Author Topic: FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue  (Read 883 times)

untz

• Kudos: 0
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2003, 02:45 »
From the FreeBSD Handbook:

Once the configuration file has been placed in a common location, configuration is complete. In order to start XFree86 4.X with  startx(1), install the  x11/wrapper port.

-----------------

If you would prefer a GUI login screen, then you don't need the wrapper.  You can install something like XDM or WDM for all users to login and start an X session.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2003, 08:26 »
with freebsd, make sure that the console mouis working like you said it was, then run xf86cfg not xf86config and setup that. freebsd handles the mouse for x so it doesn't need funny protocals in x. just setup the mouse on the console, and you should be fine. and you use /stand/sysinstall to adjust the mouse, its under the configure section. as for it being run by the user, it should work when properly configured, make sure your  

also, you might want to edit the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config file and down at the bottom in the
Section "Screen"
add
DefaultDepth 16
under the
Monitor "Monitor0"
indented part
to what ever you want the bit depth to be. x will probably load faster that way.

as for installing bash, get connected to the internet, and then as root

cd /usr/ports/shells/bash2
make install

then sit back and watch it build and install, or use the /stand/sysinstall, and gointo the configure > packages and give it a packages source and install from thier.

as for usb mice, it even picks up on the fact that its a 5 button mouse with z axis, however you have to add in the input device section if you have a scrool mouse
Option "ZAxixMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "5"#or however many it really has, mine has 7 buttons total for example

and that should do it./*ive probably repeated something somebody else has said, but ive been living the /usr/ports directory of freebsd 5.0 for about a week   :D  */
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2003, 13:06 »
is freebsd good, does it have an x config on install etc, i might make the switch / try it out for a week or so.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2003, 15:32 »
yes it's good. the install process looks a bit like debian's to me. it comes with a shitload of good software but it was a bit cantankerous hardwarewise on my laptop (not as cantankerous as red hat 7.0 though) and the installer seems to have an annoying habit of not checking if you have enough hard drive space before you start installing the packages, so you only find out you ran out of space when it fails to install the packages. still, because it installs the system first and then gives you the package selection screen, even if your packages fail, you still have a full operating system installed.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

5amYan

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.intersiege.com
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2003, 14:31 »
I will now take a moment of silence for your old laptop.

***tear falls***

I willl of course assume that it was an early sign of impending doom.

My condolences
5amYan
-- Last line of the author's current message. --

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2003, 23:10 »
okay, i installed freeBSD 4.7 on a spare slice of my desktop machine (nothing will stop me!) and have got x to work, by using the SysMouse protocol and using/dev/sysmouse which works. now startx brings me to a twm window, i just need to go and look up how to get it to go to a gdm screen with all the desktop environments listed when the system starts. somebody did tell me all that info in another thread, so i just have to look it up now.

as for that laptop it was poor design. the manufacturer chose to put the hot air out vent in the exact same place on the (plastic) case as the power jack on the motherboard, meaning of course that over time, the solder on the power jack seeps off onto the rest of the motherboard. it's been fixed once for

Doogee

• VIP
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #21 on: 23 February 2003, 07:28 »
when i get my new harddrive im just gonna go all out and have like 5 Linuces and BSDs on it.

Now i just need a new hardrive  

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2003, 18:59 »
i have a shitty maxtor 15GB drive and currently it has freebsd, dos, debian, redhat, mandrake and lycoris desktop on it.

plus a 4GB home partition.

Doogee

• VIP
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2003, 14:53 »
speak for your own shitty drive, boy.
im on a 3 gig harddrive, down from 20 gigs, damn its hard not to install stuff  :mad:

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
FreeBSD 4.7 startx issue
« Reply #24 on: 26 February 2003, 02:32 »
i should think if i had a 3Gb drive it would be easy to not install stuff!  :D