Author Topic: Can this finally be the competition Windows has been waiting for?  (Read 399 times)

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
i dont know about waiting for!
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
......cool....
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
I guess Solaris is only going to be a server OS now

This is pretty cool.  is Mad Hatter the code name or the retail name?? didn't catch that

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
isn't mad hatter aimed at the windows 98 crowd, just like staroffice is aimed at the menial data inputters, Sun seem to have this attitude that their software is not as special as microsoft's but that the majority of users are rank and file so they won't mind using Sun stuff anyway (especially as it's so much lower in price than MS' stuff).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
that's always been the problem. they never target the right people, and still nobody is making the strides needed to make Linux BETTER than Windows on the desktop.

Why doesn't someone take a little bit of a clue from NeXT/Mac OS X and implement packages?

Hey! I got a new program!
Great! Did you make sure to put the libs in the right folders and...
Fuck that!! I just dragged a SINGLE ICON into the folder I want.

Oh, yeah, and a real graphics framework, not sad old X11. Something that supports scalable fonts, anti-aliasing, PDF or Ghostscript-based rendering, and OpenGL desktop acceleration? Sound like Quartz? Good, because that's what they need to make. Something that's more long those lines. It should be X11 compatible so older wares will run, but for  the love of God... LET X11 DIE.
Go the fuck ~