Author Topic: Why do you prefer *nix?  (Read 2813 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #45 on: 21 December 2001, 00:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by farmer6re9:
A very comprehensive summation VoidMan, and one that should put to rest this thread.

You're fooling yourself if you think you can reason with them. They do not have the ability to read and comprehend. They see what they want to see. And they wet their beds.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

condorstats

• Kudos: 0
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #46 on: 21 December 2001, 03:07 »
hey fuck you, I can read pretty well thanks, and i did find your post convincing. The only damn reason I posted in the first place was that I was wondering why the hell people go around saying dump MS, and take Linux, its sooo many times better etc... As far as I can see ( which you may not think is very far) the only major difference between Linux and say MS XP is security wise, but for simple home users, that simply doesnt matter.

I have used Linux for about 1 1/2 years, so maybe I havent given it wenough of a chance. And why do loads of people go around saying shit like Bill Gates will lead us into a Nuclear  Winter and shit. Sure, Him and MS are complete bastards, but isnt that going way too far?I do Like LInux, its what I hope for in Windows in terms of Stability and Configurability, but when it comes to lazy, ease of use, windows comes on top, which may not be good, but suits most people.

On thee Quake III Arena post, that is as you say rare. And I am willing to bet that you didnt just put the cd in and start installing it. there was probably some extra work needed. And thats what seperates WIn from LInux, sure win is as stable as a one wheeled bike, but most of the time i would rather have ease over stability. when i dont, I use linux. So finally, why dont some Linux nuts just stop telling the whole world to switch to Linux, becasue it is the only way. It isnt, and you even admit that its not the best for everything.

voidmain

• VIP
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #47 on: 21 December 2001, 04:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by condorstats:
hey fuck you, I can read pretty well thanks, and i did find your post convincing. The only damn reason I posted in the first place was that I was wondering why the hell people go around saying dump MS, and take Linux, its sooo many times better etc...

I'm sorry.     Sincerely.  I shouldn't make the smart-ass remarks, I just do it to get people riled (and it works).  I'll try not to do it in the future as it does detract from the *real* comments.

quote:
As far as I can see ( which you may not think is very far) the only major difference between Linux and say MS XP is security wise, but for simple home users, that simply doesnt matter.

I would disagree with this.  Security for home users *does* matter although most home users don't realize it. Those home users become unwilling/unknowing participants in DDoS attacks.  And they shouldn't have to put up with the virus problem (and I shouldn't have to put up with recieving messages from those users containing such viru because their OS sent it to me). They may spend a little more time getting an app installed but that isn't as much time as I've spent telling them how to obtain and install virus software and clean up their system.

voidmain

• VIP
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #48 on: 21 December 2001, 05:15 »

Louis D

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #49 on: 21 December 2001, 21:23 »
Does anyone else think that this is really funny.  This stuff happens at least once a week.  Certainly if there was another OS that ruled the marketplace it would have its share of viruses also, but this is just silly.  A default setting for plug and play appliances helps cause this problem?  Does anyone know where I can find out if my microwave is supported under XP?
Una donna barbuda sempre `e un piace.

voidmain

• VIP
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #50 on: 21 December 2001, 21:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by MeatHead:
Does anyone else think that this is really funny.  This stuff happens at least once a week.  Certainly if there was another OS that ruled the marketplace it would have its share of viruses also, but this is just silly.  A default setting for plug and play appliances helps cause this problem?  Does anyone know where I can find out if my microwave is supported under XP?

Microsoft OSs are the *only* OSs that have "viru" that I am aware of. Did pre-OSX Macs have viru? I've never seen one in UNIX (I've seen trojans but not viru).

To find out if your Microwave is supported take your XP CD, wrap it in tin foil, insert into the Microwave, turn on High for 10 minutes.  If your Microwave still works then it is not supported under XP.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

condorstats

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #51 on: 22 December 2001, 06:47 »
ok, i see your point on the security POV, maybe I have just used windows too much to really appreciate the benefits form linux. thanks for answering.

Louis D

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #52 on: 22 December 2001, 15:34 »
C:\>cd microwave
C:\microwave>dir
Directory of C:\microwave>

turkey.food 4:30pm Nov 24  eat in 25,690 bytes
anotherstupid.vulnerability 12:00am Oct. 18 69 bytes
bend.over Oct. 19 Windows bytes you in the ass again
mshomo.bat Oct. 18 69 bytes

C:\microwave> type mshomo.bat

path=C:\>bill gates in\steve ballmer's ass\
rem C:\DoJ>billgatesfinger.exe
Una donna barbuda sempre `e un piace.

gump420

Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #53 on: 23 December 2001, 05:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by condorstats:
But why should I change?? I have Win XP running fine, it has yet to crash, preview pane is turned off, built in Firewall, AV software installed. the pc just works, thats all I need. Can you name any reasons why the AVERAGE home user should use *NIX? NO better multitasking bull, most peps dont care, just some reasons why it is better.

I have to admit I would be happy if everybody suddenly decided to switch away from an M$ OS, but I know that's not going to happen. I just wish people would take the time to research Microsoft before buying one of their products.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #54 on: 13 October 2002, 04:06 »
i just wanted to resurrect this thread! it has some classic posts by people that i haveq not seen around here foqr a lo-o-o-ong time! it also features (if you go to page one) one of the, if not the, very first of the many celebrated altercations between void main and zombie64763248236478! void main characteristically tells him he is full of shit!

top entertainment! at the time this was all going on, i was still only reading the board, don think i had even signed up yet! i could be wrong though...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #55 on: 13 October 2002, 05:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by <Zombie9920>:
Windows and BeOS are true multi-tasking OSes also.

Sure, Win9x has memory leaks..but Win2K and XP don't. Windows NT actually has some *nix technology embedded into the Kernel. Windows NT is practically a user friendly variant of *nix with a decent GUI and mainstream hardware/software support. 90% of the people who bash Microsoft Windows has a low end computer that can't run Windows worth a damn, that is why they choose *nix. Hell, I have tried Mandrake and RedHat Linux and I think thier GUI is awful(hence why it is fast). If you pay attention to it you will notice that the GUI in those 2 OSes were inspired by Windows(they even have a little bar at the bottom of the screen that works like the Windows Taskbar/start menu). I'm not saying *nix isn't bad because it really isn't..but Windows isn't near as bad as the *nix geeks make it out to be. If Windows was so bad then why does it hold over 75% of the market? Windows had to be something to reach such a high stature in the market. People don't buy shit if it isn't worth a damn. Remember, Windows can do everything *nix can do and more.      

Well calum i never saw this thread so I need to leave my mark like a dog on Zombie's post    :D  
 His post is so wrong, in so many levels it aint even funny.

My PC  
 3 40Gigs Digital Western 7200 rpm
 Abit AT7: Supports the fallowing-->

-AMD Socket A XP 1500 + 220  
-SUper I/o, USB 2.0 IEEE 1394.

- VIA KT333 and VT8233A that support 1600/2100/PC 2700 DDR SDRAM
- 266 Bus speed
- AGP 1x/2x/4x
- ULTRA DMA 133/Raid, support for  DMA 33/66/100
- HPT 374 (HighPoint) It can connect up to 12 IDE devices along with support of RAID 0/1/0+1
-System Bios Soft Menu
-Built in Sound Card RealTech
-Built in RealTech 8100 NIC card

Gforce 3 64 DDR by Visiontech
 XP 1600 1.5GHz
 SOund Blaster 512 Sound Card

Not bad I would say so, yes ?   ;)  
Oh yes, my PC runs RedHat 7.3 and NOTHING else.

And i thought Windows copied anooother OS when it came to their GUI.
  What about them apples.

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Yeah

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #56 on: 13 October 2002, 05:24 »
quote:
If Windows was so bad then why does it hold over 75% of the market? Windows had to be something to reach such a high stature in the market. People don't buy shit if it isn't worth a damn.

Read the sig for the answer to this one.

Everybody has already given you enough answers to all your questions.

Remember this: Microsoft, if given the chance, would delete every other OS on the planet if possible. Not for the sake of the consumer, but for the sake of profit. Bill Gates is a greedy bastard period! He doesn't care about operating systems, or computers. He just cares about profit. This shows in the quality of M$ products. That's why there are so many bells and whistles in windows. Eyecandy for the masses. Every feature in windows is designed to attract a pc-illiterate consumer. Drag and drop, plug and play, net passport, autorun, setup.exe, etc. So microsoft knows how to make a profit. How does this translate into "better"? It doesn't. People take confort in numbers, so if what they buy is used by the majority, then they think it is "good". The average person feels discomfort if he chooses something that is not "normal". People don't want to be a minority. So there are more windows users. So what? There are more tvs than pcs. Does that make WEBtv better? Quit looking for justification. Use windows if you want. It's just a choice.

And as for Linux, Linux Rocks! Linux just wants to exist, and have fun! If some hardware, and some software companies weren't so "closed", then maybe *nix users wouldn't be so pissed. I'm pissed at Macromedia, because they couldn't care enough to make a *nix shockwave plugin. I'm pissed because I can't run a DVD (which I paid for) right out of the box! Just because somebody wants to make a buck!

Linux works, for free or cheap. And this OS can do whatever any other co$tly OS can do period.

Oh yeah, don't forget to read the SIG!

:D
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #57 on: 13 October 2002, 05:35 »
Wow! That was a real blast from the past! I love void main's answers, especially when he tells zombie he's full of shit! Man that was refreshing   :D

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #58 on: 13 October 2002, 06:26 »
wow! i didn expect people to reply so strongly to zombie632718637128 posts so long after the fact! just wanted to let people see some of the gems that used to come up on this board all the time! makes me realise how many people never stuck around though, when i remember all those names....
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Why do you prefer *nix?
« Reply #59 on: 14 October 2002, 21:26 »
quote:
posted by condorstats:
But why should I change?? I have Win XP running fine, it has yet to crash, preview pane is turned off, built in Firewall, AV software installed. the pc just works, thats all I need. Can you name any reasons why the AVERAGE home user should use *NIX? NO better multitasking bull, most peps dont care, just some reasons why it is better.  

If you use your computer basically as a glorified gaming console, or you simply have no problems with Windows and don't care about other OS's, then I'd say there is no compelling reason to use *nix.  Use *nix if you're curious and want to know more about how computers work.  (Or if you're one of those GNU guys who thinks it is immoral to use non-free software)  With Linux, for instance, you can build your own OS (linux from scratch, anyone?) and you have access to free compiler tools and source code.  Certainly a great OS for anyone majoring in computer science.