Author Topic: Dept of Homeland Security: DONT USE MSIE  (Read 762 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Dept of Homeland Security: DONT USE MSIE
« on: 2 July 2004, 22:07 »
Slashdot Article.  

DHS says don't use MSIE.  Maybe this will stimulate web designers to do their freaking jobs and write standards compliant web pages.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 2 July 2004, 22:14 »
That's the most sensible thing I've heard comming from Homeland Security.

I recommend IE user to switch to Firefox ($ 0, easy to use, open source) or Opera ($ 30 (Google ads when you don't buy it, so it's no big deal when you don't  ;) ), more features, skins and support).

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 2 July 2004, 23:27 »
I still recommend the full Mozilla.  Firefox doesn't feel as extensive.  I plan on switching my dad over to one of the two soon.  :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 3 July 2004, 03:33 »
quote:
WMD: I still recommend the full Mozilla.  Firefox doesn't feel as extensive.  I plan on switching my dad over to one of the two soon.   :D  

I like the Mozilla suite too, but admit it, it's too geeky. Your John Doe doesn't care about helluvalot of options, he just wants something that really easy to use and is feature rich at the same time.
Firefox does this perfectly. In fact, it has a clear and usable interface which makes it even more easy to use than Internet Explorer.

Also, people that like feature rich shareware applications can go for Opera. I happen to know some people who'll only use commercial software that Opera is perfect for  

Oh, and about the Mozilla suite... well, the Gecko engine works and feels great, and it's got just the features and options that are the ones that I want in a browser.

[ July 02, 2004: Message edited by: Refalm ]

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: 7 July 2004, 06:36 »
ive tried firefox and it looks crummy, sure it has the best pop-up percentage, and has a cool logo, but oprea is more usefull. more features, options, looks cool, intergrated email... and has a bar thing that tells you webpage progress. seperate tabs for downloads too. word up.

Werre

« Reply #5 on: 7 July 2004, 13:27 »
I like firefoxes bare usable necessary bones-approach, with extras as extensions, better than full-mozilla's all-in-one-gigantic-blob-ideology.

plus the cutesy rounded icons of firefox and thunderbird beat the outdated blocky netscape'esque look of full mozilla.

(In process of upgrading every friggin windoze box I encounter to firefox...)

Someone should make a wincrap tool that removes all shortcuts to IE and Outlook and replaces iexplore.exe and outlooks exe with dialog.exe that would tell the user he's a fucking moron. A kludge for windows update would be necessary... neat idea? Too bad service packs and hotfixes usually add those shortcuts back.
"Hate" is too weak a word when it comes to Winshit.

MrX

« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2004, 08:34 »
yes, thats true! mozilla is ugly and boxy like netscape. having just installed mandrakelinux10 yesterday...  ;)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2004, 21:23 »
Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Themes > Modern

Poof!  No Netscape look!  ;)

Also I use a Mac OSX theme for Mozilla.  Can't argue with that look.  
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2004, 18:51 »
This is the theme I use for Mozilla (Firefox theme also included) that I use now (because I'm on KDE and stuff):

http://www.tom-cat.com/mozilla/