Author Topic: The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat  (Read 2295 times)

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat
« Reply #30 on: 9 July 2004, 03:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Viper:

Well then your local staples and bestbuy are ripping you guys off.      

Crucial 512MB PC3200 DDR Ram - $81
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-146-541&DEPA=0

Now where in the hell do you find a $3000 XP machine(unless you are buying from rip-offs like alienware). I never see comps go for more than $1000 at the most(alot of the machines you can get are $700 and less). I built this machine for way less than $1000.

P4 2.4C GHZ,800mhz FSB, HT o/ced to 3.2ghz at the moment on stock cooling
Abit IS7 motherboard
2 x 256MB Crucial PC3200 DDR Ram(Configured in Dual Channel DDR mode)
100GB Western Digital IDE Hard drive
80GB Maxtor SATA Hard drive
52x24x52 CD-RW
16x DVD-Rom(getting ready to add a DVD burner to the comp)
ATI Radeon 9800XT video card
SB Audigy 2(fuck that built in audio crap)
built in Ethernet/network controller
3x Firewire ports built into the board(2 6-pin 1 4-pin)
Sony floppy drive(meh, who uses floppies nowadays?)
8x USB 2.0 ports built in
Antec 460w Truepower PSU

It is a fast mother too.      :D  

[ July 08, 2004: Message edited by: Viper ]

Thats an average price for a machine here in canada.  Most people who go out and buy a machine do it the same way thay' buy a car.  The finance it and add warrenties and stuff.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #31 on: 9 July 2004, 03:48 »
Solaris - Viper is confused over currency exchange.

CAN$3000 = US$2250
US$700 = CAN$933
US$81 = CAN$108

So now Solaris is right.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #32 on: 9 July 2004, 03:57 »
Linux isn't bloated. You can choose to install just a bare bones system, and a few apps, and you will ony be using a few hundred MBs. Debian sarge was only like 100mbs, then I installed xfree86, and Xfce4, which put it at what, like 300mb. If you go with Fedora, and install everything, yeah, it will seem bloated, but you also just installed an ass load of applications and services. Do you really need to install 37 text editors, KDE & Gnome, Koffice & OpenOffice, plus all the server apps and tools? Not really.

solarismka

« Reply #33 on: 9 July 2004, 03:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:
[QB]Firstly anyone who says that Linux isn't bloated because they can run it on a 386 off floppys, is  clearly retarded.
 Why?

If a 386 has 28mb of ram you could run a Linux box with a whole UI

quote:

Can Linux run on 286s?
Forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm still new to linux but aren't 286s 16bit processors, and Linux is a 32bit OS?

They can run on 386 and 486 etc.   Linux is a 64bit OS.

quote:

you shouln't have to fuck around with loads of settings and recompile shit, just to tweak the system, install software or device drivers.

?  You don't every driver is built into the kernel unlike windows where you need an install file and even then it might not work!  You don't need to 'tweek' anything.  Everything is setup right from the install!  Including any software you would like.  You do not need to compile anything.  It is as simple as installing an RPM through APT-Get and synaptic.  Its just a couple of clicks thats it. It will put it ion the menu and everything for you!

quote:

I know there's no "default setting" but you can alter what gets loaded. When I mean by default, I mean the configuration the installer chooses for you.

That depends on the distro.  You can choose a 'default' desktop or you can choose what packages you want installed etc... It also partitians for you.

quote:
And you JimmyJames, call me immature for saying Linsux and Winbloze, your no better for being overly critical of my spelling. I can't help suffering from dyslexia, I do my best by spell checking all my posts in openoffice.

Just ignore Jimbo over there.  He's a famous troll that only he is alowed opinions and only he thinks he is right all those with opposing opinions, thoughts and facts are idiots to him.

quote:

256MB RAM isn't too bad, Xpee dosn't run slowly, it's more than usable,

I've used XP at the University with 512mb ram.  I couldn't even get the start button to pop up.  That is with the Themes turned off!

quote:

it only runs slowly when the shit arse Xpee theme together with all the other crap skins and effects are enabled.

So why with 512 mb of ram and the themes turned off it still runs slow.  If it runs at all?

quote:
I only bought this computer a few months ago, I know it wasn't top of the range then, but already people are telling me to upgrade.

NOOOO!

Then don't listen to them.  There is not reason to 'upgrade' if you do not want to!

quote:
I DON'T SEE WHY I SHOULD SPEND ANOTHER FUCKING PENNY!

I agree with you.  You shouldn't!

quote:

This pc is more than fast enough to suit my needs Xpee isn't that slow and unresponsive. It runs Firefox and openoffice fairly well, It can burn CDs well too.

Good for you.  But even with a new PC XP is very unstable, insecure and hard to use!  With the new SP2 I can see why many people upgrade just to keep the M$ OS fed!  I also see no reason WHY XP needs a mionimum 1gig of ram just to do normal work when my machine running Linux can do it in half that!

quote:
I was happy with my P200, the only reason why I upgraded the whole unit because I fucked the old one up!

So am I./  I have a couple of p2's and they run great!

quote:
I originally just wanted to add a CD burner, when the cover was off I spilt my drink.

Ohhh that had to be frustrating.

quote:
If it wasn't for that I would still be stuck with a P200 running Win95 and M$ office!

Or you could have run Linux with KDE and all the latest software.  No upgrades to hardware!

quote:

Back in the day used to be a bit of a computer geek, I liked seeing what I could run on the shitteyest hardware.

So was I then I met Linux!  No more configuring the registry and .dll files!

quote:

I remember, and I know this sound's unbelievable.

Why would it.  I believe alot of what you have said and have no reason not to.

quote:

One rainy day I was bored (correct spelling I hope)

I decided to install Win3.1 on a 4MB RAM drive on a 8MB 486.

It worked too! lol

Hehe. ah 3.1 those were the days!

quote:
I didn't have good internet access. (it cost 1p per min)

Wow that sux!

quote:
I didn't even know that Linux existed.

Neather did I untill I got into the server buisness way back when.

quote:
About 5 years ago I totally lost interest in computers when I did a computing A level, what was a hobby had became hard work, I hated it.

I used to feel the same way when I became an admin.  It sucked to look after a machnine night and day just to keep the viruses and spyware out etc....

quote:

Until very recently I didn't know how much computers had evolved, as I wasn't using them for work.

Neather did I.  I love how far Linux has come!

quote:
The only PC I used was my P200.

A commador 64 was my first one!

quote:

We switched telecommunications provider to get unmetered Internet access, bought this new PC, then I discovered this website along with Linux.

cool, hope you have fun!

quote:

I was happy enough with my old P200.

No doubt you were!

quote:

I'm sure at least some of you people must be able to remember the old 16 bit way, where you had just 640K for your programs to run in, you had to swap your code in and out of extended memory if you wanted more than that.

yep I do!  LOL good times!

quote:

I still haven't regained any interest, bloatware has put me off even more.

No doubt it has for me too.  I find it all too common with M$ software!

quote:
Now we have lot's of memory and what do we do with it?
Waste it on running bloat.
It's just disgusting.

I agree!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

solarismka

« Reply #34 on: 9 July 2004, 03:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:

CAN$3000 = US$2250
US$700 = CAN$933
US$81 = CAN$108

So now Solaris is right.

Ah! oh ok...

insomnia

« Reply #35 on: 9 July 2004, 05:38 »
quote:
Firstly anyone who says that Linux isn't bloated because they can run it on a 386 off floppys, is  clearly retarded. I could say that Windows isn't bloated because you can run it of a floppy disk. (well in DOS mode at least)

So now I am retarted?
Their are more retarted people like me.
These are all floppy distros:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

quote:
When I mean 10% of the total memory I mean the OS should, only consume, or boots up into, or only need 10% of the total system memory to store it's code in. Leaving the rest free, for you, the user to run your software in.

That's insane.
Booting is one of the processes that takes the most memory.
Even Minix took more memory when it was still usefull.

quote:
Can Linux run on 286s?
Forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm still new to linux but aren't 286s 16bit processors, and Linux is a 32bit OS?

It can.
You could compile it on top of Minix(best done with old kernels) or just use an existing distro:
http://elks.sourceforge.net/

quote:
And you JimmyJames, call me immature for saying Linsux and Winbloze, your no better for being overly critical of my spelling. I can't help suffering from dyslexia, I do my best by spell checking all my posts in openoffice.

This "linsux" thing does sound immature.

quote:
256MB RAM isn't too bad, Xpee dosn't run slowly, it's more than usable, it only runs sowly when the shit arse Xpee theme together with all the other crap skins and effects are enabled.

That's more than I have and more than enough for Linux.

Ps. Try Damn Small Linux:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-hd-install.html

[ July 08, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #36 on: 9 July 2004, 08:29 »
quote:
I can't help suffering from dyslexia

My apologies for that, but the "Linsux" thing is still getting very old very quick.

Also, Aloone, don't listen to Solaris. He's a troll and will try to steal your identity and use your account.

No, actually, he's just a dude who doesn't know what a "troll" really is, so he goes around calling everybody a "troll", and constantly hounds me about it. He apparently doesn't know that what he does makes him a real troll.
Go the fuck ~

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #37 on: 9 July 2004, 08:31 »
[quote[But seriously, even my PS2 locks up quite a bit, at least in True Crime.[/quote]

that's because the PS2 sucks shit.

oh no! saying that the PS2 sucks probably makes me a troll!
Go the fuck ~

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #38 on: 9 July 2004, 08:39 »
quote:

eaning that its is there but not like it is dependent on like it is here in Canada.

Solaris is a Canadian?

solarismka

« Reply #39 on: 9 July 2004, 08:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Lover:

Solaris is a Canadian?

yepers.  Ontario :-D

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: 9 July 2004, 08:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:

yepers.  Ontario :-D

I never knew that...

Canadian Lover

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: 9 July 2004, 08:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:

CAN$3000 = US$2250
US$700 = CAN$933
US$81 = CAN$108

So now Solaris is right.

or, of he perfers hi-tech, http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

solarismka

« Reply #42 on: 9 July 2004, 21:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:

My apologies for that, but the "Linsux" thing is still getting very old very quick.

Also, Aloone, don't listen to Solaris. He's a troll and will try to steal your identity and use your account.

No, actually, he's just a dude who doesn't know what a "troll" really is, so he goes around calling everybody a "troll", and constantly hounds me about it. He apparently doesn't know that what he does makes him a real troll.

not anybody just you.

Aloone.  Instead of believing any of us, use the evedence on the site.

http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000586
http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000579

I will not call just anyone a troll.

quote:

A troll can be by definniton a fable charecter. One that hides under bridges and only comes out when someone comes to pass on that bridge.

Another troll can be definned by that of an action. Trolling by the side of a river.

The internet definition of a troll is similar to that of the fable. Usualy one who seeks attention, who is grossly misinformend or causes trouble.

Every community has one and there is even more on the real world highways.

A troll would usualy register to a forum and the go against the main topic of the community. The troll usualy sputs off endless rants to ruffle feathers in the community so he can achive the attention that he is looking for. This is why most trolls are found to be misinformed or lacking with any real information

Take MES for exsample. Most trolls that past through here really don't care what OS they use. They pick on users to get them upset by stating obvious fiction and placing them as facts. This goes with that "I know it all attitude." Most of the times trolls will go to posting completly irrelevent facts or divert attention by pointing out grammer. Most trolls are very dull. Thus the term 'troll' fits. They usualy repeat themselves or go down to name calling.

The above is just a given for an average troll.

Its easy not to be a troll. Just stop being one. Post things relevent topics with relevent answers. Not the same old rhetoric that has been disprooven over and over again.

http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002079&p=3

But were getting off topic and I don't want to keep feeding this one.  

Oh yes, #1 rule! don't feed trolls!

I also forgot.  If you see  bunch of trolls on a news site or something, they are there to make money by spuring hits!  People won't respond to people that don't insuly them.  I found that out through a member on osnews.com one time.  Great way of getting hits thus getting money

[ July 09, 2004: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #43 on: 9 July 2004, 21:25 »
quote:
Firstly anyone who says that Linux isn't bloated because they can run it on a 386 off floppys, is  clearly retarded. I could say that Windows isn't bloated because you can run it of a floppy disk. (well in DOS mode at least)

When I mean 10% of the total memory I mean the OS should, only consume, or boots up into, or only need 10% of the total system memory to store it's code in. Leaving the rest free, for you, the user to run your software in.

Can Linux run on 286s?

http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000887&p=2

I'm not going to say it again as this post is already long enough.

256MB RAM isn't too bad, Xpee dosn't run slowly, it's more than usable, it only runs slowly when the shit arse Xpee theme together with all the other crap skins and effects are enabled.

I only bought this computer a few months ago, I know it wasn't top of the range then, but already people are telling me to upgrade.

NOOOO!

I DON'T SEE WHY I SHOULD SPEND ANOTHER FUCKING PENNY!

This pc is more than fast enough to suit my needs Xpee isn't that slow and unresponsive. It runs Firefox and openoffice fairly well, It can burn CDs well too.

I was happy with my P200, the only reason why I upgraded the whole unit because I fucked the old one up!

I originally just wanted to add a CD burner, when the cover was off I spilt my drink.

If it wasn't for that I would still be stuck with a P200 running Win95 and M$ office!

Back in the day used to be a bit of a computer geek, I liked seeing what I could run on the shitteyest hardware.

I remember, and I know this sound's unbelievable.

One rainy day I was bored (correct spelling I hope)

I decided to install Win3.1 on a 4MB RAM drive on a 8MB 486.

It worked too! lol

I didn't have good internet access. (it cost 1p per min)

I didn't even know that Linux existed.

About 5 years ago I totally lost interest in computers when I did a computing A level, what was a hobby had became hard work, I hated it.

Until very recently I didn't know how much computers had evolved, as I wasn't using them for work.

The only PC I used was my P200.

We switched telecommunications provider to get unmetered Internet access, bought this new PC, then I discovered this website along with Linux.

I was happy enough with my old P200.

I'm sure at least some of you people must be able to remember the old 16 bit way, where you had just 640K for your programs to run in, you had to swap your code in and out of extended memory if you wanted more than that.

I still haven't regained any interest, bloatware has put me off even more.

Now we have lot's of memory and what do we do with it?
Waste it on running bloat.
It's just disgusting.

By the way Viper, just a few questions:

What do you use your computer for?

I know your an MS suporter, I respect you for showing your face here, after all everyone's entitled to their own opinion;

How do you support MS?

And why?

Please don't be afraid to answer these questions.

[ July 08, 2004: Message edited by: Aloone ]

The main reason why I support MS is because they are the reason why our technology is so advanced nowadays. Thier higher OS requirements naturally forced hardware to get faster and eventually cheaper(to bring computers into more households). Make no mistake about it, MS's monoply is the exact reason why 90% of households has a computer nowadays compared to less than 5% of households having one back in the 80's due to high prices.

Another reason why I support MS is for the same reason why Apple supporters support Apple. I like thier products, and I know that it takes 1 company to control a successful OS. Why in the hell do you think Linux has the lack of drivers, games and professional quality apps? IT is because there are so many different distros of it and no sane company is going to spend all of that development time to make thier stuff compatible with all of the fucking distros.

In my opinion I feel that Linux is more of a toy than a real desktop alternative. Linux is great as a server but I'd take Unix over Linux for server purposes.

I have tried Linux many of times and no matter how much I try to like it or find it useful I just simply cannot because it doesn't support all of the stuff I use on my computer and it is a huge hassle to do what should be simply like getting a Radeon card to work properly or installling  a media player(MPlayer).  Linux is not practicle. It probably never will be either simply because there is no centeralized control of it.

MacOS is based on a more complex kernel than Linux but it is practicle and very easy to use because you guessed it, a company maintains it...not a community of geeks+hackers. It is centeralized so software makers+driver makers can easily make an app that will work with any install of it because there aren't 4,000 other versions of the same kernel. On top of the easy software vendor support MacOSX also has an easy to use interface and a damn good+easy to use driver+software installation system. A user will never have to get into a command line to get thier shit to work like in Linux.  

Linux will never have a real place in the home desktop market just because there are too many distros for any real software makers to keep track of. The real software support will always be for closed source, company owned systems like MacOS and Windows because it saves them alot of time and money(time saved is money saved for software companies).

Linux is useful for a hobbyist who really enjoys tinkering with everything or for a server that will need to be configured once and left running down in a basement, closet, etc.

As for being surprised about showing my face here don't be surprised. I've been a member here for a long time and for the most part I get along with these people(with the exception of a few). I'm not a bad guy becuase I like Windows. I am not one of those ignorant Windows fanboys who sit around and says stupid shit like MS rules the world, Linux sucks, switch to Windows, blah blah. I could care less what any of you use because your preference is just that as is mine. Software isn't a religion. FYI - don't ever say something like don't be afraid to answer your questions to me because you can take it as a given that I will answer any question at any time.          

What do I use my computer for? I use it to play games, listen to music, burn music, transfer music and files to my iPod, surf the net, chat, do work(real work that requires profesional grade apps that are not available to Linux), to shop, etc. I use my computer for alot of different things and I demand an OS that just works and has something available for any possibility of what can be done with the system. I demand having fast, high-end hardware because it makes the experience better(especially with games or working with huge audio/video/picture files)as well as encoding.

I refuse to buy those OEM crap boxes like Dell because they use the cheapest hardware they can to cut costs and increase profits..especially  thier crappy motherboards+they give you a crappy PSU which hurts stability big time. I am all for building my own system(s) with all quality parts. I do not skimp on anything(not even a floppy drive which I never use). If you say you had problems with XP on your system it is proably because 1 - it has a shit motherboard and a shit PSU and more than likely a shit intergrated video and sound card+shit ram and
2 - OEMs tend to load the OS to the brim with useless apps that run in the background at all times which hogs Memory and CPU cycles. If you do a restore installlation you will just be back at square 1 with all of the shit software that they felt they needed to have run at the startup of Windows. Do you know how many times Windows XP Professional(Corporate Edition) has crashed on me or locked up on me with this system? 1 time and it wasn't Windows fault. It fucked up because I uninstalled my ATI Catalyst drivers to install the Omega drivers and somehow the Omega driver installation fucked up the video cards' ability to display the desktop at Windows startup. No problem, I booted with F8 and went to the boot with last known good configuration option and boom my probelm was solved. I made the computer freeze once when I tried to take this puppy up to 3.32ghz without upping the voltage. Once again that wasn't Windows fault. It was just me trying to take my CPU to its' absolute limits on the stock Intel air-cooler. I found out that I max out at 3.26ghz but I opt to keep it at 3.2ghz just to be sure it is stable. I got an 800mhz O/C out of this puppy with stock voltage and cooling without any of my buses running out of spec...PCI/AGP is still at 33/66mhz and my Ram is still running at DDR400(200mhz). Not bad at all for a $150 CPU...I know I'm happy with it.    :D  

The only prebuilt OEM computer I would ever buy or consider buying would be an Apple Macintosh because Apple does not skimp on thier parts(hench why Macs are more expensive than OEM PC's) and Apple doesn't overload thier systems with useless apps that continuosly run in the background hogging the ram and CPU cycles. Apple actually makes a great quality computer.

To Solaris - My bad. I didn't notice you were canadian. When I talk about prices I'm always talking about prices in USD. Technically it may cost mroe in Canadian dollars but the canadian dollar value isn't quite as high as the American dollar so in the end the trade is about equal.

[ July 09, 2004: Message edited by: Viper ]

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #44 on: 9 July 2004, 21:53 »
quote:
Make no mistake about it, MS's monoply is the exact reason why 90% of households has a computer nowadays

I don't think that many people should have a computer.  Most are so fucking stupid that they end up causing most of the problems.  The technology industry is full of shitty products because companies like Microsoft focused on "usability" so much that all the inner code sucked, so we had to deal with tons of crap.

Usability lets stupid people use computers - why do so many people think this is good?  Because it leads to money and power, which Microsoft has (and shouldn't).  I'd rather have harder-to-use systems than have stupid people use computers.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez