Author Topic: Games on Linux  (Read 463 times)

snifftheglove

• Kudos: 0
Games on Linux
« on: 9 April 2003, 13:58 »
Hi, I'm new to these forums and am installing Mandrake later today. As I work form home all day I spend a lot of time playing games, I just want to know how easy it is to play games on Linux particularly strategy games like warcraft, stronghold, total war etc

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Games on Linux
« Reply #1 on: 9 April 2003, 14:00 »
I don't know about the other two, but I play warcraft 3 all the time under Linux using Wine.

snifftheglove

Games on Linux
« Reply #2 on: 9 April 2003, 14:11 »
Is it generally problem free - what is WINE??

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Games on Linux
« Reply #3 on: 9 April 2003, 14:28 »
WINE stands for Wine Is No Emulator. what it does is it intercepts windows system calls and translates them into linux system calls and vice versa so a windows program can be run in linux, as transparently as possible while the program thinks its running in windows and linux thinks its running a linux program.

in my experience wine is clumsy and on the ocassions i have tried to use it it has not fulfilled my requirements however i have no patience to fiddle with it and make it better, and have not given it a proper go. a lot of people talk on here as if WINE works a lot better than i have ever got it to, maybe they do get it to work better i don't know. there is another version known as WINEX which i have not tried which does the same thing but it implements directX and all that crap too, so maybe that's more your thing if you want to run games.

my advice is that if you want it to 'just work' you are in for a long wait. you might consider a closed/proprietary/sosts money program such as win4lin (which i also have not tried) instead.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

snifftheglove

Games on Linux
« Reply #4 on: 9 April 2003, 14:50 »
Cheers - I'm still installing Mandrake, I have a shitty laptop with 98 on it which i can still use for games

dot.this

Games on Linux
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2003, 04:23 »
This APT has Super Cow Powers.