Author Topic: Mandrtake 9.0 problems  (Read 404 times)

AlexMax

• Kudos: 0
Mandrtake 9.0 problems
« on: 9 November 2002, 19:10 »
OK, I set up mandrake 9.0 on my system.  Ir tuns fine with graphical login until I want to log out of my session.  When I do this, my window manager (This has happened with both KDE and IcecWM) closes, the screen flashes, and a X mouse curser appears, and after a few more seconds, the whole thing freezes solid.  Period.  I can't bring up a console, I can't even Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill X or Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot cleanly, only thing that works is a hard reset which has ultimately resulted in my filesystem getting rreally messed up (I might have to reinstall).

My configuration:

- AMD 300 mhz
- 64 megs of RAM
- ATI RAGE Fury MAXX 64 meg.  I configured it to run like an ATI Rage 128 32 meg, since X has no native support for the MAXX and all the MAXX is is two of those chips   X would boot up fine when done like this.
- Graphical Login

Any ideas?

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: AlexMax ]

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: AlexMax ]

Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?
Windows XP LOSER! Go fuck yourself!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mandrtake 9.0 problems
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2002, 00:51 »
when you log out, X should be restarted. that's the flickering screen, and the mouse cursor on its own and so on, it shouldn't freeze or crash though, it should just go back to the login manager like you'd get when you first switch on.
however mandrake on my computer has been a little buggy over the different installations. sometimes it will just install weird. Usually for linux a reinstall is not the way to go, so i hear, but mandrake really challenges that notion for me. two things i would recommend to you: make /home into a seperate partition, so you keep your data even after reinstalling your system, and also make your filesystem an ext3 instead of an ext2 filesystem, it recovers easier.
Neither of those things helps with the problem, but it does help with if you do need to do a hard reset or a clean install.

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: Calum & his insidious little spies ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

AlexMax

Mandrtake 9.0 problems
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2002, 02:04 »
1. I did. (make /home a seporate partition)
2. It is. (an ext3)

Should I just nix graphical login on my next install?  And what is the equivilent of autoexec.bat for linux, for a specific user (so I can perhaps put startx into it)
Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?

AlexMax

Mandrtake 9.0 problems
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2002, 00:00 »
This just in.  Without a graphical login, I run startx and it locks up like it did with the logout problem.

I suspect it's my video card.  What's a cheap one that delivers deecent performance and has good compatability with XFree?

Windows XP User?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mandrtake 9.0 problems
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2002, 15:32 »
the gods only know!

i had some similar weirdy problems with my graphics card in red hat 7.0, mandrake 8.0 and turbolinux 6.1, it seems now that my buggy SiS card is now supported by more recent linuces.

Can anybody else provide a link to a list of supported/not supported video cards?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Mandrtake 9.0 problems
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2002, 16:00 »
I found some problems similar to yours at the xfree86 site. Hope this helps...

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Mandrtake 9.0 problems
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2002, 07:23 »
ignore this message
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...