Author Topic: running X under freeBSD  (Read 442 times)

juris

• Kudos: 0
running X under freeBSD
« on: 15 March 2002, 17:07 »
I have question about how to organize login with xdm? It only works if XFree86 is with suid bit, which is unsecure (i heard). So, when XFree86 is with suid bit, everything is Ok. I can start X from shell with startx or even use xdm. But is there workaround without having to set suid bit for X?
And one more question - how a simple user can mount CDROm or floppy? Under linux I used option owner (i think, or maybe user) in /etc/fstab, but FreeBSD seems not to support it any of these.

I am using FreeBSD 4.4, XFree86 4.1

Thanks.

juR!$

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: juris ]

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: juris ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
running X under freeBSD
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2002, 04:53 »
In Linux X is started via Xwrapper which is SUID root. I believe X needs to run as root although it should appropriately load the window manager and any other X apps as the user that is logged on.  This is normal behavior. xdm should not be SUID root though.

As far as how to mount the CD as a normal user in BSD you could use the "sudo" command if nothing else. Another way you could do it is to SUID root the mount command but I would *strongly* recommend against the latter method. Then users could mount anything.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

juris

• Kudos: 0
running X under freeBSD
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2002, 15:01 »
Just wanted to say, that I've solved these problems. Thanks.
Althogh, I took a little time to get X to start with Xwrapper. That's 'cause i couldn't find any manual. But finally everything worked out by creating .xserverrc in homedir and putting line Xwrapper in it.