Author Topic: Knoppix tweaking  (Read 488 times)

creedon

• Kudos: 0
Knoppix tweaking
« on: 9 November 2002, 19:11 »
This is being posted from my Knoppix 3.1 hard drive install.  I've been doing some tweaking, and creative editing this morning.  I've edited /etc/fstab so I can mount my other partitions to access my "default" Linux install (Debian stable).  Now I can import all my bookmarks, and some of the other goodies I've got on that partitions;  I LIKE this, it makes things a lot easier, and I don't feel quite so isolated in this OS now.  I'm going to edit my /etc/apt/sources.list now, so I can upgrade from Debian unstable; I may be using Knoppix a lot more now.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Knoppix tweaking
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2002, 07:21 »

[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Knoppix tweaking
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2002, 10:00 »
What would you recommend?

Full Debian install or Knoppix to hard drive install?
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

creedon

• Kudos: 0
Knoppix tweaking
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2002, 18:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Black & White Cat:
What would you recommend?

Full Debian install or Knoppix to hard drive install?

Knoppix is a faster install, but there's a ton of tweaking afterward; the etc/apt/sources.list file is all kinds of screwed up if you're in the US (all the sources are German,and there's a lot of unstable stuff there).  You also have to edit /etc/fstab if you wnt access to other OS's on your box.  I've heard that some installs end up with a default German language; it's easy to fix, but its a pain.  Over all, I'd stick with Debian; you can just upgrade to a different level ('testing' for instance) and you can control the app that you have on your box; Knoppix is a fast install, but there's a lot of stuff with it you may not need or want on your system.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??