Author Topic: Pretty Cool Thing....  (Read 520 times)

LorKorub

• Kudos: 0
Pretty Cool Thing....
« on: 19 June 2002, 13:58 »
I got to school a few minutes early yesterday and decided to go to the library in an attempt to find a few books on Linux (Apache in particular) when I came across one of those "Linux Unleashed" books. Not only is this book filled with good info, but it came with a CD-ROM with SuSE Linux 6.2 in the back.   Granted that 6.2 is a bit behind the times a little, I still thought it was a cool thing.  This also leads me to the "What's everyone's excuse, now?" question.  If you can go to a library, check out a book for free get a free CD-ROM with the OS on it, and have all of the documentation you could possibly need to start out with right at your finger tips, there is no excuse for people not to give Linux a shot.   It tells you how to install and uninstall on the first fucking page.  So, there is no excuse, nor sympathy from me, reagarding the "I need Microsoft to function because I can't afford it/spare the time to download Linux" crowd.  If you can check out a book for three weeks, and get the OS on top of it for free, what could possibly be the excuse?
"American English -- the noble language of your superiors"

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Pretty Cool Thing....
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2002, 16:21 »
i agree 100% with everything you just said!  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Ice-9

• http://users.pandora.be/Ice9
Pretty Cool Thing....
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2002, 16:41 »
There is no excuse, there is just one problem in your argumentation ....
The masses don't really care about learning something new, all they care about is getting home right after work, eat what their wife cooked and sit in front of their tv set.

There is hope though since tomorrow's adults seem to be much more concerned and involved in the computer/internet related stuff.
So don't expect Mr. Anybody to pick up a book every night, even for about a week, just to learn an alternative to what he already knows.
It's much easier to point and click and let Adolf Gates do the thinking for you.

Sad, really sad, but I see this all the time.
It's even hard to get people concerned about the privacy issues of Winblows XPee, they just don't care .....
 :(
He was sitting on a rock. He was barefoot. His feet were frosty with ice-nine .....

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Pretty Cool Thing....
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2002, 17:57 »
Refalm: "Did you know that there are several programmes, even on your computer, spying on you?"

Gigapixel: "What's wrong about that? They can't sue me or anything."

:(

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Pretty Cool Thing....
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2002, 21:23 »
Maybe that explains my resourcefulness and my keen ability to slay the Linux dragon. My wife doesn't cook.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Pretty Cool Thing....
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2002, 23:22 »
I converted two guys to Linux, and one Mac guy to dual boot with Yellowdog (although he was aparantly thinking about it even before I knew him)

Chooco

Pretty Cool Thing....
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2002, 04:47 »
are we like those johomo witness guys? whoever recruits the most new guys gets into computer haxing heaven?  :D

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Pretty Cool Thing....
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2002, 13:30 »
i wish, then i could like listen to that orbital/*atleast thats who i think does it*/ song all day without having to keep playing with xmms/*mmmm techno*/ and yeah, that is the only excuse, not wanting to learn. ive seen it myself. i love to learn things/*mmm yummy chemisty and physics  never cared for biology though*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!