Author Topic: SCO abandons trade secret attack on IBM  (Read 594 times)

sime

• Kudos: 4
    • http://www.azuro.com
SCO abandons trade secret attack on IBM
« on: 8 February 2004, 05:25 »
So the idiots that are SCO appear to be loosing their nerve. How refreshing....

http://www.zone-h.org/en/news/read/id=3987/

They really are a bunch of complete morons.

Later

Sime
==================================================
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

Sime@04
==================================================

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: 8 February 2004, 16:55 »
Good Job too, the asswhipe ;P

For anyone who didn't know the story...

quote:
The SCO Group has made new copyright claims over the open-source software system Linux.

In its $3 billion lawsuit against IBM which it has already been pursuing for a year, it is now claiming potential damages of $5 billion, according to court documents.

The Utah software company claims IBM breached trade secrets by using parts of the Unix operating system, which SCO claims to own.

It says these parts eventually became part of Linux, the operating system that can be used and modified freely.

An international community of software developers works on the Linux system, giving their time and expertise for free - the basis for open-source software.

The Linux operating system, with its penguin logo, is becoming increasingly popular and is potentially in a position to pose a threat to Microsoft's dominance with Windows, although that is still some way away.

SCO spokesman Mark Modersitzki said SCO's amended claims were focused on its copyright claims, adding that the company was in a "holding pattern" until the judge's ruling.

IBM has counter-sued SCO, which has also threatened to sue businesses using Linux unless they pay a license fee. SCO also faces lawsuits from other Linux-related businesses.

It is feared that attempts to license individual users could also be made.

More businesses have been adopting Linux to reduce their information technology costs.

Last month, SCO sued Novell, claiming that the business software maker was blocking its efforts to collect licensing fees from users of Linux.  
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2004, 06:48 »
Got Crack?

Get SCO.

black crow

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2004, 17:28 »
SCO should get a bloody clue! If you're going to take somebody to court, make sure you have a convincing case against them.  "It's the constitution, it's Mabo, it's the vibe, it's just...the vibe" won't cut it      

quote:
Darl McBride had stated that there "is roughly a million lines of code that tie into contributions that IBM has made and that's subject to litigation that is going on. We have basically supplied that."

"No you haven't" IBM replied, "and if you had we'd be seeing them today," in so many words. "SCO has identified no more than around 3,700 lines of code in 17 AIX or Dynix files that IBM is alleged improperly to have contributed to Linux." IBM describes this as a "significant disparity." As indeed it is.

Not only is Darl McBride a wanker, but it seems he can't count either...  :rolleyes:
I really hate this damn machine
I'm thinking I should sell it
It never does what I want it to
It just does what I tell it.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2004, 05:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by black crow:
SCO should get a bloody clue! If you're going to take somebody to court, make sure you have a convincing case against them.  "It's the constitution, it's Mabo, it's the vibe, it's just...the vibe" won't cut it      

Not only is Darl McBride a wanker, but it seems he can't count either...   :rolleyes:  

Ywea, I have this to say to McBride...

"Bad Luck, ya DICKHEAD"

Fuck I love that movie.