Author Topic: Help me Fdisk my computer so i can use windows again!  (Read 442 times)

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
My windows partition on my laptop has a virus and also on the laptop is my fresh installation of suse.    I need to know how to wipe both paritions off the HDD so i can start again.

Fdisk was my first port of call but it cannot see the non dos partitions and it won't delete the no logical drives before the extended drives even though they are no logical drives!

Any suggestions?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Help me Fdisk my computer so i can use windows again!
« Reply #1 on: 1 November 2002, 16:28 »
does SuSE come with a graphical partitioning tool as part of the installer? if i were you i would do an install, and wipe everything at the 'partitions' stage. That's how i would do it with Mandrake, but i know that that program is a mandrake-linux program, so you won't have got it with SuSE, however you might have something similar.
If i were you, i would get a distro of linux that boots off a floppy (Trinux or some of the others that were suggested recently) and also put fdisk for linux on a floppy too, then boot into linux from the floppy, and you can run linux fdisk, which should be able to see all the partition types that linux supports.

I haven't done this though, so this advice is provided as is with no warranty and no guarantee that it will be suitable for any purpose et c...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

« Reply #2 on: 1 November 2002, 16:35 »
Do you have a link for such linux distros that boot from floppies.

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

« Reply #3 on: 1 November 2002, 18:39 »
Thanks Calum, i did as you said and Suse wiped the HDD clean, i've gone that route rather than look for linux floppies which could complicate things.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 1 November 2002, 23:15 »
glad you got it sorted, but for an alternative, you could have got this OS:

http://trinux.sourceforge.net/

which boots off floppies or a CD, and then you could have had linux fdisk on a floppy as well, and you could then use it to run an OS, and fdisk without any running of the hard drive at all. Anybody know if that's right? as i have never tried it.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

« Reply #5 on: 2 November 2002, 11:44 »
I'll download it anyway for educational purposes