Author Topic: What *can't* you do in Linux?  (Read 1219 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
What *can't* you do in Linux?
« Reply #30 on: 4 June 2003, 18:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by emh:
Yet you said in the aforementioned thread that the stuff you wanted to install installed just fine.  What happened?

through some miracle I went to the auto update thing in RH and it fixed it.  I don't know how.  But I still was not able to do what I wanted to do.  RH is no longer on my PC.  So I can't elaborate (its been a while).

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #31 on: 4 June 2003, 18:11 »
I think think the tight-fisted IT budgets at the moment can only help OOo, although stupid businesses will probably just get warez MS Office  :(
Contains scenes of mild peril.

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #32 on: 4 June 2003, 20:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by M505:
Well, I don't know about you but I certainly don't care if my boss has to pay for the Office products or not.

No, that's right, you don't know about me. I am an IT decision maker and I do care how much I need to spend on applications. So for me, I need to really consider these things. Most of the desktop PC (about 35) are running Win 98 with Office'97 with a few XP boxes starting to creep in. I want to stop that in  it's tracks. Our needs, like our users, are simple so OO would probably be a good fit. Hey, it's probably not for everybody but on cost alone, it's very appealing.
I look forward to the day when I can announce the organisation is a Microsoft free zone.
The compatibilty with Office documents can easily be worked around - print a hard copy and mail/fax the bloody thing. There is a dangerous premise starting to permuate throughout corporate culture that in order to do business, it has to be through computers. Too often I see IT being a hinderence to conducting business. Just my opinion, I could be wrong !
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

spencerpi

« Reply #33 on: 4 June 2003, 20:44 »
Well, computers and the internet have evolved very far, so far that e-mail has become a powerful medium to do data exchange.

Reverting to paper/fax is going back years, I think. Seems like a harsh thing to do just to cope with the different between MS and OO.

But hey : if it makes you happy, do it.

That said, this is getting a bit off topic.

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #34 on: 4 June 2003, 21:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by M505:
Well, computers and the internet have evolved very far, so far that e-mail has become a powerful medium to do data exchange.

Reverting to paper/fax is going back years, I think. Seems like a harsh thing to do just to cope with the different between MS and OO.

But hey : if it makes you happy, do it.

That said, this is getting a bit off topic.

Aye, you're right, a bit off topic and no, it doesn't make me happy either. If M$ can't make their documents compatable with "standards" then they (in my opinion) have a flawed product. It's M$'s constant hijacking of "standards" that screw everything up.

Still off topic, I remember when I got into IT the hype was "The Paperless Office". What happened to that ?
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #35 on: 4 June 2003, 23:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
What is CMYK?    :confused:  

The four colors of ink used in printing.  Three are the primary colors of pigment.

Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK.

This is opposed to the primary colors of light which are RGB (Red, Green, and Blue).

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #36 on: 5 June 2003, 06:44 »
Well the compatibility problem with MS and OO should not be a problem. At all.

Any good-knowing IT manager who installs workstations with OO and Linux should be prepared for the situation where an employee asks, "I couldn't open the document Joe sent me. He uses MS Office XP" with the answer "Tell him to click on the drop down menu next to Type and choose Rich Text Format from the list, then send it."

OO *does* support RTF doesn't it?
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #37 on: 6 June 2003, 00:06 »
Tell a webmaster that you use Windows XP and IIS as a webserver. He will laugh at you. Tell a large web hosting service to switch from linux to Mac OS X, and he will laugh in your face. Windows and Mac OS X  are completely impractical for large scale server applications because their cost is way too high. Im not saying that people dont use these two types of systems for this reason, but Im absolutely sure the cost was much higher. Also when was the last time you heard of a Hollywood studio using hundreds of windows or Mac computers in huge render farms to create movies? My point is that there are things linux cant do, but there are also things macs and windows pc's cant do. Im absolutely sick of the comparisons. Use what you need.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

sway

« Reply #38 on: 6 June 2003, 01:24 »
i don't know what to say.

jeffberg pretty much covered it all for me.

jeffberg = genius

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #39 on: 6 June 2003, 03:18 »
This should also apply for all the linux fanatics who want to dethrone Mac OS as a desktop OS (although I perfectly understand why they would want to replace Windoze).