Author Topic: FreeBSD and a USB disk  (Read 322 times)

Nobber

• Kudos: 55
FreeBSD and a USB disk
« on: 27 August 2003, 19:13 »
Simple question: how can I use my USB disk in FreeBSD?

I'm running FreeBSD 5.1, and the USB disk is a standard 256MB pen-type device. I'm used to stuff happening automatically under Linux when I plug the USB drive in - i.e. appropriate kernal module loading, disk being attached to /dev/sda, etc. But when I plug the drive in under FreeBSD, nothing happens. (And then continues to happen.) Even the little light on the disk refuses to flash on and off, as if to prove its deadness.

I'm not afraid to recompile the kernel or generally have a bit of a fiddle around, so hit me with the gory details!
As sure as eggs is eggs.

erosnemesis

• Kudos: 0
FreeBSD and a USB disk
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2003, 05:16 »
just go to RED HAT LINUX 9.0 and you will feel all good inside. yup all good inside.
"If money isnt made from trees, then why do banks have branches"

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
FreeBSD and a USB disk
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2003, 05:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by erosnemesis:
just go to RED HAT LINUX 9.0 and you will feel all good inside. yup all good inside.

that's not helpfull, nothing's wrong with freebsd.

i'm not very experienced in it though, so i dont know how to help you. when i get a bigger hard drive i'll play around with it.

Nobber

• Kudos: 55
FreeBSD and a USB disk
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2003, 17:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by erosnemesis:

So if I go to RED HAT LINUX 9.0, will it help me get my USB disk working under FreeBSD 5.1? Eh? Will it?
As sure as eggs is eggs.