Author Topic: rawrite in linux?  (Read 496 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
rawrite in linux?
« on: 24 August 2002, 19:51 »
Is there a command in linux similar or equivalent to the rawrite found in the dosutils folder of the redhat cdrom? I need to make a kickstart floppy, but don't want to go into windows for it. Thanks.

theangelofdeath69

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.kaltemartech.com/
rawrite in linux?
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2002, 19:53 »
Well, there's actually a free Kickstart-type rescue floppy called Tom's Root Boot Disk which (I think) has an image program with it...
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Stryker

• VIP
rawrite in linux?
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2002, 19:57 »
There are lots of places to get floppies, but I had to make a custom boot image to fit the network card of my computers. I am almost positive linux comes with a way of writing a boot image to a floppy, but sadly I do not know how.

theangelofdeath69

rawrite in linux?
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2002, 19:59 »
Well, I realise that, but it IS a floppy image.  Wouldn't it HAVE to come with an image writing program?
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Stryker

• VIP
rawrite in linux?
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2002, 20:00 »
it does, rawrite.exe in the dosutils of the linux cd.

Stryker

• VIP
rawrite in linux?
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2002, 20:04 »
Aw, I got it. dd... of course, stupid me.

theangelofdeath69

rawrite in linux?
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2002, 20:06 »
Bitch.  Didn't realise that one...

Using dd under Linux to write standard density floppies
  If you have another Linux based system you can use the following to copy the disk image to a 1440kb diskette:

dd if=fd.f14 of=/dev/fd0
or
dd if=fd.f14 of=/dev/fd0 bs=10k
(uses higher blocking factor to get faster write to disk)

Found that in a Google Search...

if is the image file, of is the drive to copy to

:eek:

theangelofdeath69

rawrite in linux?
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2002, 20:08 »
Er, didn't get your post before replying.

What the hell, though

Stryker

• VIP
rawrite in linux?
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2002, 20:08 »
Well now I got to put this little guy to the test, be back later.

theangelofdeath69

rawrite in linux?
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2002, 20:09 »
Hehe.  Cool, CYa