Author Topic: Gates grant...  (Read 815 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Gates grant...
« on: 25 August 2002, 19:23 »
My high school was one of 11 (i believe 11) to "qualify" for a $2 mil. gates grant. With of course their condition that we completly remodel our school (Mariner High School, Mukilteo Washington, USA). What's he trying to pull this time? (And I mention that 2 months before we "qualified" my school recently bought 4000 dells preinstalled with windows 2000 pro, and office 2000 pro? Not to mention they have 12 servers which cost $4000 for the software part, windows 2000 advanced server.)

So after my school gives microsoft about $800,000, we qualify for a grant from them. And after the remodeling, our school is basicly back down to broke.

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Stryker ]

creedon

• Kudos: 0
Gates grant...
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2002, 20:41 »
See, you just don't understand Reagan-era economics.  It works like this; suppose you have a pie, and you cut it in half; the first half is for domestic programs to keep the country running; the second half is for defense spending, to keep the country safe; then you take the third half for...... what do you mean there aren't three halves; see, I told you you don't understand..
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

theangelofdeath69

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.kaltemartech.com/
Gates grant...
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2002, 08:02 »
Huh.  My Schools quite happy with around 200 Windows 2000 Pro machines, 4 Windows 2000 Server machines, site license Visual Studio 6, site license Office 2000 Pro, site license Frontpage 2000, and the Internet security and acceleration -
and I forgot Encarta
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Gates grant...
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2002, 15:05 »
But that wasn't my point, my point was that we qualified for this grant. 1 out of hundreds of schools in this state. About 4 months after we bought all this crap from them. Normally I wouldn't mind, it's money... But they are making us remodel our school and completly redesigning our classing system. We are now going into "acadamies". Where we each get about 2, maybe 3 teachers through the intire 4 years of high school. So if one of our 2/3 teachers doesn't teach an elective we want, we can't get it. And all of the classes are divided into 4 groups. Each of these groups rarely sees the other one. Not during lunch. Maybe, just maybe, between classes. (I thinkt hey are spreading them out out from each group though) And i'm almost positive we each have our own bleacher section during assemblies. I talked to the counsler about the ease of switiching groups. She told me that switching will now be a bigger bitch than it ever was.

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
Gates grant...
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2002, 21:46 »
LOL CREEDON!

LOL ENCARTA!

LOL YOUR SCHOOL!

LOL MICROSOFT!

i have heard of some high schools doing some moronic things, but THAT is all fucked up... what if you get the bad teachers?  eh?  then you are fucked out of a good edumakation lik i wuz...  i think someone needs to slap around your school board with thier balls~~~~~

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: sporkme / bob ]

just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.