Author Topic: PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE.....GROUP PROJECT?  (Read 3036 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE.....GROUP PROJECT?
« Reply #60 on: 3 August 2002, 20:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ex Eleven / b0b:

Not that i have (too much) against KDE, but...

Ba hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

GNOME is GTK based which is Open Source, Qt is not.

ha hahahaha

I just fell ass-over-tit from this!

Uh, you are quite some time behind the times. Qt has been "open source" from the beginning and has been under the GPL for over 2 years now (since Qt 2.2):

http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/qt.html

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Sleeping Dog

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #61 on: 3 August 2002, 22:08 »
An Update Note

I should be receiving the OS CD's this week.  I will also post the update of the group's decisions regarding the format and load strategy by or before Sunday night.

Have A Great Weekend.

Sleeping Dog

creedon

« Reply #62 on: 4 August 2002, 03:49 »
Hey Sleeping Dog; Guess what I found!  Go to http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue33/naden.html
I think that you'll find it quite interesting- Vive La open source!!
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

creedon

« Reply #63 on: 4 August 2002, 04:27 »
Also give a peek at http://www.opencascade.com/

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #64 on: 4 August 2002, 04:42 »
I was about to post that same product! I read about it in the "designnews.com" paper catalog! Anyway, read about it in the link creedon sent you. It's a mechanical CAD package. Enter "604" at the designernews.com site, and you can download a trial version at varicad.com.

Sleeping Dog

« Reply #65 on: 6 August 2002, 02:20 »
Just came in for a minute and am headed back out for another Monday meeting.

I will check it out when I get back.

thank you and Cheers to all.

Sleeping Dog

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #66 on: 6 August 2002, 02:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ex Eleven / b0b:

Not that i have (too much) against KDE, but...

Ba hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

GNOME is GTK based which is Open Source, Qt is not.

ha hahahaha

I just fell ass-over-tit from this!

quote:
Subject: Re: KDE/GNOME Holy Wars: Can you help?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: Steve Hutton

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Steve Hutton wrote:
>
> At this point it is certain that neither KDE
> or GNOME is going to go away in the near future.
> The question is whether they will ever co-exist
> in peace.  It is my personal belief that the
> backlash against KDE has been a bit too harsh:

Personally, I like KDE better than gnome right now, on the strength of
pretty user interface and it working better. I personally use neither,
though. I know there has been a lot of silly license flamage, and I don't
particularly like it.

My opinion on licenses is that "he who writes the code gets to chose his
license, and nobody else gets to complain". Anybody complaining about a
copyright license is a whiner.

The anti-KDE people are free to write their own code, but they don't have
the moral right to complain about other people writing other code. I
despise people who do complain, and I won't be sucked into the argument.
But feel free to forward this as you see fit.

-Linus

at least someone else likes KDE better than Gnome like i do

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #67 on: 6 August 2002, 03:23 »
That quote is over four years old but I bet he still feels the same way today as he did four years ago.  I wonder what he was using for a window manager at that time since he said he didn't use either Gnome or KDE at the time.  And I wonder what he uses today?  Not that it really matters.... Gnome is pretty good but I prefer KDE or Windowmaker to Gnome, but that doesn't really matter either..  It's nice to have a choice.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #68 on: 6 August 2002, 03:34 »
it is nice ti have a choice unlike that other operating system... what do they get to argue about?
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Sleeping Dog

« Reply #69 on: 6 August 2002, 06:52 »
Being confined to just one GUI or OS would (for me at least) be like being restricted to only one girlfriend.  So what is there to argue about?  My GUI can beat up your GUI?

Of course, the Microsnot people can always say "My OS ate my homework!" and the teacher will believe them.

Chuckles to all.

Sleeping Dog

PS  If you have not yet expressed an opinion on how we should configure the two hard drives, please do so.  This project needs lots of input from everyone.

To refresh:  hda and hdb are 1 Gig and a 1.2 Gig drives (both 5200 rpm and equal access speeds).

quote:
Just A Note About PhotoShop
PhotoShop caches the images that are open into a disk area that they refer to as "Scratch Disks". Because this is a "Windows" version of the software, it will be "looking for" this space using the DOS type C:\ file structure. High res images can sometimes require as much as 400+ meg of "Scratch Disk" space while they are being edited. Therefore, your formatting and disk structuring strategy will need to take this into account.

And A Note About AutoCAD

AutoCAD's auto-save (backup) function, by default, also looks for a DOS style path (C:\etc.etc)

I double-checked on the sizes of the two apps. The AutoCAD program needs 300 MB of space and PhotoShop needs 100 MB (not including the scratch disk area). A one Gig DOS style partition on the 1.2 Gig HD might be what is needed for the two apps to have all the room that they require.

Sleeping Dog

« Reply #70 on: 7 August 2002, 05:22 »
By the way, Folks.  Thanks for the notes about VariCAD.  Looks like it could be a happening package.  It will be interesting to see if they release modules for direct interface with CNC equipment.  The article is right though about LinuxCAD.......it seems to be mostly smoke and mirrors.

Presently, the translation options like IGES and DXF still have vector and dimensional issues between the different CAD apps.  They "mostly" work, but you still have to go back through and check everything lest your five-axis mill decides to drill all of the way to China.  This is true of the apps that ALL RUN UNDER WINDOWS!

Hopefully the world of engineering apps will "get there" before I am too old or too dead to use, abuse and appreciate it all.

Keep the Fun

Sleeping Dog

creedon

« Reply #71 on: 7 August 2002, 19:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sleeping Dog:
By the way, Folks.  Thanks for the notes about VariCAD.  Looks like it could be a happening package.  It will be interesting to see if they release modules for direct interface with CNC equipment.  The article is right though about LinuxCAD.......it seems to be mostly smoke and mirrors.

Presently, the translation options like IGES and DXF still have vector and dimensional issues between the different CAD apps.  They "mostly" work, but you still have to go back through and check everything lest your five-axis mill decides to drill all of the way to China.  This is true of the apps that ALL RUN UNDER WINDOWS!

Hopefully the world of engineering apps will "get there" before I am too old or too dead to use, abuse and appreciate it all.

Keep the Fun

Sleeping Dog

What, you got somthin' against China?

creedon

« Reply #72 on: 10 August 2002, 19:43 »
OK, here's the skinny;  my buddy made the Debian discs using a Windows program; it managed to corrupt the first (boot/install) disc, I just finished burning a new copy; It boots and installs the kernel into a RAMdisk.  MORAL: DON'T use Windows applications to copy Linux discs- I think that it may be intentional corruption; I'm going to review the other CD's with "apt-find" on a random basis, but the most important one is good, so a basic install can be done with it.  I'm sorry this is taking so long, but there's no point in trying to get this project off the ground with a disc set that will just cause major install problems; Debian's not the easiest install, and I want it to go as easily as it can; I will say this; the end result will be worth the wait.  Now that I've got a reliable power supply in my box, things will go faster (Damn, it's tough being a control freak!!)

Sleeping Dog

« Reply #73 on: 10 August 2002, 20:12 »
More Good News For The Group Project

Yesterday I was given a Tatung 15 inch color monitor (my buddy upgraded his system to two 21 inch NEC's and no longer needed this one).

It can handle up to 1280x1024 and seems to be in pretty good shape despite the nicotine stains on the case.  The 8 MEG video card likes it just fine.  Now the "Proxy Box won't have to share a monitor with my server.

I should be getting the Debian CD's any day now and will keep you folks posted on the load.  Are there any final votes on the formatting and partitioning strategy?  Please let me know.  We are coming down the home stretch.

Have a Great Weekend

Sleeping Dog

Sleeping Dog

« Reply #74 on: 10 August 2002, 20:16 »
P.S.  Our collective thanks to Creedon who is providing the OS CD's.  His efforts, energies and resources are greatly appreciated!

Sleeping Dog