Author Topic: Simply GNUStep Linux  (Read 343 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Simply GNUStep Linux
« on: 25 April 2003, 07:39 »
Has anyone got SimplyGNUStep Linux to install from the developer CD's.  I downloaded all of the ISO's from their site, one was a demo, one didn't work, and the third was to install it.  I used the demo and love it, so now I want to install it.  I installed it but it couldn't install grub into the MBR for some reason.  So I installed RH linux and then deleted the HD except for the MBR and installed GNUStep Linux.  Now it boots and I can log in, but when I type startx I get an error, no config file.  Then I do xf86config and go through that several times, and it never works.  Then I try booting into the demo which had an xfree86 config that worked.  I mount the hard drive and backup the broken config that I made (the entire X11 folder) then I copy the entire X11 folder from the cd to the hard drive.  Then when I do startx it seems to work, but just stays black, and the only way to get out of it is to do ctrl alt f1.  So has anyone been able to install it from the ISO?  It says to stop downloading the ISO as it is to hard to use, but instead use CVS.  I would think to use CVS (which I have no idea how to use) would need an OS installed already, so I have no idea how a program in an OS can help you install another OS over it.  Any help would be appreciated, thx.