Author Topic: Need help switching.  (Read 325 times)

Arkhathix

• Kudos: 0
Need help switching.
« on: 19 July 2002, 00:30 »
I'm a winblows gamer, and every day I get more and more sick of this OS.  Its slow, buggy, and gets slower and slower when you run it for a while, and of course there's the fact that Microshaft is evil.  My questions to you are:
What is the best FREE *nix system to use if its going to be used mainly for gaming.  I'm aware of wineX, so I'm wondering...what *nix has the fastes video drivers available for it..which kernel should I use? Things like that.  Ease of use isn't too much of a problem for me, I'm never against learning something new, and if it gets too tough I can always install KDE or GNOME.  ISO size isn't a problem either, I have a cable modem and I'm not afraid to use it.  In the end I want my computer to be winblows/microshaft free, but I still want to be able to run my games and such.  Programming obviously won't be much of a problem as I'm sure there are free compilers and editors out there for *nix systems.  Compatability with my winblows using friends shouldn't be a problem either thanks to progs like StarOffice.  Also, I'm pretty sure that all the little things like messengers and download managers and tools like that have *nix replacements that are equally good if not better.  So basically I'm asking what's the ideal FREE gamer's *nix.  I know this post is a bit winded and badly phrased....but its the heat and humidity are melting my brain  :(   Thanks for your replies.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Need help switching.
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2002, 00:34 »
I dont know about which distro is best for your purposes but nVidia cards are the best supported in Linux.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
Need help switching.
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2002, 01:35 »
Well Mandrake Linux produced a well recommended gaming edition (based on the 8.1 release). So maybe you could take the mandrake distro and beef it up with all the windows to Linux progs. If you want it free you are going to have to work at it, the distros will not offer their special editions for free (well not the commercial ones anyway).
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.