Author Topic: What Microsoft REALLY Sends  (Read 891 times)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
What Microsoft REALLY Sends
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2003, 07:46 »
This confirms that Microsoft does not collect personal data with WPA. So what?

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2003, 20:04 »
So, there's always been bitching about this here.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2003, 22:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Fett101:
So, there's always been bitching about this here.

The bitching isn't about what it collects, it's that it collects it at all.

There is no reason for a piece of sortware to collect any data and phone it home without the users concent. Furthermore, WMP is pretty cavalier in the attitude of "were not sending anything privet, so it's ok." Because the very nature of the WMP EULA says they can gather any info they want!

Their not doing it now, but what's to stop them in the futre concerning that nearly everyone clicked the "I agree" button.

Just because eating a little arsnic one time won't kill you, dosn't maen a gradual increese in dosage over time is a good thing.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Kupotek

• Kudos: 0
    • http://kupotek.dyndns.org
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2003, 13:28 »
quote:
Just because eating a little arsnic one time won't kill you, dosn't maen a gradual increese in dosage over time is a good thing.

Wisdom. And it's something  AMerican Society at large lacks, understanding of how actions today  effect the world tomorrow or ten years down the road.

Companies like Microsoft bet on this to stay true, knowing America is more likely to   not realize anything until it's toi late to do anything about. Microsoft has always worked this way, and will continue to work this way.
"The only thing that is impossible is the possibility of impossibility" KittySafe Ntwrk.

wargames_guru

« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2003, 06:08 »
eerrrr......some people just don't get it. One should not have to call uncle bill and get permission to upgrade hardware on their box. simple as that.
EOL  
Adore is useless......long live
FreakyG.

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2003, 21:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by wargames_guru:
eerrrr......some people just don't get it. One should not have to call uncle bill and get permission to upgrade hardware on their box. simple as that.
EOL    

simply put
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

Faust

« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2003, 04:18 »
Pah, you hippies should get over the idea that you "own" your computers.  Everything belongs to Stal...  er Micro...  the community.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

gump420

« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2003, 04:29 »
So much for the whole idea behind Apple's famous "1984" commercial.  M$ is succeeding at becoming Big Brother anyway.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2003, 05:36 »
I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried to collect our bank account information (if they already dont). asking for it during "Activation" so they can make a small withdrawl of 20-40 cents, the second phase of "Activation" would be to tell them the ammount they withdrew. Of course 20-40 cents is probably a large understatement for microsoft. Or perhaps they'll hand out CDs but have the installer do a similiar thing, forcing you to pay by bank account or credit card. I probably should delete this... dont want to give anyone ideas now. I see it happening though, a nice new way of collecting our [well, windows users'] personal information.

ciaran

« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2003, 16:20 »
i think that eventually you'll be able to pick up MS software for "free" in a store and then you'll pay for it during installation/registration/activation via bank a/c details or credit card details... it'd be a great way to collect personal information and people would "purchase" more M$ products if they felt like they were walking out of a store with the product for free...
Dignity, Confidence, Courage, Compassion, Faith.

"Gather the five virtues, then you are a man."

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2003, 16:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by maghor:
So much for the whole idea behind Apple's famous "1984" commercial.  M$ is succeeding at becoming Big Brother anyway.

that was aimed at IBM, not microsoft. and as such it was a successful campaign. if only apple had realised a few years sooner about microsoft instead of pansying around running after jobs and then sinking itself ever deeper with the string of no hopers that followed him.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2003, 16:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by ciaran:
i think that eventually you'll be able to pick up MS software for "free" in a store and then you'll pay for it during installation/registration/activation via bank a/c details or credit card details... it'd be a great way to collect personal information and people would "purchase" more M$ products if they felt like they were walking out of a store with the product for free...

hmm... what gave you that idea?

ciaran

« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2003, 18:02 »
i just feel that there is a drive from companies, not only Microsoft, to unearth as much personal info about customers as possible... <crossing my fingers i don't get flamed>to me this would be a logical step to follow</crossing my fingers i don't get flamed>... the software would be worthless without activation, documentation could be posted or made available on line... it's a perfect way to get details while appealing to human nature (i.e. "seemingly" free software)...

btw i couldn't care less if Microsoft/bill/george bush/n. e. other want to know what's on my dad's XP box (software/hardware) and i think that the hysteria surrounding ET, sorry i mean XP, phoning home is, has, and will continue to be blown way out of proportion... hmmm maybe i'm in the wrong topic for this subject, sorry...  
Dignity, Confidence, Courage, Compassion, Faith.

"Gather the five virtues, then you are a man."

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2003, 19:44 »
i was being sarcastic... i said almost the same thing right before you.