Author Topic: XFree86 Compilation Error  (Read 342 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
XFree86 Compilation Error
« on: 19 October 2003, 08:53 »
I've ran into a problem when trying to install XFree86 4.3 I get an error. It appears to be on /root/X/xc/lib/freetype2/bdf.c line 35, but that line doesn't have any problems, it's the last line of the file. Anyone else experience this problem before? any advice?

Code: [Select]

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2003, 03:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
Anyone else experience this problem before?

I doubt if this can help, but I had problem like that.
In my case it appeared to be a bug in the first release of freetype2.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Nobber

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2003, 20:39 »
If I were you, I'd install the latest freetype (2.1.5 is current) from source, and then set X to compile using that version instead of the built-in one (which is always out-of-date). There is a line in the host.def file that you can use to declare that an extant freetype is to be used:

#define HasFreetype2             YES

Of course, if you're already doing this, (a) my apologies for wasting your time! and (b) no, I haven't a clue what's wrong!

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: Nobber ]

As sure as eggs is eggs.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2003, 03:53 »
didnt have freetype installed, i would expect X to install any obscure dependencies (not glibc and gcc stuff)... people never include the important things.