Author Topic: Best Linux?  (Read 752 times)

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Best Linux?
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2003, 08:55 »
I have a fedora partition on my computer, and let me tell you don't be afraid. You simply can't tell the difference between RedHat 9 and Fedora 1

Mandrake is better though, extremely stable, simple and dare I say it Fun.

I don't really like Redhat 'Cause of the way they bastardize KDE, I'll make my desktop look the way I want it to, Thankyou very much.

RIAA_blows

• Kudos: 0
Best Linux?
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2003, 05:44 »
Well...

Right now I'm stuck between Fedora Core 1, and Mandrake 9.2, I already have both of them downloaded    

I'm probably gonna go with Mandrake, unless someone changes my mind  

[ November 17, 2003: Message edited by: RIAA_blows ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Best Linux?
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2003, 06:43 »
Well, I'm in love with Slackware 9.1  :D

I installed Mandrake 9.1, and I don't understand why people praise it so much. It had trouble detecting my pretty standard hardware, the anti-aliasing thrugought the GUI's is inconsistent, and it seems to mess up alot. Maybe I had a bad d-load or something.

As to Fedora, if it's as close to RedHat 9 as they say, you should be fine. It's a great distro, perfect for noobies.

A negative aspect about it however is the slow window manager, and general slowness. I think Slackware is spoiling me  

I'm telling you, Slackware 9.1 opend my eyes! I now love me some linux, despite the archaic garbage you have to wade thrugh  :D

I think it's because RedHat and Mandrake have only obscured the garbage leaving you scratching your head when something goes wrong. Slack encurages you to learn how to manage your system at the command line level.

I could go on, but it is a very fun distro, and will teach you alot about computers. Mind you, this is a dyed in the wool Mac fan here, and I'm telling you Slack "ain't that hard".

Ok... enugh praising...

Oh.... I can't resist:

SLACKWARE 9.1 IS THE BEST DISTRO EVER!!!!!
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Best Linux?
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2003, 08:47 »
The slowness you speak of in Fedora is largely due to GNOME, that and the fact that it uses Ext3 as its default filesystem instead of the faster ReiserFS.

Slackware's GNOME runs a little faster, but I've found KDE is less prone to thrash your hard disk like crazy if you're like me and are running a machine with 128 MB RAM.

psyjax

• VIP
Best Linux?
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2003, 08:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:
The slowness you speak of in Fedora is largely due to GNOME, that and the fact that it uses Ext3 as its default filesystem instead of the faster ReiserFS.

Slackware's GNOME runs a little faster, but I've found KDE is less prone to thrash your hard disk like crazy if you're like me and are running a machine with 128 MB RAM.

Ya, well, I got plenty of RAM, and GNOME looks, and works, much better than KDE.

I also love the GNOME based apps. Anjuta is a wonderful IDE.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Best Linux?
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2003, 08:53 »
The only thing I hate about GNOME is Nautilus.  I wish they would have come up with something a little less bloated.

Having said that, the GNOME interface is superior to KDE's.  The KDE folks like tacking on features and extra menus without thinking it through, and the result is often ugly.  The default KDE theme (keramik) is also butt-ugly.  Fortunately you can change that.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Best Linux?
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2003, 14:32 »
Go the fuck ~

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Best Linux?
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2003, 18:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy james:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3638616290&category=4619

buy this and never know want or hunger again

Yeah thats what a converter from windows needs, an outdated unsupported OS. At least with linux he will get the needed technical support, and the knowledge that in 5 years, the OS will still be around. With next step you get nothing. Dont waste your time.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

psyjax

• VIP
Best Linux?
« Reply #23 on: 18 November 2003, 19:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

Yeah thats what a converter from windows needs, an outdated unsupported OS. At least with linux he will get the needed technical support, and the knowledge that in 5 years, the OS will still be around. With next step you get nothing. Dont waste your time.

Well... Old software is pretty fun to fuck around with. And a museum pice like NEXTstep would make great conversation at geek dinner parties.  :D