Author Topic: Kernel 265 problems btw..  (Read 904 times)

DukePuke

• Kudos: 0
Kernel 265 problems btw..
« on: 26 April 2004, 13:09 »
I first time compiled kenel, but image in boot, edit lilo.conf file, to direct it to that new image, typed "lilo" in konsole, to overwrite MBR, but btw that was not fun instead.

FIrst of all i launched 2.6.5, it was incredible slow.  It spited some kind of libraries. Then X launched, it prompted about problems with my soundcard. ADSL doesnt worked. Mice speed was twice as normal. KDE was veeeery slow. I think i just forget to configure something, but i dont have clue what. Please help  ;)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2004, 15:04 »
I think you forgot to configure your new kernel for YOUR PC  

If you compile it with the default kernel configuration file, it won't load the drivers for your motherboard, video-card or sound-card from the kernel.

A "problem" (not really, OSS drivers suck) with the 2.6 kernel could be that it uses ALSA for the sound.

So, you'd better configure it  ;)

Open Konsole and try:

su
* enter root password *
cd /usr/src
make xconfig

You'll now see a configuration utility from which you can configure the Linux kernel. Save when you're done by clicking on the floppy icon, and do:

make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

Making modules and install may take a while, so you'd better have a Game Boy or something at hand  

DukePuke

« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2004, 21:45 »
hehe looks like i forgot stuff with modules.. Btw even make bzImage takes fuckin long (10 mins), i fear to do make modules, you say i need gameboy?

thanks, i will reply after compiling this shit ;]

DukePuke

« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2004, 21:47 »
btw my linux source is located in /home/user_directory/linux btw should i had to putit in /usr/src/ ??

DukePuke

« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2004, 22:26 »
btw i followed your steps, and the same shit happens. no intenet, problems, 640x480 rezolution, and so on. i think i need to do such kind of kernell configuration before compiling, but actualy i dont know what to do in there, so many unknown words btw i think everything should be ok by default so i changed nothing.  (heard that ppl uncheck some shit and make kernell smaller, until 1MB)

btw looks like my gkrellm will not monitor CPU temp/FAN speeds, and i will stick with 2.4.20 again ;(

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2004, 00:47 »
1.  You should only enable things you need.  That's the whole purpose of compiling the kernel.  ;)

2.  For 2.6, there's a new package called "module-init-tools" that you need for modules to load with a 2.6 kernel.  So, you might want to build everything you need into the kernel image.

3.  Kernel 2.6 requires that you reformat your swap partition.  That's why your system is so slow.  ;)
I suggest you try to get things working (if slowly) first, before you do that.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

insomnia

« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2004, 03:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by DukePuke:
btw i followed your steps, and the same shit happens. no intenet, problems, 640x480 rezolution, and so on. i think i need to do such kind of kernell configuration before compiling, but actualy i dont know what to do in there, so many unknown words btw i think everything should be ok by default so i changed nothing.  (heard that ppl uncheck some shit and make kernell smaller, until 1MB)

btw looks like my gkrellm will not monitor CPU temp/FAN speeds, and i will stick with 2.4.20 again ;(

No you didn't follow any steps.
Before insulting people, just try it.

[ April 27, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

insomnia

« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2004, 03:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
1.  You should only enable things you need.  That's the whole purpose of compiling the kernel.     ;)  

He should ask.
He's acting plain stupid.

quote:
2.  For 2.6, there's a new package called "module-init-tools" that you need for modules to load with a 2.6 kernel.  So, you might want to build everything you need into the kernel image.

That's how a default 2.6 kernel works.

quote:
3.  Kernel 2.6 requires that you reformat your swap partition.  That's why your system is so slow.     ;)    
I suggest you try to get things working (if slowly) first, before you do that.

His system is slow cause he didn't configure his own kernel.

[ April 26, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

DukePuke

« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2004, 20:02 »
btw i think (and i said) that i am not experienced to do that kernel shit. But of couse that was not bad practise, learned some about kernel kompling, lilo and some more serious shit, that kernel image names "bzImage" , lol. Btw i though ar first that linux kernel is some kind of vmlinuz (5MB size), so i put this file in /boot/ do with lilo, lol then i load PC, it prompts that kernel image is too big  ;)  that was funny btw..

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2004, 00:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by DukePuke:
kernel kompling

I think we need to start spelling it that way.  :D

Anyways, it might be good to download the latest 2.4 kernel (I think it's .26) and compile/install that.  It's easier than an upgrade to 2.6, and your system will probably speed up due to the kernel being smaller.  I ran Slackware 9.1 on a custom kernel of 937k, as opposed to the default 1.2mb (that didn't support all my hardware).  So that could help  

Oh, and I just wanna say, good for you trying an advanced distro like Slackware first.  You're brave, and all that stuff you learn will really help later on.  I did the same.  
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

DukePuke

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2004, 12:20 »
why to stick with some kind of 2.4xx kernel, if i need 2.6.5 (latest). I want to use additional gkrellm feature - monitor CPU temp, fan speed, etc. And i want extra speed, you all said 2.6.5 is faster then 2.4x. Ok but i will explain you my problem more:

then i launch Linux with 2.6.5 , it DONT load any module. I checked with lsmod, and list was c0mpletly empty.. modprobe thing do nothing too.

Actualy during kernel installation i typed:

"make xconfig" (cfg)
"make bzImage"
"make modules"
"make modules_install" (and after this command, i got  message, i miss some kind of module init tool"

thats all, thanks i hope you will not be non-sense to my little prob  ;)

DukePuke

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2004, 12:42 »
btw looks like i need to upgrade my slack 9.0 -> 9.1 for this. Just got it. This is funny thing

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2004, 14:00 »
quote:
DukePuke: btw looks like i need to upgrade my slack 9.0 -> 9.1 for this. Just got it. This is funny thing

That may help  :rolleyes:

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2004, 06:15 »
im running some version of slackware, i think ill call it hackware cuase alot of the software thats installed was done by hand. and my boot loader is a remnant of a redhat 8.0 installation. there is a mystery 8gb partition floating around i have to go find sometime. but back to the point. make sure you have the needed modutiles and other needed garbage to compile it. it seems to work quite nice over here
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!