Author Topic: Mac OS X does not belong in here  (Read 639 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Mac OS X does not belong in here
« on: 5 December 2003, 02:40 »
it doesn't. nobody seems to understand that it's not UNIX at all.

Come on guys, learn things
Go the fuck ~

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #1 on: 5 December 2003, 04:11 »
I think if someone has a question more related to unix like stuff and not things that are so mac specific, that this would be an appropriate place to ask. I never visit the mac section, but I visit this one. If someone has a general unix question I can probably help them (if i'm not being lazy), and I dont think I'm the only linux user that doesn't visit the mac section. If a mac user has a question about bash, this would be an good place to ask it.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 5 December 2003, 21:15 »
How is OSX not Unix?

That's like saying GNU with a Linux kernel isn't Linux

Sorry Jimmy as much as you hate Linux it dosen't make OSX any less

it's like your in denial about being gay or something...........

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 5 December 2003, 21:43 »
quote:
it's like your in denial about being gay or something...........

HAHAHH! Priceless  :D !
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 5 December 2003, 23:20 »
actually it's more like saying a HURD system with GNU and other open source software is not linux, which technically it isn't, but you wouldn't know that depending on how it was set up and what you were doing.

basically, this forum has always been about any *ix type system, and macOSX is obviously included in that, as much as Darwin, 386BSD et cetera are. however since there's a MacOS section, and most OSX users are former MacOS* users anyway, most stuff goes in there anyway, so why worry?

[iif[/i] somebody has an OSX question that they feel is general *ix rather than mac  specific then why not have it in here? like running X in OSX for example (although  i suppose that could be applications section stuff) but after a point, splitting hairs is a waste of effort.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 6 December 2003, 06:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by evil fucking bastard jimmy james:

MacOSX = BSD = UNIX  
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #6 on: 7 December 2003, 01:58 »
Ya, on second thought, it doesn't matter

but...

Mac OS X /= BSD

Mac OS X uses BSD code for it UNIX layer.

Remember, for OS X, BSD is an installable layer that runs atop MACH.

This is what seems to be lost on most people... Darwin is as much "UNIX" as Linux is. That is... it ISN'T. Darwin is built on MACH, just like OS X, and NeXTStep/OpenStep before it.

Just to let you know... show me a BSD UNIX system that has...

/System
     /Library
/Library
/System/Library/Classic

Show me BSD using .kext system extensions for hardware driver support. Show me BSD using .app bundles for applications.

Download this...

http://ecsyle.com/jimmy/media/notunix.zip

and check out two packages. Internet Connect.app is one package. I see it and manipulate it as one icon. in the Finder, there's an icon labeled "Internet Connect" and that's it. everything beyond that is irrelevant.

As for the other file in there, it's the .kext bundle that allows GeForce support in Quartz and Quartz Extreme.

bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Go the fuck ~

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #7 on: 7 December 2003, 02:22 »
quote:
Darwin is as much "UNIX" as Linux is. That is... it ISN'T.

Well of course, they're both kernels, whereas UNIX is an entire operating system. OSX, as well as GNU/Linux, is a Unix-like/Unix-based system. It uses a Unix API, Unix userland, it's POSIX compatible, and Apple themselves say it's Unix-based. Arguing over whether it literally "is" UNIX or not is pointless, since that doesn't really mean anything, unless you're talking about whether it's officially certified Unix or not.

Get over it.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #8 on: 7 December 2003, 04:29 »
quote:

Come on guys, learn things

It is BeOS that isn't based on UNIX, not Mac OS X.

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #9 on: 7 December 2003, 05:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:

It is BeOS that isn't based on UNIX, not Mac OS X.

WRONG.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 7 December 2003, 06:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by insomnia:

WRONG.

Obviously you're quoting the wrong person, because BeOS ISN'T based on UNIX. It is equally or more powerful than UNIX and POSIX compliant, but is neither based on System V or BSD, nor is it a clone of any of them.

http://www.beosbible.com/exc_terminal.html

quote:
The Terminal is not Unix. Unix is an operating system, and BeOS is an operating system, but BeOS is not a Unix-based operating system. BeOS is, however, POSIX-compliant, just like Unix.

suselinux

« Reply #11 on: 7 December 2003, 08:26 »
quote:
While it's a new design, it does owe much to UNIX/Mach in some of the design decisions we made. If you're interested in some of the deeper details, check out the XINU (that's "Unix" spelled backwards, which cries out for a joke here...) book listed in The Be Bookstore:

http://www.be.com/purchase/bookstore.html

The designers of the BeOS were deeply inspired by the design of the XINU operating system.

web page

Inspired by Xinu eh.  GNU was "inspired" by Unix as well, but we are all more than happy to call that OS Unix Based.....

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #12 on: 7 December 2003, 21:34 »
but it's not. Linux is Linux-based, since Linux is the kernel. Unix clone... that's the term.

only one problem... like I said, I think OS X has quite a few uniquely individual things.

quote:
 It uses a Unix API,

No. It doesn't. Mac OS X apps will not run on any other OS. They cannot provide the needed support. Mac OS X native apps use the Cocoa API, built from the classic NeXTStep/YellowBox API.

These APIs are built on Objective-C and are not compatible with the classic UNIX API. Mac OS X apps are not POSIX apps in the least. They take advantage of high-level structures provided by the OS.

but it's okay, I know your horrible secret that you've been hiding from us, suselinux. I'm going to EXPOSE YOU FOR THE CHARLATAN YOU ARE!!

YOU ARE POWERLESS TO STOP HIM, FOR HE IS NIGH INVULNERABLE!! WHEN HE IS THROUGH WITH YOU, THERE WILL BE NARY A SOLDIER STANDING!

Just admit it! Captain Evil attacks nearly all of us nightly. He's a busy man for an evil mastermind super villain. Shit, dude... HE'S ATTACKING ME RIGHT NOW!

[ December 07, 2003: Message edited by: evil fucking bastard jimmy james ]

Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 7 December 2003, 21:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:

web page

Inspired by Xinu eh.  GNU was "inspired" by Unix as well, but we are all more than happy to call that OS Unix Based.....

Yeah, and Microsoft was 'inspired' by VMS when they developped Windows NT, so Windows must be a VMS operating system.

suselinux

« Reply #14 on: 7 December 2003, 10:14 »
quote:
but it's not. Linux is Linux-based, since Linux is the kernel. Unix clone... that's the term.

only one problem... like I said, I think OS X has quite a few uniquely individual things.

No. It doesn't. Mac OS X apps will not run on any other OS. They cannot provide the needed support. Mac OS X native apps use the Cocoa API, built from the classic NeXTStep/YellowBox API.

These APIs are built on Objective-C and are not compatible with the classic UNIX API. Mac OS X apps are not POSIX apps in the least. They take advantage of high-level structures provided by the OS.

but it's okay, I know your horrible secret that you've been hiding from us, suselinux. I'm going to EXPOSE YOU FOR THE CHARLATAN YOU ARE!!

YOU ARE POWERLESS TO STOP HIM, FOR HE IS NIGH INVULNERABLE!! WHEN HE IS THROUGH WITH YOU, THERE WILL BE NARY A SOLDIER STANDING!

Just admit it! Captain Evil attacks nearly all of us nightly. He's a busy man for an evil mastermind super villain. Shit, dude... HE'S ATTACKING ME RIGHT NOW!

[ December 07, 2003: Message edited by: evil fucking bastard jimmy james ]

I'm starting to like this guy