Author Topic: Does anyone know a good C/C++ IDE (Integrated Development Enviroment) for Linux?  (Read 717 times)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
As the title states, does anyone know a good C/++ IDE for Linux? I foun kdevelop, but I don't really like it..

markdcc

• Kudos: 0
I like source-navigator from redhat, although it isn't as complete as KDevelop, it is farily straightforward.  You will have to use a separate GUI editor though.

TheQuirk

• VIP
thanks.. i'll check it out.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
VIM is my editor of choice for all languages. I used to like GUI IDEs but not any more. Now I just prefer to have multiple terms open, editing source in one, compiling in another, running in another, etc, etc...

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

TheQuirk

• VIP
VoidMan, what C/++ IDE were you using?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
I used to use all the Borland IDEs for TP/BP/TC/BC/C++/Delphi/TASM etc when I *used* to do a lot of M$ programming.  But since I've seen the light I prefer to use VIM for everything from editing system files, to writing HTML, to writing shell/perl/PHP scripts, to C/C++ programming. Once you learn it you can't do without it. It's one powerful editor.  You can even set it up to compile your apps from within VIM but I prefer not to do that. Emacs is also capable of that, but I never did like Emacs personally.

And VIM will do Syntax hilighting for everything under the sun. I couldn't live without the powerful search/replace capabilities.

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

badkarma

• VIP
I like kate very much ... it's not really a IDE though, but a very flexible editor, with a less steep learning curve then emacs/vi. If you got the time to learn emacs/vi I would recommend that you do though......
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
actaully, i though that emacs/xemacs was an c++ ide /* and everything else i have thrown at it*/, cuase when i go to make c++ code obey me, it says something about loading c++ modules and there is a little tab that says c++ that can do some good stuff
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

dbl221

I have to echo VoidMain ... Vim is the best editor/IDE.  There is also a open-edition of Borlands Kylix available free for linux.  Really the OS is a development emvironment, thats Unix/Linux.
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
There are a couple of good ones. The newest version of Qt that comes with KDE 3.0 is much improved in that it now will allow you to create main windows graphically. The older versions limited you to just creating dialogs. Glade (GNOME) is even better as a graphical designer. I also heard of another development that was called "Komodo" (?) However, it wasn't free. I'll have to look into that one further.

Live Free or Die: Linux

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?