Author Topic: Services - What does signal 15 stand for? - Updated  (Read 400 times)

Ice-9

• Kudos: 0
    • http://users.pandora.be/Ice9
Services - What does signal 15 stand for? - Updated
« on: 21 December 2002, 16:53 »
A few days ago I started noticing that when I shut down my machine it says "eth0   dhcpcd[518]: terminating on signal 15"
Around the same time I noticed in my security logs
"sshd[816]: server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22"

Do I have to be worried, what doe these messages mean?
I searched the net without succes for an explanation and appart from that I notice nothing unusual.

Please help.

Edit: Since I don't need to remotely connect to my box I shut down the sshd service, now shutting down eth0 gives me a clean "OK" when I reboot or shut down the machine.
Am I mising something and should I leave sshd running?
My box has two NIC's, one connected to the net and the other to my lan.

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Ice9 ]

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Ice9 ]

He was sitting on a rock. He was barefoot. His feet were frosty with ice-nine .....

DC

« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2002, 22:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ice9:
A few days ago I started noticing that when I shut down my machine it says "eth0   dhcpcd[518]: terminating on signal 15"
Around the same time I noticed in my security logs
"sshd[816]: server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22"

Do I have to be worried, what doe these messages mean?
I searched the net without succes for an explanation and appart from that I notice nothing unusual.

Please help.

Edit: Since I don't need to remotely connect to my box I shut down the sshd service, now shutting down eth0 gives me a clean "OK" when I reboot or shut down the machine.
Am I mising something and should I leave sshd running?
My box has two NIC's, one connected to the net and the other to my lan.

Well, sig 15 is sigterm. Sigterm is send to all processes on shutdown, followed (hopefully) by the correct shutdown of the process (otherwise a sigkill is send to shut it down less gracefully). So that is not only not bad, but actually good.

Sshd listening isn't too bad at all, unless you don't want sshd running, in which case it isn't the best thing to do (security risk - letting random people take a shot at guessing a correct login name/pass is not the idea).

What do you mean by "I don't need to remotely connect to my box"? As in "not from the internet" or "not at all"? If not at all, shut sshd down forgood, it'll just keep a security risk open and eat system resources. If the second, you can config it to listen to the LAN only (probably, no real experience with sshd, but any decent server can do that). Which is the internet, eth0 or eth1?
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Ice-9

• http://users.pandora.be/Ice9
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2002, 21:35 »
quote:
What do you mean by "I don't need to remotely connect to my box"? As in "not from the internet" or "not at all"? If not at all, shut sshd down forgood, it'll just keep a security risk open and eat system resources. If the second, you can config it to listen to the LAN only (probably, no real experience with sshd, but any decent server can do that). Which is the internet, eth0 or eth1?

Well, I use this box to ftp files to my other machines and to control the movie-pc via VNC.
There's no need for any connection - either from the outside or from the lan - to my main pc.

eth0 is internet so I guess I wouldn't be able to post this if there had been a problem with me shutting down sshd.  ;)
He was sitting on a rock. He was barefoot. His feet were frosty with ice-nine .....