Author Topic: Pinging Linux from windows - problem.......  (Read 603 times)

EdG

• Kudos: 0
Pinging Linux from windows - problem.......
« on: 23 May 2004, 16:18 »
Please can someone help, I need to be able to access my windows pc from my linux laptop, I have samba.......

I want to be able to get rid of windows from my laptop but am stuck with a family internet connection that requires a program that won't work on Linux with wine or anything, so I am hoping to share the internet connection from windows....
I have managed to network windows 98 SE (old pc) and Windows XP (laptop) and share the internet connection with a proxy server program called exproxy from download.com

So windows 98 and xp can ping each other and I can access the net on XP via the LAN, but when I try to ping my laptop from windows when it is running Linux I get no response......

BTW I've tried using netwatch and it shows that it can see the windows pc, but I cannot ping it and the windows pc cannot ping the laptop.....

I am using Linux Kernel 2.4.22 on Slackware Linux 9.1 on an Acer Aspire 1353XC Laptop.....it uses a VIA Rhine II Ethernet Adapter which is supported by Linux.

Please help...

[ May 23, 2004: Message edited by: EdG ]

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2004, 21:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by EdG:
I want to be able to get rid of windows from my laptop but am stuck with a family internet connection that requires a program that won't work on Linux with wine or anything, so I am hoping to share the internet connection from windows....

This is not a windows support forum, but perhaps if you were a bit more descriptive about the program, we could help use your Linux box to share the connection....

[ May 23, 2004: Message edited by: M51DPS ]

EdG

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2004, 23:02 »
I don't think you understood what I meant, maybe I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was:

I want to use Linux, but I want to use the internet.
I currently use windows for the internet because it is my only option.
I have networked the old family Windows 98 SE PC with this XP laptop and setup a proxy server program so I am currently on the net through the proxy server.
I want to be able to use the proxy server to access the internet on Linux, that's why I set it up.
I cannot access the internet through Linux by dialing my ISP because my ISP uses a program called RYDIAL, which only works on windows, they don't give the phone number or anything. This is not my choice, I don't have my own ISP.....

So I have a LAN setup which has internet access and I need to get it to work with Linux. I have compiled the latest version of Samba from source and the problem I have is I cannot even ping the windows machine from the Linux one or the other way round.

Hopefully that explains things.
I don't think I need to post in a windows forum as this isn't to do with windows, this is todo with why Linux isn't able to communicate with windows and vice versa. Any help would be great thanks.
In the meantime I check out my SuSE Linux 9.0 Live Eval CD-ROM to see if that can talk to windows, I haven't found anything in Slackware that could be causing the problem.....I might download another distro to try as well..
In slackware I have tried adding the ip addresses to host.allow and hosts and stuff......

insomnia

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

EdG

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2004, 23:53 »
Well I've now got the internet on Linux so I am extremely happy! Someone on LinuxFormat.com gave me the anser, but thanks anyway.
I may not bother with samba to access network shares on windows.....
Any more problems I'll ask....

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2004, 07:26 »
what was the fix?

was eth0 just not up or configured or something?
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'