Author Topic: my name says it all please help me  (Read 1376 times)

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
my name says it all please help me
« Reply #30 on: 16 August 2003, 22:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by foolishpersonwhoknowsnothing:
while i am on my x p computer running big brother bill's window's xp-i have more problems

-----i downloaded mandrake 9.1 ISO - # 1 and # 2

i burnt both of them with NERO (mind you i burnt knoppix with nero 2 days ago and it worked fine_
i tried to insert the mandrake install (1) disk into my windows 98 computer while it boots

the screen pops up where it asks you what you want to do like it's supposed to, BUT then it asks where is the install disk and says that it can't find it in the c d rom drive!

please help and thx for reading

hmm...i had this problem with slackware8 when i first tried to install it.

i never really figured out how to fix it, i just got slack9 when it came out.

hope someone else can help

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

blackphiber

• Kudos: 0
    • http://blackphiber.no-ip.org
« Reply #31 on: 17 August 2003, 04:42 »
if you want and you have a fast broadband connection you can try a network install (I did cause I let a friend borrow my cd burner and still have not gotten it back yet, selling them for $10 on ebay so i don't really care).  Please correct me if I mess up or if you have any extra comments.

first go here
and pick a mirror near you.  i picked ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu cause it is pretty close to me.  anyways go into the directory dosutils and download rawrite.exe into C:\  and also get network.img into C:\ too.  put in a floppy, double click on rawrite.exe it will ask for a path i think, just type network.img
now reboot (make sure bios boots from floppy), and follow the instructions.  now for me I put down for ftp site name ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu and for directory i put /linux/mandrake/9.1/i586  worked like a charm.  hope you have success with it.  I am typing this from mandrake 9.1 right now.  I have a red hat box with 64 mb ram and it really needs 128 for the graphical environment, I have 128 on this laptop and it runs great, in my opinion it's much faster than win2k.  and I love not crashing.

Faust

« Reply #32 on: 17 August 2003, 04:57 »
Quake 3 runs natively with a patch and half life runs just dandy (Inquisitor Faust (LHL) is ranked 356 / 370 on my local dedicated cs server, yay!        ).  I've also heard that Warcraft 3 runs fine, but why would you want to play that? ???

edit :
Siplus:
To run Quake 3 grab and install the latest Linux patch.  Install that and you should get a new executable that runs natively in Linux.
To run halflife, you should be *in* the halflife directory and start it with "wine -winver win98 -- hl.exe -opengl -noipx" or similar.  You'll have to wait a bit when you join while it detects that your wavein doesnt work. (microphone.)

edit:
Just sshd to my box.  Heres my "halflife" script:
#!/bin/bash

# The cd is necessary to find custom games
cd /mnt/windows/Program\ Files/games/half_life
wine -- hl.exe --console -gl -w 1024 -noipx -windowed# 1>/dev/null

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Great_Satan

« Reply #33 on: 17 August 2003, 08:41 »
Some books I have.
I wrote most of this out before carefully reading this thread.  After you figure out how to install Linux you might need to configure some things.  They discuss things like this at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php
I have some more ideas I'll post later.

When I was looking for a good Linux book in the book store I decided to get this one since it explains a lot of things step by step in detail.  I always avoided getting any book that say "for dummies" in the title, but I made an exception with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764507443/qid=1061088123/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-8167960-133936   2?v=glance&s=books

I have the 1985 version of Mark Sobell's book (A Practical Guide to Unix System V) and found it provided me with a lot of insight into Unix and Linux.  I took a class about 15 years ago where 90% of the time we learned Unix and worked on projects in Unix.  The class I took was a 400 level chemistry course (Computer Applications to the Chemical and Biological Sciences).  I later took some computer science courses and mainly used Ada, but never used Unix.  We even learned Lisp and Prolog in one class.  Lisp and Prolog are pretty strange.  Learning about trees and graphs in computer science courses helped explain the Unix/Linux directory system.  The basics of trees and graphs are simple.  Reading my Unix book makes me think dynamic memory allocation and linked lists are being used with the Unix and Linux directory tree structure.  Unix and Linux even use links to files (read these books to find out what I'm talking about).  Learning MS-DOS helps, too.  BTW, when I took Unix about 15 years ago there was no graphical user interface (GUI).  We just used the command line.  In Linux, KDE and GNOME are standard GUI's.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/102-8167960-1339362?tag=starshopc   om-books-20&keyword=Mark%20G%20Sobell%20Unix%20System%20V&mode=books

Note the book that is selling for $1.95.  Its well worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805389156/qid=1061092882/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8167960-1339362?v=glance&s=books

I also have The Complete Linux Handbook.
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Great_Satan ]

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Great_Satan ]

insomnia

« Reply #35 on: 18 August 2003, 07:34 »
quote:
while i am on my x p computer running big brother bill's window's xp-i have more problems

-----i downloaded mandrake 9.1 ISO - # 1 and # 2

i burnt both of them with NERO (mind you i burnt knoppix with nero 2 days ago and it worked fine_
i tried to insert the mandrake install (1) disk into my windows 98 computer while it boots

the screen pops up where it asks you what you want to do like it's supposed to, BUT then it asks where is the install disk and says that it can't find it in the c d rom drive!

please help and thx for reading

Sounds like a bios problem (Prob. an error in the IDE-code).
*RETRY it a few times. (i had to reboot more than 10 times for Mandrake 9.0, after that it all worked fine...)
*Try an installation from bootdisks with extra PCMCIA support. These images can mostly be found on your first cd. You can use both DOS/windows and Linux for this. In DOS, you can find most in a dir. called dosutils (use rawrite).
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Faust

« Reply #36 on: 18 August 2003, 08:41 »
That trios hdd selector thing looks expensive and useless.  Why bother when there are better cheaper and easier solutions?

And just to clarify Siplus, half life (not wine) should be told to run in open gl, as wine supports open gl programs better than direct x ones.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

« Reply #37 on: 18 August 2003, 08:48 »
quote:

Corrupt cd's maybe?  Try checking the md5 sums of the cds (which I er...  do not how to do) and then burn em off real slowly before finalizing them.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

eaeshamdevil

« Reply #38 on: 18 August 2003, 21:36 »
thx for your reply but the install disk works on my x p computer but not my 98 computer

Faust

« Reply #39 on: 19 August 2003, 04:19 »
OK my bad.  Sounds like either the cdrom or BIOS, sorry I can't help more.  :(  Tried using a different cdrom on the 98 box?
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

emh

« Reply #40 on: 19 August 2003, 06:43 »
If I recall correctly, if you insert the Mandrake CD1 into the CD-ROM drive under Windows, there's a Windows program that creates a boot floppy disk that goes straight to your CD.

You might want to give that a shot.  (of course, you'll need to change the BIOS back to booting from the floppy)

I also recommend downloading CD3, as it has several things you might need.

Copperhead

« Reply #41 on: 19 August 2003, 10:08 »
quote:
I have the 1985 version of Mark Sobell's book (A Practical Guide to Unix System V) and found it provided me with a lot of insight into Unix and Linux.

*THAT* is an excellent book (I have the fifth edition), and I highly reccommend that book to anyone interested in "getting under the hood" regarding Linux/UNIX systems.  The Shell scripting sections are written excellently. You can find it on any of those "used book" sites for about $10 - $15 (US). That book is one of the reccomended text readings at a great deal of American Universities that have an emphasis on M/CIS and Computer Science (Maryland, Rutgers, Cal, Washington, and USC, to name a few)

"Foolish"..:

Are you, by any chance, using one of those PCs that keep a hard drive cached version of your BIOS (Compaq was notorious for this BS)?  If so, you just need to keep resetting them (BIOS) upon every boot.  A lot of OEM vendors like to keep a cache of your BIOS on an 8MB partition on your harddrive to allot for a "system restore", permitting the case where you actually decide to try something different with *your* computer to reset to "default(m)s", barring an error. If this is the case, you just need to hit your F(x) key (where x = an integer between 1 -12.. or Del) and manually reset your BIOS upon every boot.  Yeah, it is a pain in the ass, but you have two options:

1) Do the affore mentioned everytime, until you get Linux straight, and have LILO installed, or

2) 'Flash' your BIOS to a generic version that doesn't have the "idiot-proofing."

If I were you, I'd just stick to number 1) until you got it down.  You can always get Linux installed, use (Linux) fdisk, make a partition, back up the Windows drive (onto a directory on the Linux partition, or a separate FAT32 partition), and if you have a boot problem, reinstall Windows. You have Knoppix already (which is more like a recovery tool than it is an operating system) you will be fully equipped to do anything that I am suggesting.

You are using XP, correct?

XP "got smart" on us.  I have tried every method to get a peaceful coexistence between Red Hat and XP on my laptop, and nothing worked (installing LILO and Grub in the MBR, and both in the Linux partition.) Bootpart did work, however.  Bootpart is easy to use, and free. If you need them, I will provide you with images to help you through the setup.

If I were you, I'd try out the Knoppix harddrive installation. It uses Debian/Sid (unstable), but once you load up your sources (/etc/apt/sources.list) file, you can run a program similar to Apple's OS X software installer. Keep posting, or PM someone if you need more help. That is why this place is here. We all hate Microsoft, we have that much in common, and we will assist anyone who is willing to escape.  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #42 on: 20 August 2003, 15:17 »
quote:
thank you all for helping me , so much i appreciate it, my xp gets slower and slower by the minute.... billy bill know's wats up eh? as i speak im using nero to try burning the knoppix iso again, maybe i didn't do it right last time. also i'm gonna fuck around with bios now and tell it to boot from  c d instead of booting from disk. can i partition half the HD so i can half linux running 1 side and y'nknow xp on the other. is that possible? if so please please tell me how to - and is all this bios-fucking-around-with going to be reversible?

wait wait wait!!!!!!
just follow these instructions and see how you get on:
http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
i knew nothing about burning isos and would have wasted a lot of CDs if not for that page.

I suggest trying red hat or mandrake or slackware or as you say get knoppix also, just stick the CD in and reboot. It will ask you a lot of questions so perhaps find a nice easy looking and up to date "what to expect when installing mandrake/redhat etc" type of document and print it out first, eh?

here's another link of the general info type:
http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/introtolinux.html
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #43 on: 20 August 2003, 15:23 »
gak!
i'm really playing catchup here! sorry about my previous post if it was unnecessary, but what emh says here:
quote:
Originally posted by emh:
If I recall correctly, if you insert the Mandrake CD1 into the CD-ROM drive under Windows, there's a Windows program that creates a boot floppy disk that goes straight to your CD.

You might want to give that a shot.  (of course, you'll need to change the BIOS back to booting from the floppy)

I also recommend downloading CD3, as it has several things you might need.

is totally true, although i haven't tried it in XP. just boot to XP, stick the mandrake CD in the drive, put a blank floppy in as well and you should see a button offering to make a mandrake bootdisk. make one, then reboot (leaving the floppy and the CD in the drive) and it should go fine. If it doesn't, the next step is to enter the CMOS setup of your machine. this involves rebooting and then quickly checking to see what key you need to press to enter setup. it will be tab, or f2 or f10 or space or something. it'll tell you for an instant and then it'll boot up as normally. you need to catch it before it does that by pressing whatever key it is manically till you get the CMOS setup screen. now LEAVE everything set the way it already is, except make it so the machine boots from the floppy first, the cd drive second and the hard drive third. This is the corerect order for ANY computer in my opinion. reboot and bob is now your uncle, while fanny is indeed your aunt.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #44 on: 20 August 2003, 18:32 »