Author Topic: Help with Debian Linux  (Read 400 times)

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
Help with Debian Linux
« on: 19 June 2003, 07:33 »
I'm moving from mandrake linux to debian. This would be my second attempted install. I've found that debian is a really nice distro due to the whole apt-get and wget thing. But installing and configuring isn't as easy. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any websites or other debian based distros that had a little simpler install or if there were any help documents out there for configuring debian.

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: MisteR2 ]

"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

jediknight9999

• Kudos: 0
Help with Debian Linux
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2003, 08:04 »
You can try Libranet Linux or Knoppix. If you try Knoppix, I would go here to read about the hd install.

jediknight9999

Faust

Help with Debian Linux
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2003, 15:02 »
Knoppix hard drive install is still buggy.  Having installed and run both I say Debian is better all around and in the fact that it has less install related bugs.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

JH

Help with Debian Linux
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2003, 12:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by MisteR2:
I wanted to know if anyone knew of any websites or other debian based distros that had a little simpler install or if there were any help documents out there for configuring debian.

There are some useful docs on  Debian site, surprisingly  

And there is quite a good book 'Debian GNU/Linux', O'Reilly. If you need this, I could send you a copy.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
Help with Debian Linux
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2003, 00:26 »
Libranet doesn't look that bad, but it seems like the downloaded version doesn't come with as much stuff. Seeing as I already have the Debian discs made, would it be possible to install libranet and use anything else I may need off of the Debian discs?
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Faust

Help with Debian Linux
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2003, 07:39 »
Probably works fine with apt-get.  Dont bother downloading more than the first CD of either, just do apt-get install when you want something.  Makes it a lot easier, and also means you dont wast bandwidth getting the whole CD series when you only want a few packages off each CD.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html