Author Topic: what is SNB and NMB?  (Read 567 times)

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
what is SNB and NMB?
« on: 18 February 2003, 23:09 »
I reloaded mandrake linux on one of my new machines, but when i shut down linux, it says that the NMB and SMB (at least im pretty sure those are right) failed.  What are these and why are they failing?

JH

what is SNB and NMB?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2003, 23:20 »
Those are two Samba daemons. As I understand it says they fail on shutdown? Weird. Try to have a look at your logs at first. Than look whether they run by

ps fax

If not, it might be they are started by inetd or there is an error in your config files. See Samba logs again.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
what is SNB and NMB?
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2003, 00:20 »
SMB is samba, NMB is netbios host server (which is used for samba). I think mine fail on shutdown too... its never seemed to hurt anything and my samba works just fine over my network.

If you dont use Samba then i suggest shutting them off. If your using redhat just do:

chkconfig smb off
chkconfig nmb off

if the above gives and error then try "smbd" and nmbd" or "samba"
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

hnugz

what is SNB and NMB?
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2003, 06:17 »
Hmm well I haven't been able to get the linux machine on the internet yet.  Maybe this has something to do with the packages I installed.  At first I told it to install everything but it warned me about some things like MySQL so i decided to remove those from installation.  I suppose I shouldn't worry about it.  Thanks for the info.