Author Topic: Please help... Help Needed... plEasE!  (Read 1840 times)

XxD

• Kudos: 0
Please help... Help Needed... plEasE!
« on: 3 October 2002, 21:06 »
Im new here, But i followed a link off your homepage... I wanted to try LinUx Out. Mandrake and just about every other linux distro I TRIED TO d/l the mirror was fucked up.. anyways, I got Slackware Linux.. Im have a fuX load of trouble.

I see I can not upload pictures here, but I posted this on another forum as well. Please go here, read my topic and look at the screens. If I can get this running, Or someone could direct me to a good 1st time linux newb distro I can d/l .. I'd definitley consider a donation to your website.

Here is the link with the screenshots of my problem.

Here

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 3 October 2002, 21:18 »
Mandrake Linux, SuSE Linux. Are all pretty painless dirtros.

You could also dump your wintel box and switch to a Mac running OSX Jagwyre. You may be happy there as well      

Edit:

I missunderstood your post, you can get all your linux Distros at

linuxiso.org

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #2 on: 3 October 2002, 21:36 »
Do yourself a favor and don't worry about trying to install Slackware. Download any of the other mentioned distros: Suse, Mandrake, Redhat.

Slackware, Gentoo, Debian, and others are not for a first timer to install.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

XxD

« Reply #3 on: 3 October 2002, 21:44 »
thanks u guys! BUT how big are the files supposed to be.. i have 56k.. and im looking at 600 mB Dling??? jees..

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 3 October 2002, 21:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by XxD:
thanks u guys! BUT how big are the files supposed to be.. i have 56k.. and im looking at 600 mB Dling??? jees..

Hmmm...

Well they are BIG. You can d-load them in a day if your up to it. But I would suggest just buying the Mandrake CD's from the site.

Also, I think VoidMain knows a place that will send your burns of Linux distro's for no more than the cost of the CD and S&P

What was that site Void?

Finaly, alot of linux folks are happy to burn and mail out distros. So maybe someone around here will help you out.

XxD

« Reply #5 on: 3 October 2002, 21:51 »
wow... well, im looking at a 4 day download.... im D/LING Mandrake ISO 9.0.. once I get the ISO, Do i Just burn it on to a CD, and when the cd pops out, THE ISO magically becomes the real cd? or what?

Good thing I have DAP, so i can pause meh D/L =D

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #6 on: 3 October 2002, 21:51 »
Most distros are at least 3 CDs of around 650MB each (weeks to download over 56k). Find a friend or neighbor with Cable or DSL to download them for you. Otherwise buy them on-line.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

XxD

« Reply #7 on: 3 October 2002, 21:52 »
wait tho.. ON Linuxiso.org the mandrake linux... well, do i only need to download CD 1 for 9.0? the rest is Internationalization and "extras"

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 3 October 2002, 21:56 »
quote:
wait tho.. ON Linuxiso.org the mandrake linux... well, do i only need to download CD 1 for 9.0? the rest is Internationalization and "extras"

In my experience, it's worth downloading it all. Those extras include everything from dumb little games to the latest video drivers etc.

Not to mention there are a bunch of usefull progs in it.

You may just wanna buy Mandrake from the site. You get tech support and stuff. It's only 30 bucks or so.

XxD

« Reply #9 on: 3 October 2002, 10:05 »
btw.. I can goto my dad's office... (T1) and maybe get it there... thats still a good hour or 2 heh. Anyways, Thanks you guys! This is now one of my fav websites =D

XxD

« Reply #10 on: 3 October 2002, 10:07 »
Hmm..... Well... I might not be able to get to my dads office for awhile... like 2 weeks... anyways, Im getting mandrake one way or another =D. Does it come with a setup program? Slackware... so hard... its like EDIT THIS AND PUT XXXROOTXX{SD or something...

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
« Reply #11 on: 3 October 2002, 10:10 »
Go HERE and you can buy them at very reasonable prices. They ship same day usually so you will get it quick. $5-$10 for most distros. Go into the LinuxCentral CD-Roms and you will find the cheap ones.  
Later
Centurian

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 3 October 2002, 10:10 »
quote:
Hmm..... Well... I might not be able to get to my dads office for awhile... like 2 weeks... anyways, Im getting mandrake one way or another =D. Does it come with a setup program? Slackware... so hard... its like EDIT THIS AND PUT XXXROOTXX{SD or something...

Ya dude, it's a full on idiot proof GUI.

Not to say that problems wont occur. Linux isn't a cake walk, you will have to do alot of tinkering to get it set up like you like it. But if you stick to it you will be satisfied.

Just hang aorund lunx forums, and buy the O'Rilly Linux books online or at your local bookstore.

XxD

« Reply #13 on: 3 October 2002, 10:12 »
okay, thanks you guys!

Wait.. When i get this .ISO file.. do i just burn the ISO file onto a cd? and it'll turn the ISO file into the real cd when its done burning.. or??

Im not very good at these things > :(  

but -- Im learning =D

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 3 October 2002, 10:26 »
There should be instructions on burning ISO's on the site. Usualy you use an app like Toast etc. And just select burn iso. It should work like that, like magic.