Author Topic: wish me luck  (Read 695 times)

magnuslee21

• Kudos: 0
wish me luck
« on: 8 January 2002, 00:40 »
im about to finally kill off m$ and install mandrake 8.1
if this dont work god help us all ill have to go back to windows  :eek:

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: 8 January 2002, 03:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by magnus lee:
im about to finally kill off m$ and install mandrake 8.1
if this dont work god help us all ill have to go back to windows   :eek:  

I've been running RedHat for a *long* time and I've been hearing a lot of good things about Mandrake 8.1 here on the web site and on other web sites so I downloaded the CDs and wiped out my RedHat 7.2 on my Laptop and installed Mandrake 8.1.  I was pretty impressed with the pretty installation, however, Mandrake did not appear to like my LinkSys PCMCIA network card so I had no choice but to wipe it out and reinstall RedHat 7.2. RedHat has no problem with this card.  I've done a lot of net searching and aparently the LinkSys used to work in 8.0 and before and it mysteriously stopped working in 8.1.  I'm sure I could have made it work by installing a different kernel but I wasn't that energetic.

Besides, after install it's all pretty much the same thing anyhoo.  I don't use the GUI tools which are the only real differences between them.  The underlying tools are all pretty much the same.

Good luck, and if anyone knows a quick fix to getting the LinkSys PCMCIA network card to work with 8.1 I might try it again.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...