Author Topic: SuSE Linux (Network Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  (Read 759 times)

mskarl

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
SuSE Linux (Network Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
« on: 8 March 2002, 20:12 »
Ok I installed SuSE and already I'm learning a ton and enjoying it a bunch.  I have a problem with getting on the internet.  At my apartment there is a T1 line with about 3 guys that use it.  We don't have static IP's and there seams to be something to not let us use a nic card that the company hasn't set something up for it.  So in other words you call them with your MAC address and then when they do something with it you can access the internet.  Other words you can't do crap.  
  So on my PC I had Win2k installed and was using a Netgear EA101 USB Ethernet Adapter.  With using the USB I could just plug it into my work laptop when I was home and use it for the net.  
  With some research on www.suse.com I found that Linux doesn't have support for the Netgear EA101 USB.  But when I ran ifconfig -a it showed up as eth0.  I looked at the MAC address and determined that it was the same as the one that Win2000 show it as.  Does this mean I can use this USB adapter?  
  I also need help on how to setup the IP stuff.  Like in M$ win98 there isn't anything selected.  Like IP address is obtained, DNS is disabled no gateway and use DHCP for WINS resolution.  
  Since I have about 6 hrs of expierence with Linux please explain in detail.  I really appreciate all HELP!!!  If you need to send me pictures or someting please send them to [email protected]  

THANKS for helping me away from M$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big brother Microsoft sucks!!! (And my spelling is horrible)

lost

• http://www.23.org/
« Reply #1 on: 9 March 2002, 05:08 »
Ok check it out mofo, you do an ifconfig and you find eth0, now a network device has to be present in order for this to show up.  So if you only have the USB thingy then it should be working fine.  To find out just run 'dmesg | less' and see sort through that madness to find what device is being loaded as eth0.  Otherwise what you will want to do next is configure the device.

For dhcp you can goto a shell as root and run the command 'dhcpcd'.  Your card willl broadcast until it gets a response back.  It times out after a couple minutes if there is no response or no dhcp server.

For manual configuration you should check out more information on ifconfig.  ifconfig lets you do some pretty wacky stuff but for just setting an ip to a card here is the syntax:

ifconfig [device] [ip] netmask [netmask] broadcast [broadcast]

say your on a 10.10.10.0 network with on class C (netmask 255.255.255.0), your ifconfig would look like:

ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.10.10.255

You dont always have to know the broadcast, usually it is automatically computed, but i always enter it just in case.

Now that the card has an ip (verify using 'ifconfig eth0') you need to setup the gateway.  All you need to know now is your gateways ip.  The command willl be:

route add default gw 10.10.10.1

Im sure SuSE has some auto configure shit, but you want to a fucking tough guy and set it up manually.  If you need more help just keep posting.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

[email protected]

mskarl

« Reply #2 on: 9 March 2002, 07:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by lost:
Ok check it out mofo, you do an ifconfig and you find eth0, now a network device has to be present in order for this to show up.  So if you only have the USB thingy then it should be working fine.  To find out just run 'dmesg | less' and see sort through that madness to find what device is being loaded as eth0.  Otherwise what you will want to do next is configure the device.

For dhcp you can goto a shell as root and run the command 'dhcpcd'.  Your card willl broadcast until it gets a response back.  It times out after a couple minutes if there is no response or no dhcp server.

For manual configuration you should check out more information on ifconfig.  ifconfig lets you do some pretty wacky stuff but for just setting an ip to a card here is the syntax:

ifconfig [device] [ip] netmask [netmask] broadcast [broadcast]

say your on a 10.10.10.0 network with on class C (netmask 255.255.255.0), your ifconfig would look like:

ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.10.10.255

You dont always have to know the broadcast, usually it is automatically computed, but i always enter it just in case.

Now that the card has an ip (verify using 'ifconfig eth0') you need to setup the gateway.  All you need to know now is your gateways ip.  The command willl be:

route add default gw 10.10.10.1

Im sure SuSE has some auto configure shit, but you want to a fucking tough guy and set it up manually.  If you need more help just keep posting.

OK I Can't f-ing believe it.  I couldn't get that USB Net adapter working.  So I bought a NIC Card and installed it.  Called the Service provider with the new MAC ID.  Then I downloaded the driver for linux.  I had to compile the driver and move it to some directories.  I wasn't able to do everything that the readme file asked me to do.  But when I got frustrated I decided to reboot and all the sudden IT WORKS!!!! I'm so fucking happy that I can get on the net through Linux now and no longer have to boot with M$ crap.  So I'm using Konqueror.  although I still have some questions.  How Can I give my user ROOT access without having to enter a ROOT password every time I want to do something??????????????????????????????????????????

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #3 on: 9 March 2002, 07:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Anti M$:

although I still have some questions.  How Can I give my user ROOT access without having to enter a ROOT password every time I want to do something??????????????????????????????????????????

This is something that should only be left to an MSCE.              Although you *can* do this I will not even tell you how because you should *not* do it.  I don't even do it and I've been administering *NIX for over 10 years.  If you would like me to expand I can.

You might as well just log in as "root" if you want your ID to have root authority but that is just as bad as setting your ID to the equivelant of root.  Just don't do it.  If you must give a normal user account the ability to run certain commands as root then look into the "sudo" command.  But I can almost garantee that you do not need to do this.  Having to supply a root password to do root level tasks is a *good* thing.  It is precisely the reason *NIX isn't the virus trap that MS is and is the reason it is much more stable.

And just what is so difficult about using the "su" command when you need to?

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

mskarl

« Reply #4 on: 9 March 2002, 12:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:

This is something that should only be left to an MSCE.                 Although you *can* do this I will not even tell you how because you should *not* do it.  I don't even do it and I've been administering *NIX for over 10 years.  If you would like me to expand I can.

You might as well just log in as "root" if you want your ID to have root authority but that is just as bad as setting your ID to the equivelant of root.  Just don't do it.  If you must give a normal user account the ability to run certain commands as root then look into the "sudo" command.  But I can almost garantee that you do not need to do this.  Having to supply a root password to do root level tasks is a *good* thing.  It is precisely the reason *NIX isn't the virus trap that MS is and is the reason it is much more stable.

And just what is so difficult about using the "su" command when you need to?

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

VoidMan the reason why I wanted to have that function is I wanted to copy stuff to my root dir using Konq.  I'm learning that I might not need to do that.  Hey what is you browser of choice?  Right now I'm using Mozilla.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #5 on: 9 March 2002, 13:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Anti M$:

VoidMan the reason why I wanted to have that function is I wanted to copy stuff to my root dir using Konq.  I'm learning that I might not need to do that.  Hey what is you browser of choice?  Right now I'm using Mozilla.

I like konqueror, mozilla is also good, but I use neither for file management.  I always prefer command line for OS stuff but I've been doing it for a long time and it usually is faster and easier the command line way if you know yer stuff. konqueror is a great browser though.  You can still use konqueror as root even though logged on as a normal user if you know the root password.  Most distros have a menu item to run konqueror file browser as root.  In RedHat for instance on the KDE (start) menu under "system" there is an entry called "File Manager (super user mode)". The command that is run under that menu item is "kdesu konqueror". When you click on that ICON it asks you for root's password. And you can always "su" and then type "konqueror" on the command line.  Do not make your ID equivelant to root.  It will definately bite you in the ass some day and you'll blame it wrongly on Linux.

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...