Author Topic: OK *nix heads, what should I do?  (Read 1886 times)

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
OK *nix heads, what should I do?
« Reply #60 on: 23 October 2003, 14:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7: Has half Macman's posts:

I don't know exactly why you consider Linux better than BeOS, assuming you have even used the latter. It has the same command line interface as Linux (although not fullscreen), and the configuration files work the same. Many of the major free/open source apps are available for BeOS. I haven't had any more crashes with BeOS than Linux, and as I said, if you really want to you can install X11 and Enlightenment, or any WM available for BeOS.

[ October 21, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7: Has half Macman's posts ]

Well let me start by asking are there nvidia BeOS drivers available? If so are there ports of popular linux games such as rtcw and quake 3? Is there DVD playing software available? What about DVD burning? Does BeOS support USB 2.0? How frequently are open source applications written for BeOS? Is anyone going to write a 64 bit version of BeOS for the new 64 bit processors from AMD? Truthfully will it be easier or harder for me to find help if I have a problem with BeOS as compared to linux? Can I install bash on BeOS? How many different companies use BeOS in their operations? Is BeOS available for any platform other than x86?

Also when is the last time a new version of BeOS became available? Are new versions with new features released often? Can I use the source code from programs for linux and compile them to work under BeOS, kind of like the binary compatibility FreeBSD offers?

You stated that the gui was superior to X11 in every way. How so? I mean what features does it offer that X11 does not offer? Since i have never experienced a crash with X11 I wont accept that it is more stable. Since X11 is very fast for me, I wont accept that it is faster.

I dont intend to insult with these questions, just help me get a better picture why linux is so inferior.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net