Author Topic: Linux hacked more often than Windows?  (Read 641 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Linux hacked more often than Windows?
« on: 4 August 2004, 02:44 »
This is the sort of thing that Viper normally posts: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39116229,00.htm

quote:

While Linux has long enjoyed a reputation for being more secure than closed source operating systems such as Windows, its rise in popularity has also made it a far more common target for hackers, a new study suggests.

An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most frequently violated, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 per cent of the survey total. Windows ran a distant second with 2,005 attacks. A more specific analysis of government servers also found Linux more susceptible, accounting for 57 per cent of all breaches.

Surly this can't be true.  :confused:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39116229,00.htm
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #1 on: 4 August 2004, 03:01 »
That report didn't count worm attacks.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 4 August 2004, 03:05 »
Do you think they're MS biased?

Do you know where can I go to get more accurate information?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #3 on: 4 August 2004, 03:33 »
What a load of crap!  Shall we leave out the Downloader.Ject victims and count UNIX as Linux while we're at it?  Oh wait, WE DID.

EDIT: What does this prove, class?
"That more people need to learn BASIC SECURITY SKILLS before switching to Linux?"
Very good!

EDIT 2: Proof that ZDnet is MS-biased.  Read the headline, then read THIS excerpt:

"The swift adoption of Linux last year within the online government and non-government server community, coupled with inadequate training and knowledge on how to keep that environment secure when running vulnerable third party applications, has contributed to a consistently higher proportion of compromised Linux servers," mi2g executive chairman DK Matai said in a statement.
-- Emphasis added.

ANY SYSTEM IS UNSECURE WHEN YOU DON'T BOTHER LEARNING BASIC SECURITY.

[ August 03, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate ]

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #4 on: 4 August 2004, 07:07 »
"The mi2g study concentrated on 'overt digital attacks' and didn't include more general forms of attack such as viruses and worms."

In short, Windows can be violated automatically and rampantly through viruses and worms while Linux requires an "overt digital attack."  

Perhaps Windows would be violated more frequently through "overt digital attacks" if it wasn't so overwhelmingly easy to compromise it with a worm or virus.

Anyway, you can harden Linux.  You can firewall, patch safely, restrict permissions, and enable SELinux.  What choices do you have for Windows?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #5 on: 4 August 2004, 07:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
"The mi2g study concentrated on 'overt digital attacks' and didn't include more general forms of attack such as viruses and worms."

In short, Windows can be violated automatically and rampantly through viruses and worms while Linux requires an "overt digital attack."  

Perhaps Windows would be violated more frequently through "overt digital attacks" if it wasn't so overwhelmingly easy to compromise it with a worm or virus.

Quoted for truth.

quote:

Anyway, you can harden Linux.  You can firewall, patch safely, restrict permissions, and enable SELinux.  What choices do you have for Windows?

Plenty.  The issue here, though, is that they're all HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE.  The end-user shouldn't HAVE to dump $200 into a broadband router just to shunt malicious traffic (even though that's what I did).

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

savet

• Kudos: 228
« Reply #6 on: 4 August 2004, 11:17 »
I don't know what today's statistic is, but at one point I thought about 80% of web servers were running a Redhat/Apache combo.  If this statistic was true, and every server was compromised, 80% of the compromised servers would still be Linux.  That doesn't sound too impressive to me.

What would be more impressive would be the percentage of servers running a particular OS vs the number of servers running that OS that were compromised.  That's the only way these statistics will be helpful.

IMHO, this is like saying that 100 people died from gunshot wounds and we need more gun control....when 90 of those gunshots were suicide.  The statistics are correct, but the logic is flawed.
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...