Author Topic: Would these computer parts be compatible with Mandrake Linux?  (Read 610 times)

nintendo

• Kudos: 0
I am going to build my own computer when I get a job and this is what I am going to put into it.

$164    -    Pentium 4 2.4GHz 800
$183    -   RADEON 9800 Pro 128MB
$126     -      ASUS P4P800 Motherboard P4P800 Deluxe
$122    -    PC2100 DDR 1GB
$69    -    17in Monitor
$6    -    V.92 Modem
$40      -      Mandrake Linux
$53      EIDE 60.0GB
$18    -    IDE 48X CD-Rom Drive
$12    -    Natural Pro keyboard
$4    -    Optical mouse

The price comes to $797 and I got most of the prices off pricewatch.com.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: nintendo ]

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
Would these computer parts be compatible with Mandrake Linux?
« Reply #1 on: 1 October 2003, 04:26 »
God what is it with everyone and the Pentium 4's ?

There really nothing to get excited over.
All your base are belong to us.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #3 on: 1 October 2003, 06:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
Supported Hardware Database

quote:
$40 - Mandrake Linux

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #4 on: 1 October 2003, 06:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by mushrooomprince:
God what is it with everyone and the Pentium 4's ?

There really nothing to get excited over.

What is it with you and Athlons? They are nothing to get excited over. Besides, those Pentium 4's are faster than the AthlonXP's and that 2.4ghz gem isn't very expensive. As a matter of fact, I'd like for you to have a look at this thread.

Not only did the guy I was helping find satisfaction in his new found P4 2.4c, but some other people went with the setup just from reading the thread. Anyways, have a look at reply #69 (he is one of the people who went with the setup just from reading the thread).

http://www.forumplanet.com/planethardware/topic.asp?fid=3709&tid=1141938&p=5

If you don't want to read it, I'll take it upon myself to quote him. ;P

quote:
reply from Mutus@PHF

quote:
Well, I got XP installed and all is good. Everything is running pretty stable at 3.12Ghz. and besides XP I invested $400!!! Let me just say, this system FLIES and for the money, how can you beat it?

Anyone looking to upgrade to a new computer should really think hard about following the advice of this thread. Viper really knows what he's talking about and for the skeptical, there is a review through GameSpyDaily that confirms it (http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/cpu/intel/p4/2.4c/index.htm).

It's a little bit of work and it took me a while to get everything up and going but looking back, it's because I was going very slowly to be absolutely sure of what I was doing. If you are comfortable installing hardware you can handle this.

It's amazing that you can build such a powerful machine for so little money (assuming you have a left-over monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer). You simply won't get anywhere near this kind of a deal at a retailer.

Thanks again Viper!

I'm serious mushroom, that P4 2.4c is better than any Athlon XP on the market...hands down. Get over the fact that AMD is no longer the price/performance leader buddy. ;P

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

emh

« Reply #5 on: 1 October 2003, 07:05 »
Well, I've got an Athlon XP, and it goes extremely fast.  I'm not sure how much faster you can get than  instantaneous.

I'm of the belief that neither Intel nor AMD are better than the other.  Benchmarks I've seen put the AMD with the lower clock speed as actually faster than the Intel with the same clock speed.  However, the Intels have the advantage of under-clocking themselves in case the cooling fan ever went out.

I went with AMD on this computer because it was cheaper for the same power I would have gotten with Intel.

Zombie9920

« Reply #6 on: 1 October 2003, 07:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by emh:
Well, I've got an Athlon XP, and it goes extremely fast.  I'm not sure how much faster you can get than  instantaneous.

I'm of the belief that neither Intel nor AMD are better than the other.  Benchmarks I've seen put the AMD with the lower clock speed as actually faster than the Intel with the same clock speed.  However, the Intels have the advantage of under-clocking themselves in case the cooling fan ever went out.

I went with AMD on this computer because it was cheaper for the same power I would have gotten with Intel.

Now I would be lying if I were to say that Athlons were slow(because they aren't)...they just aren't the best for your money anymore and they certainly are far from the fastest(unless you spend over $1100 on a Athlon FX/mobo/Registered Ram setup).. Back when you got your Athlon the P4c probably didn't exist. Back in those days the Athlon was the best price/performance chip. Intel created a real winner with the 2.4c It offers an excellent price and it is capable of running as fast as their top of the line P4c(non-extreme edition). you can't beat really high-end performance for a budget level price.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 3 October 2003, 19:11 »
$164    -    Pentium 4 2.4GHz 800

YES

$183    -   RADEON 9800 Pro 128MB

YES

$126     -      ASUS P4P800 Motherboard P4P800 Deluxe

YES

YES

$69    -    17in Monitor

YES

$6    -    V.92 Modem

YES, Even if it is a winmodem, Mandrake made a huge effort getting winmodems to work with 9.1.

$53      EIDE 60.0GB

YES

$18    -    IDE 48X CD-Rom Drive

YES

$12    -    Natural Pro keyboard

YES, However it may take some extra effort to get special keyboard keys working.

$4    -    Optical mouse

YES, However I have yet to get my mouse scroll to work on any mouse Ive used with linux.

All of the equipment you have listed will probably work.

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: ThePreacher ]

Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

Faust

« Reply #8 on: 3 October 2003, 20:04 »
quote:
YES, However it may take some extra effort to get special keyboard keys working.

"hotkeys" for me was very usable and easy if that helps anyone.  I just "apt-get install hotkeys" but I'm sure google should find an installer.  Really fun cos I can rig up the squishy keys for anything, so now I have quick xterms, mozilla, konqueror and audio controls.  :)  Still trying to make the Internet Explorer key display a BSOD screensaver though.  :)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Zombie9920

« Reply #9 on: 3 October 2003, 20:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: ThePreacher ]

For that setup you would be better off with 512MB of PC3200 than you would with 1GB of PC2100. That PC2100 memory won't get near the 6.4gbps that the system is capable of. I don't even know if PC2100 is supported by that board.

Get 2 identicle sticks of Ram so you can put them in Dual Channel DDR mode and get twice as much memory bandwidth and performance(2x256MB sticks for 512MB, 2x512MB sticks for 1GB, etc.).

[ October 03, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #10 on: 4 October 2003, 03:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

YES, However I have yet to get my mouse scroll to work on any mouse Ive used with linux.

With Redhat its as simple as selecting the "Scroll Wheel" version of your mouse during installation. Very simple. Im sure Mandrake has a way to do it too. At the low level, making scroll wheels work is very simple, just add the ZAxisMapping option stuff to XF86Config and your done so I dont know why mandrake would not support it.
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #11 on: 4 October 2003, 03:52 »
if X11 were dead and gone, replaced by something better, the way it should be, scroll wheels would be universally supported
Go the fuck ~