Author Topic: Redhat 9 Install (to prove your stereotypes wrong)  (Read 423 times)

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
Because I hear these horrid comments about Linux being hard to install, I bring you this review of my latest Linux install experience: Redhat 9: Shrike.

I bittorrent'ed the 3 install ISOs, burned them (with my USB CD-R/RW CD Burner which was autodetected by Linux and was available immediately) and popped them in the PC. The redhat installer asked me if I wanted text/graphical mode, I wanted graphical of course so I pressed enter. It asked me if I wanted to scan the media (optional, to make sure the burner didnt fk up), so I scanned the first CD. Then I went on and it started the Redhat installer (anaconda). VERY pretty. I clicked Next, chose my language, etc then got to the keyboard and mouse stuff. First of all, I didn't change the mouse stuff! It DID autodetect the mouse, it's there in case it fails! sheesh.

Then the keyboard stuff, it was set on English so I just clicked Next. It showed a nice little package selection thingy, and I chose the package series I wanted and pressed next. It asked for the administrator password and a first username and then it installed. A half an hour and two CD switches later it was installed and I rebooted. I saw a pretty Redhat bootloader (grub). I chose Redhat Linux 9 and continued. It took a few seconds, showing various messages with color coded [Ok]'s etc. I got in and it was very beautiful. GDM has a nice Redhat theme. I logged in and came upon the Desktop. The fonts and icons were very smooth and crisp. I messed around, checking internet and all. Everything worked. I popped a CD-RW into my CD burner and up popped Nautilus's CD Burner window. I put some files in there and clicked Burn. That worked (btw IOMagic says my drive isnt supported in Linux whatsoever) It burned fine. I clicked Redhat menu->System Settings->Printers and clicked Add Printer, then scrolled down to HP 712c and clicked OK. It installed that and it worked perfectly from gedit, mozilla, and kwrite. I messed around with some CDs, and each CD-rom (burner included) had an icon on the desktop, and Redhat gave me a Nautilus window when inserted.  For the redhat cd's it started the Redhat CD Install helper thing too, (autorun stuff). OpenOffice, Mozilla and all worked perfect and looked right at home with BlueCurve. KDE and GNOME/GTK+1/2 apps all looked identical. The only difference I could see was in Mozilla (because the menu mouseover's wasn't blue hehe). The only complaint I have about Redhat is it's rampant want for the root pw for everything I do. The administrator settings authorization in the notification area only lasts for like a minute. Also I couldn't find an option to enable DRI (and I dont want to go inside Redhat after all this perfection).

Therefore there are very few things Redhat needs to improve on the hardware detection. (maybe more devices, I cant test them all so idk)

My hardware set up for that PC is:
   (most stuff straight from HP)
   - 800 mhz Pentium III
   - 128 MB RAM
   - Linksys Network Everywhere 10/100 ethernet
   - i810 graphics chipset, onboard audio
   - HP 712c printer via parallel port
   - USB optical mouse with scroll wheel and 2 buttons
   - HP internet keyboard
   - HP MX10 monitor (detected the name and all too   )
   - IOMagic ImageWriter USB CD-R/RW 4x4x6 (MegaSlow)

One thing I haven't even tried was the internet keyboard buttons. I'll get to it next time I'm downstairs

Someone *please* contradict me and I will prove you wrong (unless it's a nice valid argument).
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Redhat 9 Install (to prove your stereotypes wrong)
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2003, 06:37 »
I'm installing 9.0 this minute. I did however, install it on my ex-girlfreinds machine last night. She was very happy with it. So was I. Immediately it picked up the two windows machines in her apartment and we were able to connect without modifying the smb.conf file. The general look and feel was alot cleaner than 8.0. It felt better. I haven't had a chance to play with it to any extent, but my first impressions were good. Plus the ex is already way more proficient in Linux than me (she has been learning FreeBSD at work). It was very cool. Looks like i will be asking her questions now.

By the way. The install is super easy. every Linux distro i have installed has been easy. Windows is harder to install and gives you no control over what is being installed. So anyone who says Linux is hard to install is a fucking moron and should have their short-bus crash into a wall, and burst into flames...

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2003, 21:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Solo:
Because I hear these horrid comments about Linux being hard to install, I bring you this review of my latest Linux install experience: Redhat 9: Shrike.

I got the 3 install ISOs, from linux ISO.org, burned them (with my IDE CD-R/RW CD Burner which was autodetected by Linux and was available immediately) and popped them in the PC. The redhat installer asked me if I wanted text/graphical mode, I wanted graphical of course so I pressed enter. It asked me if I wanted to scan the media (optional, to make sure the burner didnt fk up), so I scanned the first CD. Then I went on and it started the Redhat installer (anaconda). VERY pretty. I clicked Next, chose my language, etc then got to the keyboard and mouse stuff. First of all, I didn't change the mouse stuff! It DID autodetect the mouse, it's there in case it fails! sheesh.

Then the keyboard stuff, it was set on English so I just clicked Next. It showed a nice little package selection thingy, and I chose the package series I wanted and pressed next. It asked for the administrator password and a first username and then it installed. A half an hour and two CD switches later it was installed and I rebooted. I saw a pretty Redhat bootloader (grub). I chose Redhat Linux 9 and continued. It took a few seconds, showing various messages with color coded [Ok]'s etc. I got in and it was very beautiful. KDE has a nice Redhat theme. I logged in and came upon the Desktop. The fonts and icons were very smooth and crisp. I messed around, checking internet and all. Everything worked. I popped a CD-RW into my CD burner and up popped Nautilus's CD Burner window. I put some files in there and clicked Burn. That worked (btw IOMagic says my drive isnt supported in Linux whatsoever) It burned fine. I clicked Redhat menu->System Settings->Printers and clicked Add Printer, then scrolled down to HP 3320 and clicked OK. It installed that and it worked perfectly from gedit, mozilla, and kwrite. I messed around with some CDs, and each CD-rom (burner included) had an icon on the desktop, and Redhat gave me a Nautilus window when inserted.  For the redhat cd's it started the Redhat CD Install helper thing too, (autorun stuff). OpenOffice, Mozilla and all worked perfect and looked right at home with BlueCurve. KDE and GNOME/GTK+1/2 apps all looked identical. The only difference I could see was in Mozilla (because the menu mouseover's wasn't blue hehe). The only complaint I have about Redhat is it's rampant want for the root pw for everything I do. The administrator settings authorization in the notification area only lasts for like a minute. Also I couldn't find an option to enable DRI (and I dont want to go inside Redhat after all this perfection).

Therefore there are very few things Redhat needs to improve on the hardware detection. (maybe more devices, I cant test them all so idk)

My hardware set up for that PC is:
   (most stuff straight from HP)
   - AMD Athlon 1900+
   - 512 MB RAM
   - Netgear FA-320 10/100 ethernet
   - ATI Radeon 7200
        - Creative Labs SB Live!
   - HP Deskjet 3320 printer via USB port
   - PS/2 optical mouse with scroll wheel and 2 buttons
   - Keyboard
   - Evision 17 in monitor (detected the name and all too            )
   - IDE CD-R/RW 4x2x24

my story is very similar. that is why I just changed the relavant bits (changes in italics)

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: [email protected]ldomain ]

2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 1 June 2003, 06:20 »
wow. first post from redHat9.0. can we say anti-aliased fonts? damn. and i just learned a little shell stuff. fun. happy. i think its time to actually use this computer for everyday tasks like internet, email, gimp, html stuff. since i always fail to do that and then bitch about it later  ;)
impressions so far are very good.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #4 on: 1 June 2003, 08:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:
i think its time to actually use this computer for gimp

HA HA HA. HILARIOUS.

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #5 on: 1 June 2003, 21:01 »
i was hoping i could flame some one out for doubting me. the pc I installed rh9 on i had recently installed XP on (it's my ma's pc, she's slowly checking out Linux). So I have installed both very near each other and I really think even if I wasn't an open source advocate and fanatic that people would find Redhat's installation easier and more enjoyable. Plus, Redhat installed much more stuff and it took about the same time   . Down with the Hard Linux Install rumour
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 1 June 2003, 10:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:

HA HA HA. HILARIOUS.

LOL ROFLMAO.... ehh. i mean. since i "photoshop" alot, its time to actually get familiar with GIMP.

blackphiber

• Kudos: 0
    • http://blackphiber.no-ip.org
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2003, 06:21 »
I installed RH 9 on my dads computer.  When I try to explain the whole open source thing he just asks "are you sure this is not illegal" cough *idiot* cough.  sorry just I think I am going to go crazy with all these people who have had their minds corrupted by Microshit.  I just cannot wait till the day when MS goes down.  My sister thinks she is the all great computer wiz and thinks MS is the greatest thing ever.  Really I must be the only intelligent one in the family.  I don't really know what I am try to post/say and I don't think this really fits under Redhat 9 install but I just felt like I had to say something.  Any tips on what I should do?

Faust

« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2003, 08:42 »
Meh, you seem to be doing pretty well already if you're interested in Linux and know that Microsoft sucks.  Give them time.   ;)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

blackphiber

• http://blackphiber.no-ip.org
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2003, 12:01 »
yeah guess your right, thanks.