows that were full 386 protected mode dating all the way back to Windows 2.11/386. Windows For Workgroups added "32-bit Disk and File Access", which used 32-bit filesystem drivers.

quote:
And there was an earlier implementation of Win32 which is the one I think you're referring too. If I remember rightly it only let you allocate 32-bit memory for data, it was shit because you couldn't executed any code in these "extended 32 bit segments" although you could swap it in and out of them.

Earlier implemenation of Win32? You mean Windows NT perhaps?

Look... Win32 is the 32-bit Windows API. You're thinking of "Win32s" which was a free add-on for Windows 3.x that let it run limited 32-bit Windows apps. It wouldn't work with Windows NT or Windows 95 apps, as they utilized the full Win32 API.

quote:
Then why did you need HIMEM.SYS loaded to run windows?

Because Windows loaded as a regular real-mode app that would then switch to protected mode. Without himem, it would not be able to access enough memory to load itself into RAM.

quote:
They souldn't have used MS-DOS in the true sense of the word.

No, they should have used some kind of magical orb that projected the image of DOS instead.

What should they have used then? They were doing their best to provide a good system that maintained backward-compatibility. They pretty much succeeded. You could leave Windows 95 entirely and run in MS-DOS so that you could run troublesome DOS apps. Tell me something... you're an AutoCAD user and you just bought AutoCAD R12, which ran on DOS (it wasn't until later that a Windows version was released). You have the original DOS version, and you get Windows 95.

AutoCAD will NOT run in the Windows 9x DOS box, nor will it run in the NT DOS VM. What you propose is something similar to the NT VDM, therefore, screwing over people who run finnicky apps, like AutoCAD. I don't know about you, but I don't think there's any way  that I'd make the decision to drop real DOS support if I were in charge of 95.

[/quote]I knew someone would say this.

Have you ever used recovery console before?

Do you know how much shit it really sucks?

You can't run any programs, either 32-bit console or 16-bit DOS.

It doesn't even allow you access to My Documents.

It doesn't load any CD burning or USB drivers so even if it did it would be fucking useless.[/quote]

That's because it's a recovery console. How about you start a project to create tools that will run on recovery console?

quote:
I agree with you.
DOS Sucks.

This was just a bad choice of words on my part.
NT should have a proper command line interface. You should have been able to boot Win95 and run 32-bit console programs, use the USB, printer, CD-ROM, all with the windows drivers in text mode. In short, they should have ditched DOS16 back in 95, and used NT, but made the GUI optional. You don't need a GUI for a file server.

As stated before, there's no way that NT would have worked. There were too many bossy DOS apps. Besides, Windows 95 was more advanced than NT in many ways when it was released.

I've got an idea. You go find Windows NT 3.5 and run it and tell me if that's better than 95.

quote:
Anyway why the fuck are we arguing about Windows?

Because you hijacked my thread so that you could bitch about more bullshit.

quote:
[FU] Windows!

It's not even worth discussion!

I try to do my best to forget the old Windows shit!

Then shut up about it.

quote:
Sort of true, but will knowledge command line be even less inpotant in Komodo Linux?

I'm not sure about Komodo, but my aim for GenSTEP is to make the command line about as important as it is in OPENSTEP or Mac OS X.

quote:
It would be fucking excellent if all the setting could be adjusted in the GUI. Linux being an operating system that promotes choice, you should also be allowed to use the traditional command line without any graphics if you wish.

Uh, not in Komodo or GenSTEP. If that's what you want, then get Slackware. Komodo and GenSTEP are optimized through and through for the user, meaning GUI.

quote:
How easy will it be to install, set up and troubleshoot new hardware?

Seeing as we're still working on our hardware layer, I don't know. We plan it to be true plug-and-play. We hope it to be as good as Mac OS X. That comes with a price though. "Officially supported" hardware will be only a subset of all the hardware that exists today. Beyond that, you'll deal with normal Linux compatibility, which is still quite good.

If you give a shit about the 3D desktop, get a new vid card. That Savage Pro won't cut the mustard.

I kick ass.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
The revolution begins...
« Reply #39 on: 21 July 2004, 04:56 »
quote:

That's totally unrealistic. We're not making a bare-bones, stripped-down system here. Grow a pair and buy some more RAM.

Ok, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. If this OS is going to be as good as you say it is more RAM might be worth the money, but I hope you're not going to expect me to upgrade every year, just to run the latest version.

quote:

But you just said that there should be a command line in Windows for troubleshooting. Make your damn mind up.

Exactly, when all is well, and you just want to install some hardware or software the command line shouldn't be needed. But if somthing goes wrong with KDE, say an essential file get fucked up, you should be able to boot into text mode command line and be able to fix the problem.

Windows 3.11 used protected mode for many reasons, apart from disk buffers and Win32s, but like you said, I think we're talking about completely differant uses of protected mode in Win3.1 FUCK WINDOWS you're right this isn't the place to talk about Fucking Windows but NT4 kicked Win95Bs arse! If hard drive Fucks up Recovery console should be at least allow you to back up your files!

Oh sorry, I promise to shut up about Windows now.

quote:

We plan it to be true plug-and-play. We hope it to be as good as Mac OS X.

That's good    

quote:

That comes with a price though. "Officially supported" hardware will be only a subset of all the hardware that exists today.

That's not so good.

quote:

Beyond that, you'll deal with normal Linux compatibility, which is still quite good.

So I would be right in asuming that if your hardware isn't "Officially supported" you will have install it the usual long winded Linux way, oh well that's not too bad I suppose.

quote:

If you give a shit about the 3D desktop, get a new vid card. That Savage Pro won't cut the mustard.

That sounds like more bloat to me, unless it has a useful purpose other than to look pretty.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
The revolution begins...
« Reply #40 on: 21 July 2004, 06:16 »
No, the Savage Pro is an old card.  My dad has one he got in 2000.  That's pretty old.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
The revolution begins...
« Reply #41 on: 21 July 2004, 08:49 »
quote:
Ok, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. If this OS is going to be as good as you say it is more RAM might be worth the money, but I hope you're not going to expect me to upgrade every year, just to run the latest version.

No modern desktop OS is happy in less than 256. Most of them today want 512. Just live with this and get 512.

quote:
Exactly, when all is well, and you just want to install some hardware or software the command line shouldn't be needed. But if somthing goes wrong with KDE, say an essential file get fucked up, you should be able to boot into text mode command line and be able to fix the problem.

Okay, so the way it is. Great. Just to let you know, that's already the way things are.

quote:
Windows 3.11 used protected mode for many reasons, apart from disk buffers and Win32s, but like you said, I think we're talking about completely differant uses of protected mode in Win3.1 FUCK WINDOWS you're right this isn't the place to talk about Fucking Windows but NT4 kicked Win95Bs arse! If hard drive Fucks up Recovery console should be at least allow you to back up your files!

Oh sorry, I promise to shut up about Windows now.

Sure

quote:
That's good [Thumbs Up]

Yep.

quote:
That's not so good.

Sure it is. Nearly everybody has a GeForce or Radeon vid card, or a major-chipset mobo, or whatever. You trade the ability to use any shitty ass no-name piece of hardware, for guaranteed stability. Once you get beyond "tested and confirmed" hardware, then you've still got a damn good chance of it working well, because Linux has great hardware support.

quote:
So I would be right in asuming that if your hardware isn't "Officially supported" you will have install it the usual long winded Linux way, oh well that's not too bad I suppose.

No. If it's not officially supported, then it uses regular built-in drivers if they exist. By "Officially supported"... this means hardware that we have seen work. Stuff that has been tested and we can assure you will function right out of the box.

quote:
That sounds like more bloat to me, unless it has a useful purpose other than to look pretty.

Then you don't know what bloat is, sucka. Sounds to me like a feature that every OS is supporting because even hardware from 02 works great with it. That S3 video IS SLOW AND SHITTY. Why the Hell do you try to act like it isn't? Damn dude, get with the rest of the world.

Get yourself more RAM, and a non shitty vid card. Trust me, you'll enjoy your computer a whole helluva lot more.
Go the fuck ~

savet

• Kudos: 228
The revolution begins...
« Reply #42 on: 21 July 2004, 10:40 »
quote:

The command line user interface should have long gone, GUIs are the future. A GUI doesn't need to be big a resource hog, it is possible to design a very good GUI that uses up way less than 1MB of memory.

The command line should just be there to fall back on in case the GUI fails. Text based operating systems are still good for file servers and batch data processing systems, but they are useless for any process that requires a lot of human intervention.

First, do you want the command line to stay or go?  These two paragraphs contradict each other, even though they both show distaste for the command line.

Second, I don't think you realize the power and versatility of the command line.  Let's look at two different scenarios:

1.  I'm designing a website, and I need to create directories in my websites folder.  I can either open konqueror or nautilus and right click, create folder, type the name new_website_1, double click the folder, right click, select new folder, type images, right click, select new folder, type data,  and repeat this slow tedious process until my entire directory structure is complete.

Now, let's look at this option with the command line.

mkdir new_website_1 && cd new_website_1 && mkdir images data

Obviously the command line is the better option here.  Let's look at another one:

2. I want to install new software.  I can either run a program that formats all of the output from the configure/make/make install and directs it to a graphical program with nice pretty borders, making the output text nearly impossible to copy in case I have a problem or need to reference it later.  I should also mention that the resources needed to reformat the text and make it look pretty are wasted, and could be used to build the program faster.

An install from the command line not only saves resources, but you can direct the output into a log file.  For example:

./configure > configure_log
make > make_log
make install > install_log

You will be able to reference the entire installation and be able to find solutions to any dependency problems much easier, not to mention have a hard copy of where everything was installed.

The command line is obviously far from obsolete
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
The revolution begins...
« Reply #43 on: 21 July 2004, 11:43 »
oooh I can't wait
thanks for all your work will
I have done basically nothing
been wrapped up in life
sorry about that
I can't wait to see

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
The revolution begins...
« Reply #44 on: 21 July 2004, 11:53 »
quote:
jeffberg: Mac Capitalist: Tired of the MES?

No sorry, MES is great  ;)